Does Garry Monk deserve ANY criticism ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Rex deWolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Does Garry Monk deserve ANY criticism ?

Post by Rex deWolf »

I get the point about playing a system that makes the best of the players that you have, but unless you have two super midfielders ( which we don't) I think there's is a case for adding numbers in midfield and playing 4-4-2.

The finiancial resources this coming season will probably go on a second striker and a replacement left back. So we might have to make do with most of the players we already have.

What do we do, just carry on with a system that hasn't worked or try something different?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Rex deWolf wrote:I get the point about playing a system that makes the best of the players that you have, but unless you have two super midfielders ( which we don't) I think there's is a case for adding numbers in midfield and playing 4-4-2.

The finiancial resources this coming season will probably go on a second striker and a replacement left back. So we might have to make do with most of the players we already have.

What do we do, just carry on with a system that hasn't worked or try something different?

Not so sure about where or resources will be used, I can see us using them to tie down the likes of Bartley and Pontus with more money for Wood with other positions being covered with loans again. Don't see how we can go into next season with fundamentally the same MF and expect a tilt at top 2, playoffs would be about best we could hope for again. We had the top scorer in the league and a defence that performed heroically for much of the season - we need to improve that MF with some real quality.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Rex deWolf wrote:I get the point about playing a system that makes the best of the players that you have, but unless you have two super midfielders ( which we don't) I think there's is a case for adding numbers in midfield and playing 4-4-2.

Too easy to say the 'system' didn't work when if you take away the first few games and last few games we were averaging automatic promotion points. That shows that for the majority of the time the system worked albeit in a fair few games we didn't play well but still got results. The key is to work out how to tweak things to make it work better rather than simply discard the system. 3 things that I would consider before changing the system,

1) Will the players be able to handle the pressure better next season if we are in the same situation. A lot of our players hadn't been in this situation before and we looked like a rabbit trapped in the headlights. There was also the silly talk about Jansson going to pick up a silly booking v Wolves to get his ban out of the way before the play-offs so perhaps the players switched off thinking we'd made it into the play-offs (like many fans did).

2) Did pre-season affect us negatively? We took a few games to get into our stride (who knows what a few extra points picked up in the first few games would have done for us?) and also looked a tired team towards the end of the season. With hopefully Monk still in charge he can hopefully plan the pre-season better.

3) Can we get more output from the wingers and no.10? Whereas going into last season the big concern was could we stop conceding soft goals the big weakness this season has been the lack of goals from anyone other than Wood. The 2 centrebacks got a few which is useful, the full backs don't look like scoring and neither do any of our defensive midfielders. As such we need more goals from the attacking sections of our midfield if we are to be able to play the 'system' to its full potential. Roofe should certainly be capable of more goals and perhaps Doukara too if he continues playing wide.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Yes, he can and should.

That is not to say he has not done a very good job, I just hope in hindsight he can see where he should have done better.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.