Leeds Utd v Stoke City (Carabao Cup) Match Thread - 17 minutes highlights

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: Leeds Utd v Stoke City (Carabao Cup) Match Thread - Costa, Nketiah and Bogusz start!

Post by rab_rant »

Cjay wrote:Our back 3 is a cm and 2 full backs, MB has many great qualities but his blindness to needing actual defenders at times is weird.
I know they were short but I can't agree that they were only a centimeter.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Last edited by rab_rant on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Stoke City (Carabao Cup) Match Thread - Costa, Nketiah and Bogusz start!

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 pm West Stand sang it too 8-) Yes I was there with Thomas, sat with Gessa and Connor (Carabao Cup ticket winners :) ) Come on fess up who won but didn't attend..... 2 seats next to Thomas and 2 seats next to Connor empty :duno:

Loved it. Great atmosphere, good seats, good company :P

I thought Shackleton was brilliant, really surprised he was subbed at half time. I wasn't a fan of Harrison last season but he has come on in strides since then, such a shame it was his pen that didn't go in. Not impressed with Douglas tonight, so slow and lazy, play really slowed down when the ball went to him. Stoke such a dirty side, falling down at will, feigning injuries etc. :bear:
Lovely to see you all in the Peacock prior to the game even though it was brief. Little 'ol man had to do a runner to the other side of the ground as I know what the queues are like & difficulty entering the kop for cup games.
The game itself in the first-half was like lads against dads, all changed after the break when Harrison, White & Forshaw came on, we battered them, even the ref was obviously giving them decisions with Stoke wasting time falling down like big girl blouses for the final 45 minutes. Horrible team, reminded me of Birmingham last season who deployed similar tactics!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 pm West Stand sang it too 8-) Yes I was there with Thomas, sat with Gessa and Connor (Carabao Cup ticket winners :) ) Come on fess up who won but didn't attend..... 2 seats next to Thomas and 2 seats next to Connor empty :duno:
Why do folk enter competitions for tickets if they have no intention of using them? very selfish as they are depriving other fans of seeing Leeds via the comps.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 pm Just back home, yes thank you for your lovely company, sorry about his language :)
I had to behave as 9yo Cody stood next to me (grandson of one of my friends I travel with to games), just like Connor he never shut up :shhh: inquisitive & asking questions all the time during the game, lovely little lad :)

I noticed Connor's confidence dropped a level when in the company of Ang & Thomas, our young lady must of put the fear of god into him :lol:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Lovely to see you all in the Peacock prior to the game even though it was brief. Little 'ol man had to do a runner to the other side of the ground as I know what the queues are like & difficulty entering the kop for cup games.
The game itself in the first-half was like lads against dads, all changed after the break when Harrison, White & Forshaw came on, we battered them, even the ref was obviously giving them decisions with Stoke wasting time falling down like big girl blouses for the final 45 minutes. Horrible team, reminded me of Birmingham last season who deployed similar tactics!
Unfortunately those are the tactics Leeds have to get used to as thats the only way that many teams will try to negate Leeds . Its not good but its modern football *hite.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 am I had to behave as 9yo Cody stood next to me (grandson of one of my friends I travel with to games), just like Connor he never shut up :shhh: inquisitive & asking questions all the time during the game, lovely little lad :)

I noticed Connor's confidence dropped a level when in the company of Ang & Thomas, our young lady must of put the fear of god into him :lol:
It was short lived little old man :lol: Thomas, by his own admission, is going through a "socially awkward" phase :zip: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I'll admit I'm a bit annoyed we went out. We won't see changes to the line up, save for injuries/suspensions, so the bench players won't get much opportunity now. Also I'd like a decent cup run at some point, we'll probably go out in the FA Cup 3rd round again.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I think Phillips got the nod over a recognised CB like Strujik because he can step out and play midfield as well.

Glad we brought it back and although it's a shame to go out, there a lot to be taken from the comeback. I hear Stoke fans were singing "Leeds are falling apart", well falling apart from 0-2 to 2-2 is good going in my books!

It's a shame that Clarke struggled again - you have to wonder what the issue has been since his illness...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The only concern I have over last night's is that it completely replicates last year's start with the 13 points from 5 matches and going out of the cup, unexpectedly, at this stage. We then went on a bit of a bad run, points wise, with 1 win and 3 draws from the next 5 matches. Like people mention winning breeds confidence and you get used to winning and whilst we all said it wouldn't affect confidence last season, and maybe it didn't, it perhaps gave opposition managers a chance to see weaknesses. Important for this squad to show mental toughness now and bounce back and hopefully the manner of the second half performance will help with that.

