Junior Firpo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Junior Firpo

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm Firpo looks very decent going forward at this level. We'll need better when we go up.
Yeah, and not just him is needing replaced Leon.

Meslier, Cooper, Bamford, Shackleton and James all need traded in for upgrades.

We tried the cheap, sentimental approach last time, and you saw how well that went.

I'm confident that Daniel already has the wheat sorted from the chaff, and will be bringing in better players in the summer.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I hope some folks dont come to regret all this talk of who we need to bring in when we ARE IN the Premiership next season. I'm praying that we are as i think with this squad and manager, plus 3 or 4 players to strengthen the squad we can do ok.
BUT lets get there first and stop temping fate. :) :victory:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:53 pm Yeah, and not just him is needing replaced Leon.

Meslier, Cooper, Bamford, Shackleton and James all need traded in for upgrades.

We tried the cheap, sentimental approach last time, and you saw how well that went.

I'm confident that Daniel already has the wheat sorted from the chaff, and will be bringing in better players in the summer.
I expect several of our squad to move on if we reach the promised land, James.

Darlow or Klaesson, Ayling, Cooper, Firpo, Shackleton, Dallas, Piroe, Gelhardt, Bamford, Perkins, Gyabi, Greenwood, Bate, Poveda & Drameh.

I don't think the loanees Roberts & Anthony will be at Leeds too.

Then there are the likes of Harrison, Aaronson, Llorente & wober to sort out as well

I do think, Meslier & James will be retained

Busy summer coming up!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 pm I expect several of our squad to move on if we reach the promised land, James.

Darlow or Klaesson, Ayling, Cooper, Firpo, Shackleton, Dallas, Piroe, Gelhardt, Bamford, Perkins, Gyabi, Greenwood, Bate, Poveda & Drameh.

Then there are the likes of Harrison, Aaronson, Llorente & wober to sort out as well

Busy summer coming up!
I don't think we'll have a mass offload. We need to add to our numbers next season. Some will leave naturally. I think Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Greenwood, Drameh, Poveda, Bate are all out of contract.

For a few that haven't been good enough for the championship, you have to think they'll leave. But recently there was talk of a new contract for Shackleton - a useful member of any squad especially as he's a Leeds fan and doesn't complain about playing time.

Nobody else I'd offload beyond the expired contracts and youngsters that haven't cut the championship.

I'm sure Farke is taking a look at all the loaned players to see who might be of use - possibly Harrison, Wober, Aaronson

Firpo is the one first team player you'd think they might let go. Getting back on the Junior Firpo thread here ;-) But, as has seemed to be a decade long theme, we need to sign a better left back. Wonder if we'd reconsider Leif Davis if Ipswich don't go up.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 pm I expect several of our squad to move on if we reach the promised land, James.

Busy summer coming up!
I wouldn’t throw Roberts out just yet, obviously early days, but he might be alright.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:27 pm I wouldn’t throw Roberts out just yet, obviously early days, but he might be alright.
Difficult to judge, atm.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PhoenixUnited »

This quasi love in with Junior Firpo is interesting. There is not much of a choice but to play him although Firpo simply is not a good enough player to be playing in this league and at this level.
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sheff Wed
Junior's cross he produced for the opener was a bit of magic. Some scary defensive moments in the second half but some nice attacking play.

14 excellent actions
3 defensive clearances
2 tackles
2 runs
1 cross blocked
1 defensive block
1 defensive header
1 sublime cross for Bamford's goal :fire:

Negatives
4 poor passes (3 out of our box in dangerous areas)
2 dribbled past
2 lost possession

A mix of good & really poor from Junior.

I'll forgive him as his cross for our first goal came at the right time.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bailed Paddy and Rodon out defensively, decent defensive performance on top of a good offensive one. Could have had two assists if Geo's near post shot had gone in
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:29 am Bailed Paddy and Rodon out defensively, decent defensive performance on top of a good offensive one. Could have had two assists if Geo's near post shot had gone in
Another one who has done well at this level, but like Bamford & Piroe, I'll be totally surprised if all three can hack in the Premier League.

