The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 23rd November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Why is Junior Firpo struggling

Junior Firpo has struggled since his 13m move from Barcelona according to former White, Matt Kilgallon. The former centre back is of the opinion that Firpo thought a move to West Yorkshire would be a lot easier than what he was used to at the Camp Nou, but insists it's twice as hard!

He’s struggling at the minute. I think he’s come from Barcelona and maybe thought coming to the Premier League with Leeds might be not as hard; it’s twice as hard, you’ve got to give everything. "He had Covid and he’s been injured and injured again. You can’t be like that in the Premier League here. You’ve got to be fit because your team-mates get bored of it very quickly 'oh he’s injured again'. "It is hard to come over from another country and everything, but he’s got to be settling in.

Why is Firpo struggling so much? Didn't Leeds do their homework properly? Did they think he played for Barcelona, so he must be good?

Once Bamford is back, nobody will get a look in

Once Bamford is back in action, nobody else will get a look in. These are the words of Elland Road journalist Phil Hay who believes that Gelhardt will be benched in favour of Leeds No 9 once he returns...

I’m largely swayed by that argument too - that once Bamford is back, nobody gets a look in up front. But I’m also starting to feel that the line of ‘once we’re up to full strength’ is a little fanciful because Leeds don’t ever seem to be at full strength. I think Gelhardt is going to be an outstanding player and I do want to see him play more but options would be nice and there have been too many games this season (in my view) where Leeds haven’t had enough of them.

It's absolute madness that Leeds thought they could go a second season in the Premiership with one goalscoring forward

Jan transfer window at ER is like an uncomfortable family wedding

Phil Hay has likened a January transfer window at Elland Road with an uncomfortable family wedding during his latest segment on 'The Athletic'. He further stipulates that any incoming signing will not just need to be fit, but Bielsa fit before they can grace the turf at Elland Road; and the New Year window rarely represents good value for money.

Thoughts, then, turn to the January window which Leeds tend to treat like an uncomfortable family wedding. You’re in there, you have to play the game but it’s not much fun, last orders will be called before you know it so don’t spend money if you can avoid it.

There are, it should be said, some good reasons for that and they have been discussed here at length: Bielsa’s stipulations on the attributes he wants, Bielsa’s insistence on tip-top fitness in a window where many available players are surplus at their current clubs, and Victor Orta’s view that transfer fees in January often represent poor value. Through the early part of this season, the message from Leeds was that they intended to sit this January out, unless sitting it out was obviously asking for trouble".

What happens in practice will depend on budget and what is actually out there. Bielsa pointed out yesterday that adding to his squad “should not be evaluated without looking at the economic possibilities” but there was no way of watching a 2-1 defeat at Spurs and avoiding the fact that some mid-season transfer action, even a little, might do Leeds a favour.

At the crux of the discussion about future recruitment is a broader point. Leeds would surely benefit from more players at their disposal in the second half of this season. But whether those players are perfect in their head coach’s eyes, they also need a squad that is shored up not just for Bielsa but for whoever might follow him.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Firpo is struggling?

Post by Norm »

Can't speak for anybody else but I think Patrick Bamford has shown some excellent form since he signed for us - he's very intelligent in his skill in stopping the opposing team defenders from assisting their attacking players by keeping them occupied with his threat of scoring if they don't keep back where they should be to stop him, etc. From the games I've seen since he was injured we somehow don't seem to be as competent a team when he's not around to make the other side think.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is junor Firpo struggling?

Post by danhirons »

We're missing paddy so much. That's not really in question and I can't wait for him to come bsck!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is junor Firpo struggling?

Post by Chilli D »

If Paddy is out until the new year and Gelhardt is given a run of games I don't think we will miss him as much as people think.
I'm convinced Gelhardt will get us goals he just needs to be given a run. The more he gets used to how the team plays the better he will become.

