Dan James

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Dan James

Post by Cjay »

Whisper it quietly but is Dan finally finding some consistency and end product?

That is 3 very decent performances in a row.

3 goals, all 3 very decent finishes.

OK he isnt creating chances and causing problems as much as Summerville but he works as hard if not harder.

He's probably our best presser and he seems to be learning a bit that he can't just kick and run, he slows down more, takes the time to square up his man etc.

Been a big critic of his but I'm pleased to see improvement and he's showing a bit more lately than kick and run.

Keep going Dan.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Big impact
He is way above Championship standard
Turbulent couple of years for him. Bielsa playing him up top was the start of a downward spiral in form. Fulham never worked.

Can never fault commitment and attitude.

Keep it going Dan
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Really pleased for Dan, long may it continue. :tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Starting to add goals, which is good to see. But I think he might be one of those players who falls into the "too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL" category.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Young, and very much a work in progress, still don't know what you're gonna get from him.

He's definitely looking better, is that DF's work ? Coz it's the Championship ? The players he's playing with ? Combining well with Gray ?
Rutter ? Piroe ? Better on the right ? Cutting in more ? Running at players more ?

There was one split second decision he had to make yesterday when Archie was aiming to pass to Rutter, James got in the way of it and fcked it by not taking the ball in his stride and the ball went out of play for a goal kick.

In that split second, what should he have done ?

It's those kind of decisions that can make a difference.

James's split second thought wasn't to let the ball run to Rutter as was the intended pass from Archie, but to try and grab it for himself.

If he puts the right touch on the ball into his stride and not out of play, then crosses it for a goal or shoots and scores himself, it looks magic, as it was - he looked a twat.

And Archie actually pointed to it and the bench.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:18 pm Whisper it quietly but is Dan finally finding some consistency and end product?

That is 3 very decent performances in a row.

3 goals, all 3 very decent finishes.

OK he isnt creating chances and causing problems as much as Summerville but he works as hard if not harder.

He's probably our best presser and he seems to be learning a bit that he can't just kick and run, he slows down more, takes the time to square up his man etc.

Been a big critic of his but I'm pleased to see improvement and he's showing a bit more lately than kick and run.

Keep going Dan.
The data certainly seems to support your assessment, Cjay.

And if that's not enough, I think Dan definitely passes the eye test too :)

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFCDATA/status/172 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

SG90 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:29 am Starting to add goals, which is good to see. But I think he might be one of those players who falls into the "too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL" category.
You’re not far off there, if he keeps working hard he’ll be at the top end of championship level, I think that’s about his barrow.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:17 pm You’re not far off there, if he keeps working hard he’ll be at the top end of championship level, I think that’s about his barrow.
James has been brilliant this season.

Top championship footballer.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

It pains me to say this but I’m starting to like Dan James.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 am It pains me to say this but I’m starting to like Dan James.
There's nothing to not like.

He's battling away for his place, and possibly his future.

He's been around quite a bit now for a young lad, i forget who he was under at Swansea, but i'm sure he 's got words in his head from Bert, who was he under at scum ? He's played international managers, Giggs for one, Fulham ?

He's young, has a lot of doubters to prove.

What's the best way to go about proving he's good enough, if he feels he is ?

Listen, learn, try your hardest, give it your all on the pitch lad - and it should come through.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Plymouth (h)

Good
5 Joint-second most runs
5 decent passes
3 most decent crosses :gold:
2 excellent passes
1 ball recoveries
1 interception
1 block
1 attacking header
1 dribble
1 goal :soccer:

Bad
1 lost possession

Summary
Another fine display & a smashing goal to boot.

9/10
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I was upset when DJ was sent out on loan last season. I felt it was a massive mistake and given the injuries we had it was a risk. I'm very happy to see his improvement this season. And I see him as an important player once we get promoted.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Get your votes in :)

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1724095 ... gr%5Etweet
In Farke we trust...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He's such a phenomenally frustrating player at times

But God bless him he works so very very hard and is quietly having a very impressive season.

5 goals 4 assists in only 1119 minutes, it's not the best ratio we have (Summerville got that locked down for the entire league) but it's not bad.

