Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:50 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
9%
2-2 or higher
No votes
Wigan by 1 goal
No votes
Leeds by 1
55%
Wigan by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
No votes
Wigan by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
36%

Total votes: 11

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Untitled-6.jpg
............................................................Streaming links to follow

Hi Folks,

Leeds travel down to the DW Stadium on Sunday Lunchtime to face an inconsistent Wigan side.

The Latics have lost back to back games against Millwall and the Blades, yet less than a fortnight ago beat West Brom.

Leeds will be without Berardi and Ayling who are both expected to be out of action until the New Year whilst Douglas and Harrison are both expected to start following positive displays against Hull u23's earlier in the week.

Bielsa must decide whether to stick with Forshaw, or recall Saiz who had a positive influence following his second half inclusion.

Dallas will fight it out with Shackleton for the right back role.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Wigan Athletic v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

____________________Peacock-Farrell__________________

____Jansson__________Phillips____________Cooper_____

Shackleton___________________________________Douglas

Hernandez________Klich________Forshaw_______Clarke

_________________________Roofe________________________
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

In the last game he gave Tom Pearce a go at left back as a substitute when Ayling went off injured
He replaced Dallas who them moved to right back, and then about half an hour later Pearce
the substitute gets hauled off, and Alioski moves to the left back position, and everybody wonders
has Bielsa lost the plot... what a waste of a substitution.

What had gone wrong??? I'll tell you what I think, although Peace defended well he gave absolutely
no forward momentum... 95% of his passes were either backwards or sideways. He slowed the game down,
was not adventurous enough, was too timid on the ball, and preferred to play it safe, in contrast to
Jack Clarke who had his motor running and revving it to the max. Peace although he was a good engine,
we saw that at the end of last year, just refused to get out of first gear, and that is a cardinal sin when
playing Bielsaball.

If you don't follow the philosophy then you will get hauled off the pitch as fast as shite off a hot shovel.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 am In the last game he gave Tom Pearce a go at left back as a substitute when Ayling went off injured
He replaced Dallas who them moved to right back, and then about half an hour later Pearce
the substitute gets hauled off, and Alioski moves to the left back position, and everybody wonders

What had gone wrong??? I'll tell you what I think, although Peace defended well he gave absolutely
no forward momentum... 95% of his passes were either backwards or sideways. He slowed the game down,
was not adventurous enough, was too timid on the ball, and preferred to play it safe, in contrast to
Jack Clarke who had his motor running and revving it to the max. Peace although he was a good engine,
we saw that at the end of last year, just refused to get out of first gear, and that is a cardinal sin when
playing Bielsaball.

If you don't follow the philosophy then you will get hauled off the pitch as fast as shite off a hot shovel.
Valid points Rab but it was Pearce's first appearance in quite a while and was probably conscious of that fact and so I he think he played most of his passes safe so he didn't make any mistakes. It will be difficult for anyone coming into the side who isn't familiar with Bielsa ball. Pearce has made the majority of his fist team appearances under Heck.
Our back four are all that stand between the opposition and our goal so I would rather them make a simple pass than try and take someone on and lose possession.
We did look better once Jack Clarke came on though and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he gets a start.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 am In the last game he gave Tom Pearce a go at left back as a substitute when Ayling went off injured

playing Bielsaball.

I get your point with pierce however he is young and is probably and understandably a little cautious just setting foot in the team, with a few games under his belt we will see a different player as we did at the end of last season
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I picked that up day of game that Pearce wasn't pushing forward enough, he's a very good crosser of the ball and we didn't get to see any. But I think this was a tactical change not one born of poor play. No idea if he was asked to to focus on defending first and foremost but it wasn't the Tom Pearce that can wreak havoc...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Oscar's views
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Views from Down Under
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Views from down under
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 am Oscar's views
I can't argue with Oscar's suggested formation.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 am Oscar's views
Had the pleasure of meeting up with Oscar in the kop at the Forest game

He said he hasn't been on MOT of late, I replied "you have as Rab keeps posting up your blogs"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Defensively Wigan look very suspect. They let Billy Sharp put 3 past them.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 pm Defensively Wigan look very suspect. They let Billy Sharp put 3 past them.
Seem a very different team at home though, they would have studied our game at Blackburn and will fancy their chances, we have got to take the game to them and obviously tighten up on set pieces,
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am I can't argue with Oscar's suggested formation.
I probably could but I hate watching vloggers so no idea what he's said
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Worried about this.

Wigan are good at home,unbeaten.

And regardless of excuses valid or not our own form has been mid table for to long now.

3 points is needed, wont make or break our season if not but our form is cause for concern.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Yes agree CJay, this is a much tougher fixture than it may first appear when you glance at the table. Wigan have one of the best records at home in the league and have beaten West Brom recently amongst others. We will need to be right on it to get the 3 points. I am assuming Dallas will start at right back, which concerns me greatly but then again we have little or no other options. Hopefully Douglas is back as he has been sorely missed both defensively and for he's superb delivery going forward.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I am thinking my 3-1 prediction is total rubbish now!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:40 pm Worried about this.

Wigan are good at home,unbeaten.

And regardless of excuses valid or not our own form has been mid table for to long now.

3 points is needed, wont make or break our season if not but our form is cause for concern.
Interesting that Wigan are unbeaten at home, they looked dreadful when I saw them, we should be too good for them, need to start making something of all that possession. I'm sticking my neck out and saying we will win by a few.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

We need to break a habit and actually score twice or more for a change
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:39 am We need to break a habit and actually score twice or more for a change
Three or four would be great :-D