I have no concerns over the now supposed weakness of our squad players. If we get 7 or 8 more first team injuries all at once then maybe but it is far more likely that it would be one or two of those players coming in for a match than 7 or 8 and as such the balance and shape of the team won't be affected as much. I felt our midfield was very light last night and Bielsa remedied that at half time and the difference was immediately noticeable. As it is however it is far more likely that we'd simply replace like for like if we got injuries/suspensions.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Genghers wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 am I think Phillips got the nod over a recognised CB like Strujik because he can step out and play midfield as well.

Glad we brought it back and although it's a shame to go out, there a lot to be taken from the comeback. I hear Stoke fans were singing "Leeds are falling apart", well falling apart from 0-2 to 2-2 is good going in my books!

It's a shame that Clarke struggled again - you have to wonder what the issue has been since his illness...
If only we were bottom of the league with only 1 point and our manager was publicly slagging off the players, eh. Glad to be falling apart!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:39 am It was short lived little old man :lol: Thomas, by his own admission, is going through a "socially awkward" phase :zip: :bear:
As teenagers do young lady, Thomas will be alright :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 am If only we were bottom of the league with only 1 point and our manager was publicly slagging off the players, eh. Glad to be falling apart!
Stoke players were arguing with each other at 0-0

You could visibly see there is no unity in that squad, thought they were poor !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here we go folks

17 minutes highlights

gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:47 am Horrible team, reminded me of Birmingham last season who deployed similar tactics!
Exactly what I said to BB
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Stoke City (Carabao Cup) Match Thread - 17 minutes highlights

Post by Cjay »

Thanks for the highlights.

Read a stat that Sam Vokes alone won 15 headers last night.

If (i know its an if) but if something happens to Cooper and White how concerned should we be with Davis, Berardi and Phillips seemingly as MBs first choice back ups at cb?

The lack of height worries me and i dont think those 3 are physically able to cope with a striker like Vokes or Matt Smith or Mitrovic etc.

Their are a lot of very powerful number 9s in this league (we are facing one on Saturday a big 6ft3 cf).

Know MB likes to play fbs and dms at cb but it concerns me and Beckford said similar yesterday regarding the lack of physical presence.

Was Vokes causing as many issues as the stats suggest 1st half?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm Thanks for the highlights.

If (i know its an if) but if something happens to Cooper and White how concerned should we be with Davis, Berardi and Phillips seemingly as MBs first choice back ups at cb?

The lack of height worries me and i dont think those 3 are physically able to cope with a striker like Vokes or Matt Smith or Mitrovic etc.

Their are a lot of very powerful number 9s in this league (we are facing one on Saturday a big 6ft3 cf).

Know MB likes to play fbs and dms at cb but it concerns me and Beckford said similar yesterday regarding the lack of physical presence.

I doubt very much we are set up to cope with those type of players. I think we are in to the they score two we score three mentality which imo will cost us too many points.

From what I heard Vokes was the main concern in the first half which one reason we brought on White at HT.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm Thanks for the highlights.

Berardi couldn't get anywhere near Vokes in the air but comfortably kept him in control on the ground,as Ian said, White kept him quiet in the second half.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:56 pm Berardi couldn't get anywhere near Vokes in the air but comfortably kept him in control on the ground,as Ian said, White kept him quiet in the second half.
That's because White is a quality footballer & a proper CB

God knows how we'll fare if we lose Cooper & White
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm Read a stat that Sam Vokes alone won 15 headers last night.

The main issue last night was us allowing them into areas to play the ball into Vokes in the first half. In Clarke and Costa we have two wingers who are not going to be helping out defensively. Don't forget the diagram someone posted up recently that showed how hardly any successful passes (or crosses) have been played into our box. Takes a very good (or lucky) header to score from outside the box. The key for us is stopping the delivery.
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm The main issue last night was us allowing them into areas to play the ball into Vokes in the first half. In Clarke and Costa we have two wingers who are not going to be helping out defensively. Don't forget the diagram someone posted up recently that showed how hardly any successful passes (or crosses) have been played into our box. Takes a very good (or lucky) header to score from outside the box. The key for us is stopping the delivery.

Actually, Costa did a lot of work getting back and helping, especially first half really didn't need to second as they had little threat.