Leeds United v West Ham Utd - Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds United v West Ham Utd - Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 11th December 20:00| Elland Road

Leeds face yet another defensive crisis, as they welcome Wet Ham to Elland Road. Robin Koch had undergone knee surgery and is now sidelined until the spring. Fellow central defender, and Summer signing Diego Llorente had been out of action since 11th October during International Duty with Spain, but was thrown in at the deep end against Chelsea due to Koch's injury after just 10 minutes. The 27 year old will now be out for a further three weeks after picking up a new muscle injury in that game.

Bielsa cunningly revealed during his day early press conference that due to the injury situation, Luke Ayling will partner Liam Cooper at centre back, with Stuart Dallas at right-back and Gjanni Alioski at left-back (but don't tell West Ham)! Record signing Rodrigo, who should be pretty cheesed off by now for being used as a bit player for the first quarter of the season, gets his second start of the season playing in the number tel role. Bielsa took the trouble to read out his starting line up for the benefit of journalists at the pre match press conference...

Rodrigo Moreno is going to come in for Llorente and the 11 will be Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Moreno, Raphinha, Harrison, Bamford
For David Moyes, top scorer Michail Antonio is again doubtful so Sebastien Haller is likely to continue in attack. Ryan Fredericks is expected to be available again for West Ham after a three-match absence with a groin strain. West Ham are currebtly sat eight in the table with 17 points, a total Leeds could equal with victory on Friday night. After a sluggish start to the season the Hammers have picked up some form with draws against Manhester city and Spurs followed by victories against Leicester, Villa, Sheffield United and Fulham. They were unlucky to be beaten by Manchester United last weekend in a game they could have put to bed before the visitors comeback.

Leeds are unbeaten in nine meetings, winning five of them, since a 1-0 home defeat in November 2000. The most recent Premier League encounter between the sides came in February 2003, with hosts Leeds winning 1-0. This will be West Ham's 50th away league trip to Leeds. They have won just six of their previous visits. Leeds have gone four matches without a win at Elland Road, losing and drawing twice and scoring only two goals. The Whites have never lost a top-flight home game played on a Friday (W3, D6). Leeds have gone four matches without a win at Elland Road, losing and drawing twice and scoring only two goals. The Hammers have only lost twice in eight away league matches.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Moreno, Raphinha, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Struijk, Shackleton, Costa, Roberts, Hernandez, Poveda
gessa

Re: Leeds Utd V West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by gessa »

West Ham have been the surprise package for me this season, had a poor start, then had 6 really difficult games on the bounce, coming out of them with a decent points total, this won't be easy and they will be looking to sit back and hit us on the break like they have done many times this season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

MB has another admirer.

An all time great.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:00 pm West Ham have been the surprise package for me this season, had a poor start, then had 6 really difficult games on the bounce, coming out of them with a decent points total, this won't be easy and they will be looking to sit back and hit us on the break like they have done many times this season.
Oh heck not again ;-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

gessa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:00 pm West Ham have been the surprise package for me this season, had a poor start, then had 6 really difficult games on the bounce, coming out of them with a decent points total, this won't be easy and they will be looking to sit back and hit us on the break like they have done many times this season.
Agree, this match is set up very nicely for them.

We typically struggle to break down teams like this and then get caught with a sucker punch.

I heard that they had the least possession in PL last season, so they are quite happy to sit back, let us have the ball, and do a smash n grab on the counter. They also have the added bonus of our poor execution of set-pieces at both ends of the park.

Bowen could make mincemeat of Alioski and Harrison on our left side.

Hopefully, Rodders helps us to create more and be clinical in attack and Ayling and Cooper can defend the aerial bombardment.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Oh no, not Jarrod Bowen. Other than him and Snoddy i don't know much about West Ham. Mark Noble has been a good player for them over the years but his best days are behind him. Credit goes to Moyes, he looks like he has got them up for the fight again. I think its already been mentioned on here Moyes is in that bracket of win at all costs, (ie ugly) 3 points is what matters. We know Bielsa loves to entertain.

