Pascal Struijk

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Pascal Struijk

Post by Cjay »

Poor header lead to Salah's goal (great hit).

But he had a very good game.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Thought he did well overall, as you say, that header could have gone somewhere safer
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Strujik looked like he was being converted from a CB to a DMC. I think the fear was that he'd need a little more experience to play DC.

But I think he looked great. His height is a great asset. He's good on the ball and has excellent distribution from the back.

In regards to the Gvardiol deal, it's been said that Bielsa wasn't sure if he needed another CB which surprised us all. Maybe his plan was to have Ayling back up the right side and Strujik the left side. Not sure if I want us spending 20 million on an 18 year old, given what Strujik showed today.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:53 pm Not sure if I want us spending 20 million on an 18 year old, given what Strujik showed today.
No point having our own youth unless at some point they get the chance. Hard to judge Koch and Strujik today given that they wouldn't have even trained together or been on the same side in the practise match in training.

Up to Strujik now to take the chance whenever he gets to play- I would expect him to play in the cup in midweek as I doubt they would want to risk Cooper.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:50 pm No point having our own youth unless at some point they get the chance. Hard to judge Koch and Strujik today given that they wouldn't have even trained together or been on the same side in the practise match in training.

Up to Strujik now to take the chance whenever he gets to play- I would expect him to play in the cup in midweek as I doubt they would want to risk Cooper.
Baptism of fire today for Meslier-Koch-Strujik against the best front 3 in the world. And they came out of it well
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Both looked good as individuals once Koch had settled a bit but not yet playing as a pair...Struijk prem debut today every bit as good a White's last season ..

Would have been MOTM if Klich hadn't been nigh on perfect
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Brolins_Ghost
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Brolins_Ghost »

You could almost see Pascal grow into the game as it went on, a sign of a man who is on the road to becoming a very good CB.
I'd stick with the pairing of him and Koch, they will learn and grow together.. Not many more teams in the premiership will be as good as what the faced today.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Struijk ahead of Cooper for me, he won’t face many better teams than Liverpool
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:31 pm
Poor header lead to Salah's goal (great hit).

But he had a very good game.
Tricky to judge as ideally he would be heading it much further but if it was that he was at the top of his leap when he made contact then all you can do is get something on it and try to divert it from its path. Obviously where it landed was a bad place as you want to get it out of the area and not central but if you can't physically get a good clean header then you don't really have the option of putting it where you should.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Thought he showed maturity beyond his years and had a very good game. As for the goal, I personally thought Meslier should have been coming and punching that clear.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am Thought he showed maturity beyond his years and had a very good game. As for the goal, I personally thought Meslier should have been coming and punching that clear.
Never just one persons fault, Kalvin had a cracking chance to clear before the second pen...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:53 am Never just one persons fault, Kalvin had a cracking chance to clear before the second pen...
Indeed. Feels churlish to pick holes in what was a very solid team performance, but those little moments will see us punished more so than they perhaps would have in the championship.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:53 am Never just one persons fault, Kalvin had a cracking chance to clear before the second pen...
Thought that too. Philips was struggling for air at that stage and it was a tired effort back into such a dangerous area. If Rodrigo had left Fabinho go Struijk had him covered.

I thought Struijk was excellent. With experience he will own and hold that CB position with style. Better with his head than White and a proper two footed player (Ajax trademark).
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:21 am Both looked good as individuals once Koch had settled a bit but not yet playing as a pair...Struijk prem debut today every bit as good a White's last season ..

Would have been MOTM if Klich hadn't been nigh on perfect
I'm admittedly a diehard White fan but you're absolutely right. Any mistakes Koch made could've happened to White or Coops. I still hold out hope of getting White back - alongside Koch we'd have a formidable pairing, but that said Struijk is proving just as capable of that anyway. We'll see how it goes but I'm optimistic.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Richard wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am Struijk ahead of Cooper for me, he won’t face many better teams than Liverpool
f**k no, got himself into a couple of dodgy positions, headed a clearance into a scouser and almost had the best gol of the game.

I don't get the love in.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Has to be said he was a lucky boy.

Mings and him can count themselves very fortunate.

If Struijk's tackles had been a bit further apart he would have gone imo.

Say 10 minutes later.

The boss deserves immense credit.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 pm Has to be said he was a lucky boy.

Say 10 minutes later.

Agree Cjay , I'm sure he'll learn from it, he has the right coach and players around him to help.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:30 pm Has to be said he was a lucky boy.

Say 10 minutes later.

I thought his midfield play was decent other than the two tackles. He was part of quite of a few of our moves going forward. Experience. On the Grealish tackle, he should have realized he was beat and taken the diagonal run to cut him off. And on a yellow card he should have stayed away from the second challenge - but I don't think any ref would have given a yellow for the 2nd. Especially not this one who showed immense leniency to Mings.

While I thought Strujik looked OK, Shackleton really took us up a level. Wouldnt be surprised to see Shackleton start the next game.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Struijk’s education stepped up this evening. You can’t get suckered by a known cheat such as Grealish that early in a game or you will walk.

His footballing talent is obvious. He just has to learn to adapt and play what’s around him at this level. He’ll take this in his stride and continue his upward trajectory. Still a top, top quality prospect.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Pascal had a really tough gig tonight, Grealish and Watkins bombing past him.

Hope he doesnt take his subbing to heart.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa