Leeds United VS 'Boro/Match day thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds United VS 'Boro/Match day thread

Post by leedsmad »

Boro played us on the counter as they parked the Bus at the back , they had 5 at the back . They made it very difficult to break them .

Hernandez was a massive loss and the difference was evident , it's cramped up the ladder a bit now where i was banking for the 3 points yesterday.....now a tough road trip to the Den where hopefully we do the business on the back of this International break .

P.S can't stand Ayala head he was pissing me off yesterday during the game
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

It was disappointing to have neither goals nor much genuinely exciting goalmouth action. Considering the Middlesbrough approach we did well to produce some extended patches of our football, only lacking a bit of class around the box.

Both defences were organised & resilient, BPF a commanding performance & deserved a clean sheet.
Young Phillips prowls around the park like a big cat - looks in impressive form.

Leeds subs came later than usual - coach seemed to want to get as much out of the players on the park (no game for a fortnight), concerned maybe about upsetting the balance of the team in such a finely balanced match. Apparently was also concerned about the nature of the game & the potential difficulties for players being introduced into it.
Did Middlesbrough make any subs?

A valuable hard fought point a bit like the Swansea result.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Charity Shield 69 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 am Both defences were organised & resilient, BPF a commanding performance & deserved a clean sheet
Peacock-Farrell is improving with every game under his belt
Charity Shield 69 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 am Young Phillips prowls around the park like a big cat - looks in impressive form
Great to read CS, Phillips has now been compared to Pirlo & a big cat :)
Charity Shield 69 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 am Leeds subs came later than usual - coach seemed to want to get as much out of the players on the park (no game for a fortnight), concerned maybe about upsetting the balance of the team in such a finely balanced match. Apparently was also concerned about the nature of the game & the potential difficulties for players being introduced into it
I think that was the case, neither manager wanted to lose that game
Charity Shield 69 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 am Did Middlesbrough make any subs?
No
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

If I ever saw as assured young man it has to be BPF , he carries himself well and looks like he can keep his head . Confident and very astute and that's something for goalkeeper. Good luck to the young man I 'say.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Comparing Phillips to Pirlo SMH...and I was getting grief for comparing Roofe to a good League one striker
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

paddy parrott wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am If I ever saw as assured young man it has to be BPF , he carries himself well and looks like he can keep his head . Confident and very astute and that's something for goalkeeper. Good luck to the young man I 'say.
Saw something in him game one right after I slagged off his inclusion by Heck. Not often I get it so wrong. It's why I was unhappy we got Blackman in because it would have stunted his growth while we advanced a Chelsea player...now lets hope he continues his development and emulates another NI great
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:03 am Comparing Phillips to Pirlo SMH...and I was getting grief for comparing Roofe to a good League one striker
I called Roofe wrong last season, massively improved as a lone striker under Bielsa, sensational this season :clape:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Will be interesting to see if Roofe can keep up the form over the full season because we have seen him do well over a few matches before. Definitely looks a lot better this season playing in the central role and his goal against Swansea showed great predatory skills.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:00 pm Will be interesting to see if Roofe can keep up the form over the full season because we have seen him do well over a few matches before. Definitely looks a lot better this season playing in the central role and his goal against Swansea showed great predatory skills.
Love Roofe's header at Derby :shirtw:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

First opportunity to comment on the game. Boro came for a point, parked the bus (10 men behind the ball) and, without Pablo, we couldn't find the keys to move it. As Leon and others have said, Pullisball is destroying football. He may well take them up, but imagine having to watch that sh*te every week??? We battled well against a huge, very physical side and for all Pullis' talk of them being the better side, they didn't create a single chance from open play. That said, we created very few ourselves, which was disappointing. But a point against a side that cost a lot more than ours, and which will no doubt be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, is a good point. And a lesson too for MB on what to expect from the anti-football sides. BPF very assured and Berardi dealt with the giants around him brilliantly. Thought Harrison had a good game, but lacks a little bravery on the ball, was needlessly hurried on occasion. Hopefully something that will change with experience.