I feel Firpo was starting to show good form when he got injured again so he's sort of taken a couple of steps back. At least he's back now but to be honest, Struijk has done a good job covering that position.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Our main problem isn't even in the forward areas, its the dreadful leaky defence. One clean sheet so far this season and if it continues points will be hard to come by. Problem seemed to improve dramatically when Llorente returned from injury but looks like were back to square one even with Llorente playing well again
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20 am Our main problem isn't even in the forward areas, its the dreadful leaky defence. One clean sheet so far this season and if it continues points will be hard to come by. Problem seemed to improve dramatically when Llorente returned from injury but looks like were back to square one even with Llorente playing well again
Correct, it's a simplistic view to say it's purely down to missing Paddy but he started the season and was poor through 5 games, scoring once while we had our worst period of the season. It is down to a defence and defensive midfield constantly in flux through 12 games. We've lost Ayling/Koch, Kalvin has missed games, as has Llorente. Dallas has played left back and right back, we've started 4 different right backs I think. Pascal, maybe our best left sided centre, has played DMF, CMF and now left back. Every time you alter the defensive make up it takes time to gel, 3-4 games at least and I'm fairly sure we haven't had the same defensive 6 (GK, defenders and DMF) playing 3 games in a row.

We could get Paddy back but until the defense is reliable it won't make any difference
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:20 am Our main problem isn't even in the forward areas, its the dreadful leaky defence. One clean sheet so far this season and if it continues points will be hard to come by. Problem seemed to improve dramatically when Llorente returned from injury but looks like were back to square one even with Llorente playing well again
Even when we play seven defensive players, we concede goals.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

Post by Eireleeds1 »

In my opinion some of the batterings we got should have been a warning signal that all was not well in that department. I don’t know if it’s personnel or tactics but needs sorting fast
Last edited by Eireleeds1 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 23rd November) Why is Junior Firpo struggling?

Post by Carrick Dave »

I thought the back 3 of Llorente, Kalvin and Cooper, with Dallas & Struijk playing wingback and Forshaw in front, looked as solid first half against Spurs as I've seen us for a while.

Firpo needs to find his feet to contribute - only Cresswell can be relied on the come in and do a job if needed.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

It's imperative Gelhardt is given a chance, even when paddy is fit, Gelhardt proper worries defenders and isn't afraid to shoot on sight.
Bielsa has to take a lot of blame for what happened in the 2nd half on sunday, how many alterations did he make, and how many did he need to make ??? plus he got them wrong.
Imho, a second goal when on top could have killed spurs' revival, typical of us.
It's now about getting unexpected results in this massive run against the big boys that will count, also I really do think we'll smash someone this season, it's only a matter of time.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:45 am I thought the back 3 of Llorente, Kalvin and Cooper, with Dallas & Struijk playing wingback and Forshaw in front, looked as solid first half against Spurs as I've seen us for a while.

Firpo needs to find his feet to contribute - only Cresswell can be relied on the come in and do a job if needed.
We did look solid in the first-half Davy, however once we had to make changes we had no quality back-up for any position of our team.

How many times do our subs effect a game even when we have a full quota of players, very rarely :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am Even when we play seven defensive players, we concede goals.
Bielsa's turned into Southgate 2.0 :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:32 pm We did look solid in the first-half Davy, however once we had to make changes we had no quality back-up for any position of our team.

How many times do our subs effect a game even when we have a full quota of players, very rarely :(
Yeppers, agree Leon :tup:

We're in the Prem now and standing still = regression.

Bielsa's tweaks didn't work.

Comes back to not being able, or willing, to continue the process of first team squad improvement in the summer.

We're counting on all our senior players being fit, in form and available when they never all are.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:32 pm We did look solid in the first-half Davy, however once we had to make changes we had no quality back-up for any position of our team.

Think the biggest differance in the 2nd half was more down to Spurs realising the could push more players forward and force Meslier into playing it long.
In the first half they didn't close our defenders down at all, was too easy to play out from the back.

