Options

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Options

Post by Cjay »

That imo is the most important thing to come out of the transfer window..

At times our squad was (with the greatest of respect) devoid of quality outside of the 1st 11.

Only had to look at our bench sometimes over the last few years, you knew 4-5 of the 7 had as much chance of coming off the bench as Eddie Gray had of being asked to put his boots on at half time.

But now (with the exception of cm and gk hopefully that is added to) we have options.

At full back we have.
Ayling, Dallas, Ali, Davis and Harrison (imo he is destined to end up at left back eventually).

At cb we have.
Coops, Koch, Llorente and Struijk.

4 big strong cbs, questions about Coops it has to be said but thats what Llorente is for.

On the wings.
Costa, Harrison, Poveda, Raphinha. Havent included Pablo because i think his time as a winger is done.

Pace in the wide areas, with the exception of JH who is probably not the fastest but not to slow, we have real pace and flair out wide.

In the 10 we do have options.
Rodders, Pablo, Roberts and Raphinha or maybe Costa or maybe Poveda.

All capable imo, always think back to MB's comments when Saiz left about him being the only player we had capable of carrying the ball up the pitch through the middle.

Its never been fixed, never signed a proper number 10, but MB prefers converting wingers (look into it he has done it many times, Payet, Munain, De Marcos, Benzia).

So wouldn't be a shock to see one of our wingers as a 10.

Finally striker.
Paddy and Rodders.

2 strikers is all MB wants, we have 2.

Decent, you can only really suggest 2 areas where we are very thin and probably need extra, a 3rd may he a concern.

Goalie- Would like an experienced backup.

Cm- If something happens to Klich we have a problem.

Left back- not having a natural left footed left back of the required quality to start in the Prem is a concern. But i do think Harrison will end up at lb, expect a similar career trajectory to Dallas.

Overall happy.

I think our attacking options look great, biggest compliment is the fact King Pablo is out doesnt terrify me like it used to.

So are we happy?

Want more?

Best signing?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Options

Post by 1964white »

Indeed Cjay our squad was threadbare at times last season, fortunately we didn't incur too many injuries, we took a risk & got away with it in the championship, cruising that league in the end

Wouldn't have been the case over a sustained period this time unless we recruited quality signings, we have now developed a squad capable of attaining a high position in the Premier League.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Would've liked Kiko gone and a replacement, and a powerful CM. But I'm happy as we are for now and up to January. Hope we save £20m on Cantwell etc and give Shackleton a chance instead. If we're desperate, we can always get someone better in in the January window.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

As someone has said, on another thread I think, what happens if Klich gets injured for a longish period? I can’t think what the formation would be if he was out for say a couple of months, I don’t think we have a direct replacement for him long term, have we?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phillips steps up into CMF, Struijk plays the DMF..Shack can also play the CMF at a pinch. Dallas is also a possibility. So not too worrying at all
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Let's not Forget Forshaw.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

I feel much safer now for the coming season.

We just changed the batteries in our smoke detector.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:42 pm As someone has said, on another thread I think, what happens if Klich gets injured for a longish period? I can’t think what the formation would be if he was out for say a couple of months, I don’t think we have a direct replacement for him long term, have we?
Shackleton
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:24 pm Let's not Forget Forshaw.
He's done as a pro I think.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Think you nailed it CJ... summarised what is being said on about 5 different threads...
you knew 4-5 of the 7 had as much chance of coming off the bench as Eddie Gray had of being asked to put his boots on at half time.
Oh come on ...Eddie had far more chance of being asked to lace up... :lol:
At full back we have. Ayling, Dallas, Ali, Davis and Harrison (imo he is destined to end up at left back eventually
Concur...
At cb we have. Coops, Koch, Llorente and Struijk
Again concur...
On the wings. Costa, Harrison, Poveda, Raphinha. Havent included Pablo because i think his time as a winger is done.
Yet again concur...
In the 10 we do have options. Rodders, Pablo, Roberts and Raphinha or maybe Costa or maybe Poveda
I cannot get rid of the feeling that Bielsa is going to work on Raphinha for the #10 slot... But someone got me thinking in another thread (think it was gessa) the other option would be Costa, due to not liking tackling to much (A Norman Hunter he aint :lol: )
Best signing?
Happy with all of them, including the young 'uns we have picked up...If I had to pick a best, right now it would be Koch... but I do think they are equally able...