We require above championship level players to cope in the PL, watching the Liverpool & Citeh game was absorbing, but frightening from a Leeds perspective!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A premier proven striker is gonna cost 50 mill plus, and very unlikely to come to ER. We’ll have to gamble from Europe or lower divisions. Plenty of current premier league class strikers have been considered not to be good enough for the top level. Vardy and Toney spring to mind
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:29 am Bailed Paddy and Rodon out defensively, decent defensive performance on top of a good offensive one. Could have had two assists if Geo's near post shot had gone in
How could the Geo near post shot have equated to an assist from Firpo. Geo ran towards the bye line turned ran back the opposite way beat a couple of players before swivelling and getting a shot away. Where would Firpo have assisted that if it had gone in. Presumably because he passed it to him in the first place????

He was better defensively in the 2nd half because he wasn’t under sustained pressure - Wendies changed formation which did not really improve their threat. Everyone improved the 2nd half because we gained a measure of control over the game.

In the first half he was one of a number who treated the ball like a hot potato.
Last edited by DDB220 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:49 am Another one who has done well at this level, but like Bamford & Piroe, I'll be totally surprised if all three can hack in the Premier League.

We require above championship level players to cope in the PL, watching the Liverpool & Citeh game was absorbing, but frightening from a Leeds perspective!
PB's already proved himself there Sid for Bert, i feel there's 1 good year left in him there playing the way we do, and if he can stay fit, big if.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:37 pm How could the Geo near placed shot have equated to an assist from Firpo. Geo ran towards the bye line turned ran back the opposite way beat a couple of players before swivelling and getting a shot away. Where would Firpo have assisted that if it had gone in. Presumably because he passed it to him in the first place????
Isn't it a shame some here just don't tell the truth, it's like they play Devils advocate on purpose to try and stir something up.

Either that or they just really do not know what they're on abart at all. :roll:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Kenny - I am on the fence regarding Bamford regarding another season in the Prem - if we went up.
He would have to be a starter as I doubt he would be content sitting on the bench.
Getting another 9 would be on my shopping list. As much as I think Bamford has done a great job since getting back in the team I do not see him as the answer going forwards, other than as a squad player.
I like the look of Shanklin at Hearts. 28 goals this season. He looks lively and will not cost an arm and a leg.
Arsenal LB Tierney will also be available in the summer. However, his injury record would be a concern.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:53 pm Kenny - I am on the fence regarding Bamford regarding another season in the Prem - if we went up.
He would have to be a starter as I doubt he would be content sitting on the bench.
Getting another 9 would be on my shopping list. As much as I think Bamford has done a great job since getting back in the team I do not see him as the answer going forwards, other than as a squad player.
I like the look of Shanklin at Hearts. 28 goals this season. He looks lively and will not cost an arm and a leg.
Arsenal LB Tierney will also be available in the summer. However, his injury record would be a concern.
I suppose i'm on the fence with him, coz he's injury prone, that's why i say a 1 year contract, but i'd prefer to start him for games, and knacker him out after 65mins ish and replace, hopefully with Joseph, but yes we will need another anorl, and hopefully Piroe can learn to sprint a lot more.

Nunez was no good to Klopp at first, but he's worked on him (possibly along with Bert) and he don't half put himself abart now.

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:45 pm A premier proven striker is gonna cost 50 mill plus, and very unlikely to come to ER. We’ll have to gamble from Europe or lower divisions. Plenty of current premier league class strikers have been considered not to be good enough for the top level. Vardy and Toney spring to mind
Correct, strikers are costly and not easy to find.

The majority of championship top scorers tend to struggle at the highest level.

Vardy, Toney, Bowen, Solanke & Watkins have done well, though.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:17 pm Correct, strikers are costly and not easy to find.

I think we did well with Rodrigo last time up.... thought Bowen was midfield
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:38 pm PB's already proved himself there Sid for Bert, i feel there's 1 good year left in him there playing the way we do, and if he can stay fit, big if.
Indeed he has Kenny boy, 17 goals in our first PL season is not to be sniffed at, unfortunately injuries kicked in, then we ended up with James & Rodrigo playing as No.9s in the following two seasons.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have my reservations about Paddy's fitness level & lack of pace, as he would be 32yo next season. I feel we need to be looking for a high class striker, but they are not easy to come by.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:17 pm Correct, strikers are costly and not easy to find.

Premier proven striker ?? You can add Bamford to that list then, it is a subjective term.
A top technical finisher with pace will cost a lot of money wherever he hails from.
Those named above needed at least one season before they found their feet.
I remember the Spanish lad Chelse bought off Liverpool and the Russian/Ukranian. Neither were a hit.
We need a finisher who has the attributes to play Farke’s system. I am sure he will know what he is looking for and that is why he will make enquiries about Shanklin 😉😉