Leeds v Derby - Reports/Ratings Inc the Full Match

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Derby - Reports/Ratings Inc the Full Match

Post by 1964white »

Leeds United will assess Liam Cooper ahead of their Championship clash with Derby County at Elland Road on Friday night.

With Pontus Jansson suspended following his yellow card in the FA Cup defeat of Cambridge United on Monday, Garry Monk's side are a little short of options at the back.

There is, though, better news regarding midfielder Eunan O'Kane, who was back in United's squad on Monday after a month out with a groin injury.

Winger Hadi Sacko is expected to recover in time for the Derby game, too, while Leeds are continuing to assess left-back Charlie Taylor, who has been on the sidelines with an Achilles problem since Christmas.
Screenshot 2017-01-11 at 13.50.26.png
Leeds United's Liam Cooper was on crutches after the 2-1 defeat of Cambridge United on Monday

Monk said of Cooper, who left the Abbey Stadium on crutches following the 2-1 win for the Yorkshire side: "It was an impact injury, a clash of legs, so we're hoping it's not too serious.

"It inflamed straight away so there was no risk from us. We took him off and we're hoping it settles down and he'll be ready for Friday.

"We have to deal with whatever's thrown at us. It's the hand we get dealt and we have to overcome it. Our mentality's strong but we're very hopeful that Coops will be okay.

"It's nothing too serious and if he's not (available) we'll come up with something to make sure we adapt."
1964white

Re: Leeds v Derby - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Difficult to know which team Monk will go with due to the injuries within the squad

I personally think it could be :

Green

Coyle Bartley Ayling Berardi

Bridcutt Vieira

Sacko Hernandez O'Kane or Dallas

Wood

Really hoping Cooper & Taylor have recovered from their injuries but I suspect they won't be 100% fit to start
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think Coyle was so much better than Denton on Monday and think Monk will recognise that. If Cooper is fit then I would think He'll drop in for Ayling who in turn would replace Coyle.

Green

Bridcutt Vieira

Sacko Hernandez Dallas

Wood
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I think Coyle was so much better than Denton on Monday and think Monk will recognise that. If Cooper is fit then I would think He'll drop in for Ayling who in turn would replace Coyle.

Green

Bridcutt Vieira

Sacko Hernandez Dallas

Wood
You're right mate Coyle was our 3rd best player on the night imo so I've changed my line-up which I believe is similar to yours :tup:

Only problem is Sacko doesn't protect his full-back very well so there could be a case for playing Dallas on the right as he did at Cambridge & bringing in Roofe on the left although Sacko has played on the left flank where we have the experience of the more defensively minded Berardi on that side
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:You're right mate Coyle was our 3rd best player on the night imo so I've changed my line-up which I believe is similar to yours :tup:

Only problem is Sacko doesn't protect his full-back very well so there could be a case for playing Dallas on the right as he did at Cambridge & bringing in Roofe on the left although Sacko has played on the left flank where we have the experience of the more defensively minded Berardi on that side
I did toy between Sacko and Roofe as Sacko does frustrate the life out of me but he's the only one we've got with that sort of pace.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I know we're all concerned about this game, about lack of depth in central defence, but if we have to take a hit and come out of the game with nil points, and Sheffield Wed win, we still keep our top six position ( I think). Hopefully we will win, hopefully a bumper crowd will roar the lads home. Who is going to the game and who will be watching on tv?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I know we're all concerned about this game, about lack of depth in central defence, but if we have to take a hit and come out of the game with nil points, and Sheffield Wed win, we still keep our top six position ( I think). Hopefully we will win, hopefully a bumper crowd will roar the lads home. Who is going to the game and who will be watching on tv?
I'm going Swan :-D two in a week for a not so well little 'ol man
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I love Monk's comments when he says :

"We have to deal with whatever's thrown at us. It's the hand we get dealt and we have to overcome it. Our mentality's strong but we're very hopeful that Coops will be okay.