He's joint 3rd for big chances created (Rutter top, Summerville joint 2nd).

11th for chances created overall.

He's quietly having a very decent season and he works very hard.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

If i was him now, i'd be thinking-

"reet, i've got a clean slate with a new manager, a manager that seems to like something in me, there's no way i want to lose my place if i want to make it at this game, I think i'd better listen to what he wants from me, do what he asks me to do, and ask him if there's anything else he can help me with to help me improve my game for him "

And knuckle down for the next 5 years trying my damnest to see where it takes me, whilst trying to learn all the time from anyone i can.

Jimmys another that's always been frustrated in the reserves coz he felt he was good enough, good on him, same advice, carry on letting your boots talk and who knows, someone like Liverpool might start looking, tis the only way - You listening Gnonto ya prick??

;@)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19 pm He's such a phenomenally frustrating player at times

But God bless him he works so very very hard and is quietly having a very impressive season.

5 goals 4 assists in only 1119 minutes, it's not the best ratio we have (Summerville got that locked down for the entire league) but it's not bad.

He's joint 3rd for big chances created (Rutter top, Summerville joint 2nd).

11th for chances created overall.

He's quietly having a very decent season and he works very hard.
And he wants to be here, when he had every right to feel pissed off with the way he was treated. Got his head down and worked and it's paying off. Long may it continue.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

The main things going for Dan James this season are that he is playing in his natural position and having a good manager at his side.

I know this is only the Champo but it is a great opportunity for him to work on his game, that he seems to be doing.

What I really like about the lad is that even if he is off it a bit, he still makes a right nuisence of himself.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

"I don't want that to happen again," says Dan James with a genuine desire to put a difficult year behind him.

The winger looked surplus to requirements at Elland Road under former manager Jesse Marsch and was sent on loan to Fulham where he scored three goals in 23 appearances.

"Not every year is going to be moving forward," James tells BBC Radio Leeds. "It was kind of a learning curve going out on loan and maybe not playing as much as I wanted to and come back. It gives you that fight to make sure it doesn't happen again."

With the World Cup thrown into the middle of last season it meant there was a lot of disruption for the Wales international and his family, who were not able to move into a house until after he returned from Qatar last December.

Even pre-season was delayed after international duty for James, who was delighted to learn of Daniel Farke's intentions for him when he arrived back at Elland Road.

"He wants me here and I said exactly the same," said James

"Having that was really nice to hear. We spoke about last season and I wanted to come here this season and show what I can give to the team. Last season wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I wanted to put that in the past. He's been great with me since day one."

Farke's faith in James has been repaid. Six goals and four assists in 17 Championship appearances is the proof that the 26-year-old speed merchant has added finishing to his repertoire. James reveals that Farke has not tweaked his game particularly but admits that if he misses a chance he now has "a resilience" to get in that position again and score.

James told BBC Radio Leeds: "I've come out of games before and I've counted how many shots or crosses I've made and I've made one shot. So how are you going to score in games with just one shot? When I'm coming with six or seven you'd like to think one of them will go in."

James, who is approaching half a century of caps for his country, is hoping to reach Euro 2024 in Germany via the play-offs, which begin with a semi-final against Finland in March. With compatriots Joe Rodon and Ethan Ampadu playing alongside him at Elland Road it's shaping up to be an exciting campaign for club and country.

With one son just having turned two and beginning to work out what Christmas is, and another on the way in a few months, 2024 on and off the pitch is looking promising for James.

He concludes: "Everything is great at the moment. I'm loving life here."

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Coventry (h)

Good
4 tackles (most) :gold:
3 runs
3 most decent crosses :gold:
2 decent passes
2 interceptions
1 excellent cross
1 ball recovery
1 excellent shot saved
1 shot blocked

Bad
2 shots wide
1 poor pass
1 poor cross

Summary
Another super display & could have won it at the end, Dan had run his socks off for the whole 90 minutes.

7.5/10
1964white

Post by 1964white »

More tackles than any of our defensive players, say it all about James work rate.

Dan has grown on me this season!