Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Ten Games In.....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Ten Games In.....

Post by 1964white »

Ten games in how have we done

Surely we are all happy with 20 points from our first 10 games which is automatic promotion form?

Do you expect the next ten games to be as profitable ?

Have we been sussed out by the likes of Millwall/Cardiff & are other clubs likely to follow similar tactics/ploys when playing Leeds ?

Christmas is always a good point to measure where a club is at as they prepare for the final four months of the season. Where do you expect Leeds to be in the championship come the New Year?
hector

Re: Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Ten Games In.....

Post by hector »

Before the start of the season I would have taken 20 points from 10 games......

Yes, we are starting to gel as a team, and slowly the players are starting to be able to read what their team mates are up to...

Millscum were lucky in the fact that they played their normal bullying game, and caught our lot on a bad day. Cardiff tried it also, but were just a bit better at finding goal,however by the second half, they were not getting things all their own way, and the more teams that try those tactics the more our guys will learn.

I expect us to be top 3 over Xmas and the new year.

There you are Leon..... not a ditto in sight...... (from me that is)...
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

We are going brilliantly. We have not been found out. Our tactics are excellent. We are going up.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ditto!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

hector wrote:Before the start of the season I would have taken 20 points from 10 games......

Yes, we are starting to gel as a team, and slowly the players are starting to be able to read what their team mates are up to...

Millscum were lucky in the fact that they played their normal bullying game, and caught our lot on a bad day. Cardiff tried it also, but were just a bit better at finding goal,however by the second half, they were not getting things all their own way, and the more teams that try those tactics the more our guys will learn.

Ditto MOT We Are Going Up!
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
gessa

Post by gessa »

We've started much better than I anticipated so very happy with 20 points.
New manager new players usually need time to settle in but the one's played have one brilliantly.
Not sure what the next 10 games will bring but I'm expecting us to be in the top 6 all season now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:Before the start of the season I would have taken 20 points from 10 games......

:roflmao:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Ditto!!
We always insisted that this would be our year even under Garry Monk

Mind you the way Boro' are going I'm unsure whether our expectations under GM would be correct Nick
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:We've started much better than I anticipated so very happy with 20 points.
New manager new players usually need time to settle in but the one's played have one brilliantly.
Not sure what the next 10 games will bring but I'm expecting us to be in the top 6 all season now
Has to be the minimum requirement mate
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I hate to tempt fate, but surely we can't c**k this start up. Can we ?. Best start to a season since 1973 for me.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:We always insisted that this would be our year even under Garry Monk

Mind you the way Boro' are going I'm unsure whether our expectations under GM would be correct Nick
We did, mate, and we may still be right! Though I agree that Monk may not have been all we thought he was, as has been borne out by Boro's distinctly average start. But the championship is a marathon, not a sprint, so lets see where we (and they) are 6 months time!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:I hate to tempt fate, but surely we can't c**k this start up. Can we ?. Best start to a season since 1973 for me.
We are Leeds Gandi although I intend to remain positive :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:We did, mate, and we may still be right! Though I agree that Monk may not have been all we thought he was, as has been borne out by Boro's distinctly average start. But the championship is a marathon, not a sprint, so lets see where we (and they) are 6 months time!
I still we'll both be up there Nick, how successful either side are come the day of reckoning only time will tell
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

For me I still think there are warning signs, more than I like right now. I won't go into them again right now though. Broken record and all that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ten games in how have we done

Delighted with 20 points. A couple of great early performances left us perhaps feeling too excited, leading us to ignore the shortcomings of the drab match v Preston and conceding twice v Bolton. The awful performance v Millwall gave us a reality check and we aren't going to walk the division. Cardiff match for me reminded me of last season under Monk where the first goal was all important and if we'd scored I fancy we'd have won. My main concern at this point is that the only times we have gone behind in games we have comfortably lost and never really looked like even getting a point - we need to show a bit more mental toughness and ability to create chances when teams don't have to attack us and leave gaps.

Do you expect the next ten games to be as profitable ?

This is the championship and it is impossible to predict results. When we played Sunderland, for example, they were doing well but since we beat them they have gone into freefall. We have also beaten Birmingham and Ipswich despite both their managers claiming they played really well. The key for me is to try to maintain a 1.5 points per match minimum in any set of 10 matches - if we do that we should be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Hopefully we will also get stronger as the season progresses as the players knit together better, get to grips with the tactics more and get used to how to deal with the more physical side of games.

Have we been sussed out by the likes of Millwall/Cardiff & are other clubs likely to follow similar tactics/ploys when playing Leeds ?

Millwall played really well against us and caught us cold. Cardiff was a bit different as we looked more disjointed rather than being bullied. I think we missed O'Kane in front of the defence and defensively for some reason we looked very shaky and missed tackles in the build up to the first goal, failed to close down for the second and were ball watching for the third. Possibly too easy to just say we got bullied by Cardiff. Teams will be adapting their tactics when they play us but it is important that we impose our style and keep our composure on the ball. If we keep possession and pass it around well it will negate 'bullyboy' tactics.

Christmas is always a good point to measure where a club is at as they prepare for the final four months of the season. Where do you expect Leeds to be in the championship come the New Year?

I would hope we are still in the top 6.
Donny_White
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: lufc_bishop

Post by Donny_White »

Think we will be around 3rd or 4th come new year, we are capable of beating anyone. I dont think we will drop off massively. Every game is massive this season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Donny_White wrote:Think we will be around 3rd or 4th come new year, we are capable of beating anyone. I dont think we will drop off massively. Every game is massive this season
That is the championship for you Donny especially this season, every team seems capable of beating each other as some of the major contenders for the top-six have found to their cost.

Christiansen & his squad are very much on a learning curve so we have done well to win six of our ten games plus knock premiership club Burnley out of the League Cup
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Only another 20 points and I think we will be safe from relegation :roflmao: :mrgreen: :roflmao: :mrgreen:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Parallels with Huddersfield last season?
Top, then a few defeats but they came strong in the New Year and made the top 6.
I think it's the same most seasons with 1 or 2 teams.

I think we'll at least have a crack at the top 6 and, if our players meld more into TC's system, maybe even the top 2 - especially if we get over our defensive collywobbles by a combination of -

1 - less injuries
2 - more cohesion between players who haven't yet had the chance to meld at all
3 - acquisition of a possible back-up ch in January - despite all our jeers at season start, Villa are beginning to string things together now. I wouldn't mind a short term older but still good experienced ch who's looking for a last pay day.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

faaip wrote:For me I still think there are warning signs, more than I like right now. I won't go into them again right now though. Broken record and all that

Are we all still confident?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"