The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th February) Safe standing could be introduced in top two tiers by next year

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th February) Safe standing could be introduced in top two tiers by next year

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 14th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road....

Couzens urges Bielsa to partner Bamford and Augustin up front

Andy Couzens has urged Marcelo Bielsa to partner Augustin and Bamford up-front together for their crunch game against the Robins. The former Leeds midfielder, part of the 1993 youth team that beat Manchester United was quoted as saying...

I’d like to see both of them play. Bamford’s best season in his career was at Middlesbrough when he sort of played as a No.10, playing just off the front and creating a few more bits. He actually scores goals from there as well.

I don’t think it will happen, Augustin will be on the bench and Bamford will start. I can’t see him changing it too much more. Would you like to see both strikers play together?

According to Elland Road sources, Augustin is in excellent physical condition after doing extensive training with Leeds’ conditioning staff away from the main squad since he joined last month. Do you think Bamford gets isolated up front by himself having to resort to snap shots as he is so heavily marked?

Would a change of formation do the team good? Is it unfair for Bielsa to expect Bamford to undertake an all round role when Leeds are not attacking? Is this having a negative impact on the former Boro mans game? Should Bamford be used as a number 10? Have we missed not having a No 10 since Saiz left?

Kelvin Phillips - We let our performance shut them up

Freshly back from suspension, Kelvin Phillips was interviewed following the 1-1 draw at Griffin Park. The 24yo couldn't help but to bite back following comments from Bees Manager Thomas Frank that Leeds feared Brentford!

We had a lot of comments from the Brentford fans and the Brentford manager, saying that we were fearing them, but we never fear a team going into a game, and I think it showed today. We are a very good footballing side, and with the way they play, I think we put a lot of pressure on them. We let them talk before the game, and let our performance shut them up.

Do you agree with these comments? Is he saying that he was more than satisfied with a draw at Griffin Park or is he saying that the performance was more important than the result?

Bielsa's Pre March Press Conference

Bielsa reveals that both Casilla and Bamford will start the game against Bristol City on Saturday, much to the dismay of the Leeds fans. Ben White spotted on Sky camera's trying to 'borrow' Brentfords keeper David Raya's gloves during a Leeds corner. Imagine up uproar had Leeds scored from it! Also, Bielsa reveals why Poveda hasn't been in the squad recently

Safe standing could be introduced in top two tiers by next year

Safe standing could be introduced in the top two tiers of English football by next year after research found it had a 'positive impact on spectator safety'. The Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) have compiled an interim report which finds the installation of barriers in seated areas at football grounds - such as the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and Wolves' Molineux - has 'mitigated the risk of crowd collapse'. Peter Daykin, the head of the Football Supporters' Association Stand Up For Choice campaign, said...

We're getting ever closer to seeing licensed standing areas return to clubs across the Premier League and Championship. It's entirely appropriate that the minister and SGSA take all the time they need to deliver the choice to stand safely and in a way that solves the issues caused by the all-seater legislation.

Standing areas give supporters choice in how they watch football, but also reduce tension between fans and stewards, and improve the atmosphere in football grounds across the country. More than ever before, politicians and the football authorities now share those beliefs.

Would you like to see a safe standing area? Would you take advantage of it? Do you feel that being surrounded by barriers is a step too far?

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th February) Safe standing could be introduced in top two tiers by next year

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The problem with all seater stadium such as Elland Road is that people still stand up, and it is inherently more dangerous to srand in a stadium designed with seating in mind. I think moving stands such as the Kop to safe standing with proper controlled capacities is important and would prove much safer than people standing in all seater stands.

New Rugby League stadia are still built with terraces, no reason this can't be done in football provided they are controlled properly.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th February) Safe standing could be introduced in top two tiers by next year

Post by Irish Ian »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 am The problem with all seater stadium such as Elland Road is that people still stand up, and it is inherently more dangerous to srand in a stadium designed with seating in mind. I think moving stands such as the Kop to safe standing with proper controlled capacities is important and would prove much safer than people standing in all seater stands.

New Rugby League stadia are still built with terraces, no reason this can't be done in football provided they are controlled properly.
Safe standing does help the atmosphere as well.

What I find interesting about Rugby League and Football grounds is that you sometimes have the same people at both ocassions behaving in completely different ways.

Conditioning.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
rrfierce
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by rrfierce »

Bamford would worth a shot as a 10. Drop Costa, Play hernandez on the right and JKA up top.

We all know thats not gonna happen though.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Safe standing is a great idea if it's kept safe and there is no overcrowding.

I used to attend sports events with a mate in seated areas. But people would stand up at times of excitement and he was always yelling for them to sit down. I warned him that if he ever went to a football match in England, he'd be asking for a smack if he kept doing that :).
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I would say 10,000 fans currently stand at ER matches, that figure doesn't include the away fans allocation who generally stand therefore 33% of our attendances are standing
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Much warmer stood in a big crowd as oppose to sitting, atmosphere better too!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The rows are really close together at Elland Road. Has anyone ever fallen forward trying to get to their seat?
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm The rows are really close together at Elland Road. Has anyone ever fallen forward trying to get to their seat?

Done my shins some serious dame over the years
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 pm The rows are really close together at Elland Road. Has anyone ever fallen forward trying to get to their seat?
Happens all the time, half our fans are p*ssed :beer:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Had an old fella fall on me from the row behind trying to get to his seat a couple of seasons ago, couldn't move my neck for about 4 days.