Trouble is when Meslier is forced to play it long and we have a forward line of Harrison, Gelhardt & James we arn't going to win the ball so constantly gave possession away. We lack a big beast sized striker for these type situations.
I'm not been critical of our forwards but they all need the ball on the floor to be at their most effective but opposition will spot that they are all knee high to grasshoppers and cut out the service.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteroseboy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:12 pm Think the biggest differance in the 2nd half was more down to Spurs realising the could push more players forward and force Meslier into playing it long.
In the first half they didn't close our defenders down at all, was too easy to play out from the back.

Trouble is when Meslier is forced to play it long and we have a forward line of Harrison, Gelhardt & James we arn't going to win the ball so constantly gave possession away. We lack a big beast sized striker for these type situations.
I'm not been critical of our forwards but they all need the ball on the floor to be at their most effective but opposition will spot that they are all knee high to grasshoppers and cut out the service.
Yeah, good points WRB :clap:

I would also say that Conte is a crafty old fox too. He made the tweaks needed at HT and then roused his players and the crowd, which generated their performance.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:35 am Even when we play seven defensive players, we concede goals.
Couple of proper spawny goals for them though :x
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:29 pm It's imperative Gelhardt is given a chance, even when paddy is fit, Gelhardt proper worries defenders and isn't afraid to shoot on sight.
Bielsa has to take a lot of blame for what happened in the 2nd half on sunday, how many alterations did he make, and how many did he need to make ??? plus he got them wrong.
Imho, a second goal when on top could have killed spurs' revival, typical of us.
It's now about getting unexpected results in this massive run against the big boys that will count, also I really do think we'll smash someone this season, it's only a matter of time.
Tbh MC, Bielsa's limited in the choices he can make, due to what's available and also the likes of Klich and Rodrigo are usually blowing out their arses after 60 minutes and need to come off. Forshaw's also just coming back so it's a lot to ask him to do 90 mins every week at the moment.

We need to be clinical when we have teams on the ropes, or good quality players and coaches will find away to overcome us over 90 minutes.

Next three matches will speak volumes, I do feel like we've turned the corner with the improved performances and can see us getting some wins soon and also think we will batter somebody in the near future. If we can pick up some wins in the next three we'll then head into those matches against the top sides with confidence and momentum.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 pm Yeppers, agree Leon :tup:

Comes back to not being able, or willing, to continue the process of first team squad improvement in the summer.

We're counting on all our senior players being fit, in form and available when they never all are.
Unfortunately is the case mate.

Unless you are a Man City where you have quality to replace quality in every position, a club can't operate on such a small squad, we need back-up when injuries/suspensions/illness kicks in, sadly we haven't got it. The writing was on the wall at half-time, Spurs would improve & we were destined to tire with no options beyond our starting XI.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:28 pm Unfortunately is the case mate.

Unless you are a Man City where you have quality to replace quality in every position, a club can't operate on such a small squad, we need back-up when injuries/suspensions/illness kicks in, sadly we haven't got it. The writing was on the wall at half-time, Spurs would improve & we were destined to tire with no options beyond our starting XI.
Plus, Conte is wise enough to take advantage of the situation.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

White Riot wrote: Yeppers, agree Leon :tup:

Absolutely WR, it's been repeated over and over, too small a squad, lack of quality particularly on the bench, relying on players to play in un-natural positions, this will not work long term . Yes it got us promoted from a hoof ball league but it's not a recipe for long term success. I watched the BBC iPlayer series on the PL and it covered Blackburn winning it. Their owner Jack Walker didn't want to replace the players who'd won it but other staff members said to keep competing at this level certain players needed to be replaced with better ones but Walker stuck to his guns and don't forget he had serious money to afford better. The slide down the league inevitably happened and they went down not long after. We have players here from way before Bielsa arrived and he's performed miracles with them but even he should realise that you can't keep flogging a dead horse .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk