Thursday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate - League Cup Draw/Brown

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Thursday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate - League Cup Draw/Brown

Post by 1964white »

Good morning folks

The 4th round of League Cup was drawn last night & matched us against Norwich at ER

1a) Are you happy we got a home draw v Norwich which won't be easy

1b) Would you have preferred to play one of the other lower rated championship clubs Reading, Preston or Bristol City

1c) or did you want a glamour draw v the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool or Spurs

We have signed a solid centre-back partnership in Jansson & Bartley

How would you feel if you were a Blackburn fan ? Owned by the Venky's, Joint bottom of the championship, dumped out of the League Cup & then they sign Wes Brown

2) Would the signing of Wes Brown be the last straw for you ?

Looking at last night's intriguing draw :

West Ham v Chelsea
Man Utd v Man City
Arsenal v Reading
Liverpool v Spurs
Bristol City v Hull City
Leeds v Norwich
Newcastle v Preston
Southampton v Sunderland

3) Who do you fancy to win the League Cup ?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Thursday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate - League Cup Draw/Brown

Post by lufc1304 »

1. The reality is, we're not going to win the League Cup (or it is, at least, highly unlikely), so I'd have preferred a big Prem club at home to generate some decent revenue. We'll get a better crowd for Norwich than Blackburn, I suspect, but nothing to get overly excited about. And they're better than us, so it'll be tough to make round 5

2. I always thought Wes Brown was an imposter!!! Never looked like a decent CH, even when playing for scum. That said, signing him is the least of Blackburn fans' worries.

3. Haven't a clue, but I'll suggest Liverpool will give it a decent run, Klopp may see it as an ideal opportunity to get that first piece of silverware.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1. Norwich at home, gives us a chance to progress to the QF. Would have preferred a big club at home, as that might have been televised.

2. Another of Manure's famous academy, who turned out to be not very good. Still managed to play for England, though. Go figure. At least he has a Guinness Book of Records entry as the only scorer of an own goal to have it disallowed for offside. :rant:

3. With all the other top teams playing each other, I'll go for Arsenal.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The 4th round of League Cup was drawn last night & matched us against Norwich at ER

1a) Are you happy we got a home draw v Norwich which won't be easy - Yes always better to be at home despite our poor home record in recent years. Norwich will be a tough but a game we can win so happy with that and worst case scenario even if we lose it won't be embarrassing like losing to a team a couple of divisions lower (unless we get absolutely thrashed).

1b) Would you have preferred to play one of the other lower rated championship clubs Reading, Preston or Bristol City - Not really as I think Monk's team selection will probably reflect a tougher opposition so drawing a 'lesser' team would probably have seen us put out a weaker side so basically negates any advantage of playing a lower side. The championship shows every weak that any team can beat any other anyway too.

1c) or did you want a glamour draw v the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool or Spurs - Always good to get a glamour tie especially for the revenue but with drawing Norwich it realistically gives us more of a chance of progressing and meeting a glamour team next round.

How would you feel if you were a Blackburn fan ? Owned by the Venky's, Joint bottom of the championship, dumped out of the League Cup & then they sign Wes Brown
- The Blackburn situation, and various others including ourselves under GFH, shows that not all wealthy owners are a good thing. The Venkys have made some awful decisions and taken a comfortable mid table premiership club to a team battling against relegation to League 1.

2) Would the signing of Wes Brown be the last straw for you ? Wes Brown is probably decent enough to play championship football and is likely better than what they already had. If Leeds got an injury to Bartley or Jannsen then Brown would probably be on a par or better than Cooper. Wes Brown was worth his weight in gold at Man U as he was a local lad so happy to be a squad player for years, never good enough to be first choice but better than having a top class defender on the bench every week and unsettling the dressing room. Ferguson was a master of having local lads as back up that were probably Man U fans and for the majority of their careers happier to be a squad player than a regular elsewhere - the likes of Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Danny Wellbeck etc etc

West Ham v Chelsea
Man Utd v Man City
Arsenal v Reading
Liverpool v Spurs
Bristol City v Hull City
Leeds v Norwich
Newcastle v Preston
Southampton v Sunderland

- Before the draw I would have fancied MU to win it as Mourinho would clearly love to get some silverware as quickly as possible and they have fielded strong line-ups against weak opposition so JM is clearly taking it seriously. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat City as City have much bigger priorities than this cup. With Liverpool not having Champions League football I would expect them to take this very seriously, especially given the fact they took it seriously last season and like with JM at MU it represents a great chance for Klopp to get his first piece of silverware for Liverpool. Both Liverpool and MU have tough draws but if either of them gets through I would fancy them to go and win it.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

Good morning folks

It isn't the glamour fixture, but it definitely an achievable win to progress to the next round. Would prefer to win, than have a perm club come to town and win easily.

1b) Would you have preferred to play one of the other lower rated championship clubs Reading, Preston or Bristol City

No. Hopefully the team will realise the challenge and play to their potential and not take it easy.

1c) or did you want a glamour draw v the likes of Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool or Spurs

Don't care for it. Would prefer the W.

Who knows, could be a wonder signing.

West Ham v Chelsea
Man Utd v Man City
Arsenal v Reading
Liverpool v Spurs
Bristol City v Hull City
Leeds v Norwich
Newcastle v Preston
Southampton v Sunderland

Man City.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Good morning folks

West Ham v Chelsea
Man Utd v Man City
Arsenal v Reading
Liverpool v Spurs
Bristol City v Hull City
Leeds v Norwich
Newcastle v Preston
Southampton v Sunderland

1a)It could have been a lot worse, have to be fairly happy with a home game against a Championship team, we'll wait for Bristol City in the last 8.

1b)Would have preferred Preston.

1c)The glamour tie can wait until the semi's, about time we had a good cup run.

2) Could never see what Ferguson did in Brown, saw him for their reserves against Brum in his first full season, Andy Johnson ran him ragged, some very average players make the grade at top clubs somehow, he was one of them. Not sure how he'll do at Blackburn but I prefer our 2 to him.

I can't dec ide between Liverpool and Chelsea, Like Nick said Klopp would see it as his best chance of some early silverware but the side Chelsea put out the other night shows they mean business. Hopefully the winners of the top 4 ties draw each other in the next round, gives the so called lesser teams a chance to progress.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Are you happy we got a home draw v Norwich which won't be easy

Happy with the draw, could have been much tougher. I'm hoping Monk plays his best eleven as we are likely to pull a big draw in the quarter-finals

Would the signing of Wes Brown be the last straw for you ?

Certainly would be the last straw for me as i've always thought he is a very average centre-back, he is now 35yo & his form is likely to deteriorate as the years go by. Monk has signed two better cb's who are only in their mid-twenties with so much more potential to improve

Who do you fancy to win the League Cup ?

Arsenal v Liverpool final with hopefully the Gooners lifting the trophy
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

1) Norwich at home is certainly winnable. Doesn't matter who we draw, as long as we progress, then the glamour draws will present themselves.

2) Never rated him at scum, so he is perfect for the floundering side. Bates would've signed him for sure. Credit has to be given for our signings this year so far. Not sure who was responsible (Monk, Pep, or Cellino), but we have some real footballers in the side for once.

3) Citeh/Leeds in the Cup Final.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:1) Norwich at home is certainly winnable. Doesn't matter who we draw, as long as we progress, then the glamour draws will present themselves.

2) Never rated him at scum, so he is perfect for the floundering side. Bates would've signed him for sure. Credit has to be given for our signings this year so far. Not sure who was responsible (Monk, Pep, or Cellino), but we have some real footballers in the side for once.

3) Citeh/Leeds in the Cup Final.
Now that would be a surprise & a real treat for our fans if we managed to get to Wembley

What score do reckon it would be Dan ?
Whitecapswhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Whitecapswhite »

I'm okay with this draw too, should be a decent battle.....roll the dice, but I'm confident.

Never rated Brown, our signings are head and shoulders above Brown

The Indian chicken farmers are just that, just another greedy sleazebag sucking the life out of a old famous football club they now nothing about.......the state of the game :( sad.

LEEDS v Arsenal final........Cooper to score the only goal and the start of a incredible journey.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

From a Blackburn forum :lol:
Screenshot 2016-09-23 at 11.20.25.png
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

1964white wrote:Now that would be a surprise & a real treat for our fans if we managed to get to Wembley

What score do reckon it would be Dan ?
7-0 Leeds

Ball bounced off Chris Wood seven times and into the goal. :mrgreen:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:7-0 Leeds

Ball bounced off Chris Wood seven times and into the goal. :mrgreen: