Indoor Bowls

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Indoor Bowls - Ladies Final at 1pm today (BBC2)

Post by 1964white »

I have an important triples match myself at 1pm, so I'll have to watch a recording when I return home.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 am I have an important triples match myself at 1pm, so I'll have to watch a recording when I return home.
I won’t put the score in here then 😁.

Good luck mate 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Indoor Bowls

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:01 am Interesting you think it will be close, the bookies have Rednall at 2/5 😳😳😳
Oooh bowls betting. Never bet on it before. Some inside info from you experts.
David Bryant the only bowling name I know.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:39 am Oooh bowls betting. Never bet on it before. Some inside info from you experts.
David Bryant the only bowling name I know.
Looks like you can only bet on a straight win, no correct scores etc.

Obviously, 2/5 isn’t very attractive though.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:55 am Looks like you can only bet on a straight win, no correct scores etc.

Obviously, 2/5 isn’t very attractive though.
No. That’s buying money. Very rarely enjoyable even if you win.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:02 pm No. That’s buying money. Very rarely enjoyable even if you win.
Yeah, I don’t mind a 4/6 or even 4/7, but 2/5 is no fun, especially when Mr ‘64 thinks it will be pretty close.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:04 pm Yeah, I don’t mind a 4/6 or even 4/7, but 2/5 is no fun, especially when Mr ‘64 thinks it will be pretty close.
Barney Curley the great punter said never back odds on or ew. I think he’s right on the odds on bit unless you know for a fact the bookies have it wrong.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

No bet for me but I expect Rednall to play much better today, maybe Forrest has peaked too early, who knows!
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 pm Barney Curley the great punter said never back odds on or ew. I think he’s right on the odds on bit unless you know for a fact the bookies have it wrong.
If I think it’s going to win, I’m not bothered if it’s odds on (I suppose that’s the same as thinking the bookies had it wrong).

Can’t remember which year it was now, but the bookies had it priced at just 10/11 that there would be more than a century of centuries at the World Snooker Championships. I lumped on, and it came in easily. I’ve also backed players to win matches at 4/6 on the snooker.

I don’t know why, perhaps because I have reasonable knowledge of the sport, but I find the snooker odds fairly reasonable.

Haven’t a clue about bowls though 😁
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:05 pm If I think it’s going to win, I’m not bothered if it’s odds on (I suppose that’s the same as thinking the bookies had it wrong).

Can’t remember which year it was now, but the bookies had it priced at just 10/11 that there would be more than a century of centuries at the World Snooker Championships. I lumped on, and it came in easily. I’ve also backed players to win matches at 4/6 on the snooker.

I don’t know why, perhaps because I have reasonable knowledge of the sport, but I find the snooker odds fairly reasonable.

Haven’t a clue about bowls though 😁
I think if you have good knowledge of a sport and follow it closely you can do well. Even at odds on.

I used to bet on the Masters golf 2 balls (with no tie).
I’d price up a few of interest myself and then see if the bookies agreed. It was Lee Janzen v Tony Johnstone. I thought Janzen was a certainty. Janzen loved Augusta and had a superb first round record whereas Johnstone was in terrible form and had never played there.
I had him as a 1/4 shot and the bookies said 8/11 so I had £1100 on. I bet big in those days but not any more though. I was single so no real harm done if I lost.
He won by 11 shots I think. Never in doubt from the first tee.
Easy money. They were the days :)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:17 pm I think if you have good knowledge of a sport and follow it closely you can do well. Even at odds on.

I’d price up a few of interest myself and then see if the bookies agreed. It was Lee Janzen v Tony Johnstone. I thought Janzen was a certainty. Janzen loved Augusta and had a superb first round record whereas Johnstone was in terrible form and had never played there.
I had him as a 1/4 shot and the bookies said 8/11 so I had £1100 on. I bet big in those days but not any more though. I was single so no real harm done if I lost.
I do that with the handicap on the rugby league games, although generally I tend to agree with the bookies so not that much gained but occasionally I do think they are way off and will have a punt.

Again, not a clue about golf. As you say, it’s what you know I suppose.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:23 pm I do that with the handicap on the rugby league games, although generally I tend to agree with the bookies so not that much gained but occasionally I do think they are way off and will have a punt.

Again, not a clue about golf. As you say, it’s what you know I suppose.
Yeah you have to do that to form a proper opinion of the odds. If an 8/11 shot is 1/4 then no value. Other way round get the wedge on.

Mind you the B365 bird earnt 223 million£ last year. Plus a bonus dividend/share package. She has a CBE too. Like Paula Vennells she should probably give it back. But how much tax does she pay? Of course, hence the CBE.
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:17 pm I think if you have good knowledge of a sport and follow it closely you can do well. Even at odds on.

£1,100 😮 I would be an absolute basket case if I stuck that on any sport, £10 on 4 teams on a Saturday is my level. My form against the bookies has been very good over the seasons but I don’t just lump it on without checking form & odds etc. If I win happy days if I don’t I won’t miss the tenner.
Keeping The Faith
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:40 pm £1,100 😮 I would be an absolute basket case if I stuck that on any sport, £10 on 4 teams on a Saturday is my level. My form against the bookies has been very good over the seasons but I don’t just lump it on without checking form & odds etc. If I win happy days if I don’t I won’t miss the tenner.
Long time ago Cussie. Like I said I was single, decent job but I didn’t do it often. Just when things aligned. And obviously I didn’t always win. Was way ahead on golf though. Backed YE Yang at 319/1 on Betfair to win the USPGA in golf. Cleared 6k after some serious hedging.
Was in London at the time and used to go to the Walthamstow dogs most Saturdays. Had £20 on a 50/1 winner. At the dogs! The bookie wasn’t happy 😂
But I was an anorak for the form book and that dog was improving and the bookies underestimated him.
Don’t bet much now tbh.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:40 pm £1,100 😮 I would be an absolute basket case if I stuck that on any sport, £10 on 4 teams on a Saturday is my level. My form against the bookies has been very good over the seasons but I don’t just lump it on without checking form & odds etc. If I win happy days if I don’t I won’t miss the tenner.
IMG_8400.jpeg
Last years Open. £1200 I think in the end.
The Mrs was hovering over me “oooh I like this top from Marks and these boots from ….” Bloody hell I’ve not got the money in my account yet 😂
ShaunL
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by ShaunL »

I like to go for draws in the football.
I’ll pick either when 2 top teams are playing each other
Or when it’s a local derby or when the home team is between 6 to 12 places lower on the ladder
than the opposition.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

If you know who wins the WC with Uruguay in a couple of years I know someone on here who’ll be going to the bookies in an armoured van. Load it up boys. Isn’t that right Kenny 💰
ShaunL
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by ShaunL »

D0FFFF1D-44EE-4592-9C24-B11B8831B389.png
One of my better wins. Few and far between though.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

ShaunL wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 pm D0FFFF1D-44EE-4592-9C24-B11B8831B389.png

Nice one Shaun 👍🏼
Did you treat yourself? I always get a case of decent wine and the girls always get some clothes money.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

ShaunL wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 pm D0FFFF1D-44EE-4592-9C24-B11B8831B389.png

Any criteria for your draw choices btw?