Good post cj...
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Can you still sign free agents after the window? Some decent frees around Goetze, Mandzukic, Nasri, Ben Arfa, Defour, Kagawa, Imbula, Halilovic.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I'm really happy with our squad and options right now.

I was surprised that no move was made for a Keeper - Martinez went to Villa with no competition from anyone. Romero is 3rd choice at Manu. We've had opportunities, but it just shows that Bielsa is happy with Meslier, Casilla, Caprile.

Center mid and the 10 are OK while not having tons of quality in reserve. We obviously can't sell Forshaw right now. For me, Dallas backs up Klich. Phillips also able to move forward with Llorente (or a back 3) behind him. Bielsa seems to want to have the option of 2 CM's on the pitch (as he did with Dallas and Klich at Sheff U). That's why we've been touting Cuisance and Cantwell. But for now: Klich, Dallas, Forshaw, Shackleton are decent depth.

We could argue that many of our starting XI arent the quality of City and Liverpool. Players like Ayling, Dallas, Cooper, Bamford are all punching above their weight right now. But they bring great value to the team and the way we play. We'll bring in more quality players but it will be gradual so we can keep the core identity
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Definitely lots of options and agree with what the OP said for the most part. I think I mentioned in a different thread yesterday that Harrison might be being groomed as our leftback/wingback, based on we need to fit all our attacking players in, we had need for a leftback (Dallas is really our utility Milner type of player who can play anywhere), and Harrison was played at leftback for the U23s last week.

For the DM roll we also know Koch can play happily there based on reputation, giving us other options to rotate the midfield.

Ideally, I'd love to have seen someone like Romero in as backup keeper, and another player who can play #8/#10, though it's not an emergency. I had such a boner for RDP to join us; he had such intelligent play and passing and didn't look shy to put a foot in and work his nuts off when needed.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

AJS said ...
Players like Ayling, Dallas, Cooper, Bamford are all punching above their weight right now
I certainly get where you are coming from mate, but it takes the right teacher, not all are naturally gifted... a personal experience, one of my granddaughters , we struggled with for years thinking she had a learning disability... then we found the right teacher... after being years behind she got 7 O levels, and 3 A levels... a degree at Uni and last year just completed her masters... Bielsa definitely made them the players they are now... with the confidence they now have , should see them through the rest of their career's...
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:48 pm AJS said ...

I certainly get where you are coming from mate, but it takes the right teacher, not all are naturally gifted... a personal experience, one of my granddaughters , we struggled with for years thinking she had a learning disability... then we found the right teacher... after being years behind she got 7 O levels, and 3 A levels... a degree at Uni and last year just completed her masters... Bielsa definitely made them the players they are now... with the confidence they now have , should see them through the rest of their career's...
Great point. A good teacher doesn't just teach, they give students confidence to achieve.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

faaip wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm Phillips steps up into CMF, Struijk plays the DMF..Shack can also play the CMF at a pinch. Dallas is also a possibility. So not too worrying at all
Shuffling the pack is ok for 1 or 2 games perhaps but I’m not sure it is a long term solution. Hypothetical I know and God forbid, but if Klich got a bad injury, Shackleton would probably be the only possible replacement without having to fit players in to their less preferred and slightly weaker positions (Phillips and Dallas both weaker at amf than dmf and left full back respectively) and I’m not sure he’s quite ready Just yet.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

IMO Kalvin and Klich are interchangeable anyway, V City you often saw Mattuez sitting behind Kalvin in midfield, maybe why he looked a little quieter. Kalvin started his life as an AMF and I'm very comfortable with him in the Klich role behind the AMF..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:11 pm IMO Kalvin and Klich are interchangeable anyway, V City you often saw Mattuez sitting behind Kalvin in midfield, maybe why he looked a little quieter. Kalvin started his life as an AMF and I'm very comfortable with him in the Klich role behind the AMF..
Spelling lesson required........................and it’s even on your avatar :roll: :)
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

some of you have real downers on certain players
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Love the goalkeeper one.
Attachments
options.jpg
options.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!