After two decent defensive displays it was back to Moses against Chelski but they are a very good side. You can imagine Franks team talk. Lets go out and run further than them and the quality will take care of its self. Thankfully West Ham are must closer to our level, altho i'm not quite sure where we are yet? Its always going to be a lottery with Leeds you feel this season. The good, the bad and sometimes the down right ugly but i wouldn't swap it for any other team. Its been a great ride.

Bielsa has named the side minimal changes as expected. He will be wanting them to but Chelski to bed. We are due a rousing win where everything hits the back of the net instead of the post and row z. I am abit concerned about Marcelo's self fulfilling prophecy about us firing blanks. He needs to go back to the alter and pray for goals, lots of them, because with our defending we will need them.

There is still a argument for me to play 2 DM to help out the back four. Phillips and Struijk could be a formidable midfield wall? and then have Raph, Harrison/Costa, Klich/Hernandez (remember him) and Rodders leading a fluid front line to do some damage. Oh happy days. Oh happy days... No i haven't forgot Bamford. He comes on late in the game with fresh legs. :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Next door neighbour is a life long Hammer, so clearly he has to come round ours (with his away shirt on) to watch the match, given we're at home.

Got some world beers in (Greek/Estonian/Mexican) and an assortment of match snacks so all we need is a top drawer game, with a Home win. At least he won't have far to go, disappointed after the game :)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

any mention how hernandez is??. he is crucial to us and just because he spat his dummy out by being subed by the mighty roberts there is no need to keep punishing our best player, i'm not having it he is injured, we need him on at some point tonight, but glad to see rodrigo and raphina starting.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:10 pm any mention how hernandez is??

Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Right then.

Must win this.

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 pm
Bielsa also said he was fit in his presser the other day.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Seeing we are so close to KO I merged the pre game debate thread with this one

Will there be any supporters in Elland Road tonight?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Early Leeds United Weekend Thread - Pre - Leeds v West Ham Debate

Post by White Riot »

Carrick Dave wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:25 pm The little time Rod and Paddy have been seen on the pitch together they seemed to have been developing a bit of an understanding and appear to like playing together, I hope it flourishes into the sort of 9/10 partnership we need.

I wish Klich would start hitting the target, even a jammy goal might re-ignite his cutting edge going forward (to mix my metaphors). :)
You're right Dave Paddy and Rodders seem to be gelling well.

Yeah, we definitely need more goals from elsewhere, Paddy's doing his bit, that finish at Chelsea was absolutely brilliant :clap:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm Seeing we are so close to KO I merged the pre game debate thread with this one

Still not allowed with the tier system I think Ian :x
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:22 pm So four of us think Struijk should have been given an opportunity tonight.

Must be frustrating for Pascal when he is 4th in line after our CB's Cooper, Koch & Llorente but still isn't starting :o
Its a pretty weak back four isn't it? Our 2 expensive CB's out. Set-pieces are going to have me on edge all night. Lets hope we are back to our best possession wise. This is probably a game i don't mind if West Ham park the bus as long as we put some bullet holes in it.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm Four think Costa should replace Jack
If Jacks not firing again i hope he turns to Costa this time personally. Jack needs a big performance tonight. Wingers are so vital to the way we set up. Lets hope he has one of his better nights.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

White Riot wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 pm Still not allowed with the tier system I think Ian :x
It would seem that the mass testing in Liverpool was designed to get fans back in the stadium. I wonder if Rick Parry had owt to do with it? :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Pablo and Shacks on the bench :clap:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Leeds1000 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:57 pm It would seem that the mass testing in Liverpool was designed to get fans back in the stadium. I wonder if Rick Parry had owt to do with it? :)
Probably the twisted cnut :rant:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:28 pm Seeing we are so close to KO I merged the pre game debate thread with this one

I was going to use that thread for Post Match debate over the weekend Ian :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

West Ham United: Fabianski, Coufal, Balbuena, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Rice (c), Soucek, Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals, Haller
Subs: Randolph, Fredericks, Johnson, Dawson, Noble, Snodgrass, Lanzini

Leeds United: Meslier, Ayling, Cooper (c), Alioski, Klich, Phillips, Dallas, Raphinha, Harrison, Rodrigo, Bamford
Subs: Casilla, Poveda-Ocampo, Roberts, Costa, Hernandez, Struijk, Shackleton