"It's nothing too serious and if he's not (available) we'll come up with something to make sure we adapt."
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Green

Bridcutt Vieira

Sacko Roofe Dallas

Wood
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For me the key thing here is that Monk should likely know whether Cooper will be available or not and as such Ayling can have been training as a centre back to get his brain switched to playing central rather than in the Liverpool game where he had to switch mid game after playing regularly, and presumably training solely, as a right back. I know many people will think it should't be that hard to switch from right back to centreback but it is completely different.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:For me the key thing here is that Monk should likely know whether Cooper will be available or not and as such Ayling can have been training as a centre back to get his brain switched to playing central rather than in the Liverpool game where he had to switch mid game after playing regularly, and presumably training solely, as a right back. I know many people will think it should't be that hard to switch from right back to centreback but it is completely different.
Yes totally different Weasel

I suspect as you hinted Ayling's training this week will be concentrated in a CB role
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

roofe will start for sure

hernandez or sacko hopefully on bench instead
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Taylor misses out v Derby
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Will be very interesting line I for GM to pick . Wouldn't be obviously relying on Cooper.
Though I rate him and like him to do well of course it'll be a big test for Leeds United . At home we can and must win our games .. though this one will be tight ...anyone take a draw ? Thought not let's get at 'em.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Think this is the game where Pablo must start. I would put him instead of Douk, who unlike the majority of he's performances this season, was poor on Monday. Perhaps number of games in short space of time getting to him. Start with Hernandez and play Roofe wide in Douk's spot.

Hopefully Cooper is fit as I really wouldnt want to see Ayling having to move from RB where he has been outstanding.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gurj wrote:Think this is the game where Pablo must start. I would put him instead of Douk, who unlike the majority of he's performances this season, was poor on Monday. Perhaps number of games in short space of time getting to him. Start with Hernandez and play Roofe wide in Douk's spot.

Hopefully Cooper is fit as I really wouldnt want to see Ayling having to move from RB where he has been outstanding.
It's a tough call for Monk, Berardi apparently has played CB too, so do you keep Ayling at RB, move Berardi in to the middle, but then I don't think Denton is up to marking Ince and would Coyle be, he as played LB before.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:It's a tough call for Monk, Berardi apparently has played CB too, so do you keep Ayling at RB, move Berardi in to the middle, but then I don't think Denton is up to marking Ince and would Coyle be, he as played LB before.
Agree mate the likes of Ince & Russell would probably tear Denton inside out, unfair to put the kid under that sort of pressure as it could destroy his confidence

Coyle at RB & Ayling in the middle seem the right options even if not the ideal scenario !
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

On the basis that Coops isn't fit I'd go with

Green
Coyle
Ayling
Bartley
Berardi
O'Kane
Bridcutt
Dallas
Hernandez
Sacko
Wood

Saw Derby at the Canaries a week or so back and their main threat was Tom Ince so I'd go for Dallas on that left hand side to help out Berardi. Derby seemed a bit slow and cumbersome at the back and Hernandez would run rings round old BJ who sits in for them. If we can get at them we will make life really hard for them.

Monk does seem to have instilled a great mindset with the players and this will no doubt be a big test. My only fear is that the game is probably more pivotal for Derby than us........in GM we trust!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I hope Nugent doesn't gel with his new colleagues straight away.

This will be a hard test for us and I hope for some luck from our 12th man crowd.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Looks like the rams could be a bit woolly tomorrow night

Will Hughes could also return after serving a two-match suspension but the midfielder is struggling with a knee injury he picked up against Wigan Athletic.

Derby will give checks to Ikechi Anya and Marcus Olsson ahead of the game after the pair suffered hamstring injuries recently.

Jacob Butterfield is missing for Derby as he serves the second game of his three match suspension.

Cyrus Christie, Craig Forsyth, Max Lowe, George Thorne, James Wilson and Nick Blackman are all sidelined for the rams.