Junior Firpo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Junior Firpo

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 pm I think we did well with Rodrigo last time up.... thought Bowen was midfield
Yes, we missed after he was injured against Accrington Stanley.

Bowen is playing up top this season.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 18.41.20.png
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm Yes, we missed after he was injured against Accrington Stanley.

Bowen is playing up top this season.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 18.41.20.png
Did not know that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:05 pm I suppose i'm on the fence with him, coz he's injury prone, that's why i say a 1 year contract, but i'd prefer to start him for games, and knacker him out after 65mins ish and replace, hopefully with Joseph, but yes we will need another anorl, and hopefully Piroe can learn to sprint a lot more.

Nunez was no good to Klopp at first, but he's worked on him (possibly along with Bert) and he don't half put himself abart now.
Nunez has lightening pace though.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:43 pm Did not know that
14 goals & 3 assists this season.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:53 pm Kenny - I am on the fence regarding Bamford regarding another season in the Prem - if we went up.
He would have to be a starter as I doubt he would be content sitting on the bench.
Getting another 9 would be on my shopping list. As much as I think Bamford has done a great job since getting back in the team I do not see him as the answer going forwards, other than as a squad player.
I like the look of Shanklin at Hearts. 28 goals this season. He looks lively and will not cost an arm and a leg.
Arsenal LB Tierney will also be available in the summer. However, his injury record would be a concern.
A fit Tierney would be a great buy. I wonder if Arteta would be interested in a swap plus pay us some cash for Firpo :duno:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:38 pm PB's already proved himself there Sid for Bert, i feel there's 1 good year left in him there playing the way we do, and if he can stay fit, big if.
The concern though would be that Bamford proved himself there prior to the spate of injuries. I feel he is slower than he used to be which would be a concern. Wouldn't be getting rid though and would hope that in a way history repeated itself in that we bought another striker but Paddy's game goes up a level and he proves doubters wrong by doing it in the prem.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:49 pm The concern though would be that Bamford proved himself there prior to the spate of injuries. I feel he is slower than he used to be which would be a concern. Wouldn't be getting rid though and would hope that in a way history repeated itself in that we bought another striker but Paddy's game goes up a level and he proves doubters wrong by doing it in the prem.
I've got concerns over them all tbh Weasel, but the biggest force to counteract that is how he's gelled them as a unit and 'team'.

I feel we can get another year out of him, yes he's a biscuit, but i'd offer him another year. Even on a week to week basis or games played.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

In reply too DDB or anyone else who didn't rate Junior's performance as much as I did, here are his stats I picked up from watching a replay of the game.

22 very good actions
6 defensive headers
4 decent passes going forward
3 tackles
3 runs
3 interceptions
2 offensive crosses blocked
1 defensive shot blocked

Only Ampadu, Rodon & Rutter produced more very good pieces of play than Junior, his best defensive display, by far this season.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Whatever people’s thoughts are on Firpo there’s no denying he’s very confident atm, and it shows in his game.
There are the odd lapses in his defensive play but he’s balancing it out in his general play.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Some lovely runs v Wall too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Finnatic wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 am Whatever people’s thoughts are on Firpo there’s no denying he’s very confident atm, and it shows in his game.
There are the odd lapses in his defensive play but he’s balancing it out in his general play.
Firpo has been oustanding since returning from injury against Birmingham on New Year's Day.

Supporters should judge him on the here and now and not what's happened over the past 2 seasons as it's only the present that actually matters.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Finnatic wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 am Whatever people’s thoughts are on Firpo there’s no denying he’s very confident atm, and it shows in his game.
Reminds me of the likes of Alioski, Dallas etc that they looked good going forward but the more they played fullback the better they became defensively. I think the problem with Firpo is that everyone expected him to be better defensively given he was bought as a full back and had pedigree there.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am Reminds me of the likes of Alioski, Dallas etc that they looked good going forward but the more they played fullback the better they became defensively. I think the problem with Firpo is that everyone expected him to be better defensively given he was bought as a full back and had pedigree there.
His best defensive display this season vs Millwall, imo!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am Reminds me of the likes of Alioski, Dallas etc that they looked good going forward but the more they played fullback the better they became defensively. I think the problem with Firpo is that everyone expected him to be better defensively given he was bought as a full back and had pedigree there.
Bought as a wing back surely, Bielsa didn’t use full backs
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Gonna get laughed out of court here but hey ho. I’d loved to have seen us playing Byram at LB & Firpo on the wing giving Cry a rest, maybe in an earlier cup match. This would give him a chance to attack without having to constantly run back to defend, he’s got the legs to track back when needed to cover runners and can interchange with Sam as well. I still don’t trust him defending as his run across half the pitch to clatter the Millwall player showed but he causes havoc when attacking & is such a good crosser of the ball. I’d like to see what he’s like at free kicks and corners as well as we seem to have no-one who can hit a dead ball. If it doesn’t work out then we have Cry coming on fresh with something to prove same as James replacing Gnonto. Posting for a friend 😬
Keeping The Faith
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think he's done very well offensively since returning and gives a much better balance than Byram.

Defensive he is a mixed bag and always will be.

I think it's worth comparing to Barry Douglas in the sense that like Douglas, Firpo had a very sharp and brief rise in a very specific style.

Wing back for a team playing a back 3.

And he hadn't played much, 39 matches worth of minutes over 2 seasons then poof, off to Barcelona.

So his defensive skills will never really have been massively tested.

A cb in a back 3 helping cover, then playing for Barcelona who barely ever needed to defend back then whilst he was only backup for Jordi Alba.

Watched him regularly at Barcelona, very decent going forward, not so much the other way but he didn't have to be because he had prime Busquets mopping up behind him.

He is what he is, offensively he's very decent at this level and seems to have a very decent partnership with Summerville going.

Having said all this apparently he won't make it back from the International break in time for Watford apparently
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Based on the last 15 games or so is there a better left back than Firpo in the Championship ?

If so who is he and why is he better.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Oh and anyone saying Sam Byram can have a kick in the ging gangs :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jammy 07 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 pm Based on the last 15 games or so is there a better left back than Firpo in the Championship ?

If so who is he and why is he better.
In terms of attacking input it would seemingly be between him and Ipswich's Leif Davis. Leif has looked suspect defensively whenever i have seen him play and has 2 own goals, at least, this season. Fair amount of assists and think he has popped in with a goal or two as well.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aren't all wing backs defensively suspect?