Stadium expansion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Stadium expansion

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:23 pm There were more cars, fans etc in the 70's when standing was allowed and we had the high flying Revie team. Sometimes it would take well over an hour to inch our way out of the car park (if you were lucky). Many a time we would just put the radio on and listen to the footy results/reports and just wait our turn. A little patience was all that was required :)
You had a car in the 70s? How posh was that.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Quite right, extra bums on seats is extra revenue which can feed back into the team. But I also do see the "let's ensure PL survival" angle too.

Some back of the fagpacket maths here. But in season 2019/2020, the average ticket at a premier league game (across all teams and ticket types), was £32. Two seasons later, for arguments sake, let's make it £35. A bump to 60k capacity would be an additional 20k seats, adding £700k to a matchday ticket revenue. 19 games a season is an extra £13,300,000 on top of the existing revenue from the other 40k seats.

Of course there's additional overheads with a boost in capacity, like maintenance costs, stewards and policing, etc but that's probably offset somewhat by the income from concessions and merch on matchday. Add to that extra gates from cup runs and so on and it makes a big difference.

I'm probably way off the mark with the numbers above as I heard last year we missed out on something like £45 million in gate receipts for the near 40k capacity we have. But you can see the point.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

The biggest ever crowd at ER was 57,892 against Sunderland 15/3/67 for an FA Cup 5th round replay but, since then, the crowd has quite rarely exceeded 40,000. Stadium changes allowed an increase over the old capacity despite having to put in seats but I honestly don't know whether further expansion is going to be worth the cost even if we do stay in the EPL. :dun:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

btw I got my info from the following source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ball_clubs

- some cases are amazing, including ours I think.