All in all, we're unbeaten and top of the league after 6 difficult games to open the season. I bet we'd all have taken that early August!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Every team will park the bus at ER, but none of them will be as strong defensively as Boro. Remember they haven't conceded since the first game and even West Brom with their expensive strikers couldn't score against them.

For all the hype about Bielsa's style so far, remember he was getting criticised in the media for not "knowing the league" and he wouldn't be able to cope with physical teams when he was appointed. However we have shown we can stand up to them, even if we have much smaller players. Swansea and Boro are better than your run of the mill physical teams too.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SG90 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:00 pm Every team will park the bus at ER, but none of them will be as strong defensively as Boro. Remember they haven't conceded since the first game and even West Brom with their expensive strikers couldn't score against them.

For all the hype about Bielsa's style so far, remember he was getting criticised in the media for not "knowing the league" and he wouldn't be able to cope with physical teams when he was appointed. However we have shown we can stand up to them, even if we have much smaller players. Swansea and Boro are better than your run of the mill physical teams too.
:tup:
Defensively there won't be many as strong as Boro.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:03 am Comparing Phillips to Pirlo SMH...and I was getting grief for comparing Roofe to a good League one striker
Our fans will always overhype academy products. I thought he was poor on Friday, constantly giving the ball away and backing off when Boro midfield had the ball. I think he's been made to look better thanks to Klich so far. He's good for 20-25 games, but not the player he's made out to be.

No I'm not a Phillips hater before I get called one. Just don't agree with the way we overhype youth before they've done anything. Cook, Byram and Taylor were all meant to be superstars.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:05 pm Our fans will always overhype academy products. I thought he was poor on Friday, constantly giving the ball away and backing off when Boro midfield had the ball. I think he's been made to look better thanks to Klich so far. He's good for 20-25 games, but not the player he's made out to be.

No I'm not a Phillips hater before I get called one. Just don't agree with the way we overhype youth before they've done anything. Cook, Byram and Taylor were all meant to be superstars.
Thank you, thought I was imagining things for a minute...
gessa

Post by gessa »

I didn't score him, as I thought he gave far too many needless free kicks away, some were when there was no danger, which then put us under pressure from high ball free kicks.

I do rate him though.
LUFCT0mmy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LUFCT0mmy »

Ok not Pirlo then lol jeez. Let's say, a young Stephen Ireland?
M.O.T
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:06 pm I didn't score him, as I thought he gave far too many needless free kicks away, some were when there was no danger, which then put us under pressure from high ball free kicks.

I do rate him though.
I agree both Cooper & Phillips were guilty of that mate. I was stood there with my head in my hands when Boro' seem to have many opportunities to lump the ball on to their giants from set-pieces, my thoughts at the time was one of their headers would fly into our net.

I really can't understand why players give away needless free-kicks in dangerous areas, just shield them out is all that is required
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFCT0mmy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:21 pm Ok not Pirlo then lol jeez. Let's say, a young Stephen Ireland?
I prefer the Pirlo comparison

Kalvin Phillips for England :eng:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:05 pm Our fans will always overhype academy products. I thought he was poor on Friday, constantly giving the ball away and backing off when Boro midfield had the ball. I think he's been made to look better thanks to Klich so far. He's good for 20-25 games, but not the player he's made out to be.

I respect your opinion SG as I do Faaip's & Cjay's but I totally disagree! You are one of a select few who thought KP was poor, you've forgotten the five sublime long passes he sprayed around the park. Our players will give the ball away more often in the system Bielsa has implemented as we are now playing a passing game which is a huge improvement on last season, they are not Barca/Real class yet :P

Phillips, Berardi & Roofe are our most improved players this season, all three have been impressive in their new roles, their improvement under Bielsa's guidance has played a huge part in why we are top of the league right now, what a difference as opposed to looking like League One players last season.

Cook is still a fine prospect.
Taylor was a fantastic LB for us, took us fifteen months to find a decent replacement after trying to fill the gap with some right stragglers.
Byram was a one season wonder.
LUFCT0mmy
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LUFCT0mmy »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm I prefer the Pirlo comparison

Kalvin Phillips for England :eng:

With you on that mate! 100% :P
M.O.T