Old Pubs thread...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Old Pubs thread...

Post by Smudge3920 »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 am You’ll be pleased to know The Black Horse Is still pretty much as it looks in the picture.
Thats good to know mate...been back to so many pubs over the years that have been modernised and just not the same ... :tup:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

During my visit to England I very much enjoyed Whitelock's in Leeds, the Crown in Pateley Bridge, and (particularly) the Coach and Horses in Harrogate.

All traditional, with no music blaring or televisions in every corner. Had a great opportunity to meet and converse with local residents.
gessa

Post by gessa »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:23 pm During my visit to England I very much enjoyed Whitelock's in Leeds, the Crown in Pateley Bridge, and (particularly) the Coach and Horses in Harrogate.

All traditional, with no music blaring or televisions in every corner. Had a great opportunity to meet and converse with local residents.
Out of interest John, how did you get on with understanding the Yorkshire accent
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:12 pm Out of interest John, how did you get on with understanding the Yorkshire accent
About as well as they got on with mine. :)

We understood one another just fine. We all spoke slowly. :)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm About as well as they got on with mine. :)

Even after 25 years here in the Colonies I still like to throw in a "eeeh ba gum" or "Sythe whats thar doin", even a "it'le be reet" and the one that always gets the Canooks ..." narthen c**k wanna a fag"... :roflmao:
gessa

Post by gessa »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm About as well as they got on with mine. :)

On holiday once we shared a table with 2 American couples and an English couple, who were rather posh, non understood a word I was saying, apparently I speak extremely fast, which I know I do. So I had to slow it down considerably.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 am You’ll be pleased to know The Black Horse Is still pretty much as it looks in the picture.
Doesn't look too old a picture that. Especially as you can see the buildings to it's left which are recent. Used to be in the "puke" zone by the time I would get to the Black Horse during the Westgate Runs I would do as a young 'un. Always enjoyed my time at The Redoubt and Elephant and Castle, During my time at Wakey College I would also frequent The Inns of Courts too. Always some good pubs in an d around Westgate, but some of those near the Bullring and Northgate (Strafford and Jockey particularly) were a bit rough. Jockey is now a restaurant i I remember right.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Duchess of York - saw so many bands there over the years, live music 365 days a year. Nirvana and Radiohead played there I believe, although saw neither.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:45 pm On holiday once we shared a table with 2 American couples and an English couple, who were rather posh, non understood a word I was saying, apparently I speak extremely fast, which I know I do. So I had to slow it down considerably.
You've told your lad to slow down in my company :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm You've told your lad to slow down in my company :)
I have trouble at times, so I know you must :-D