Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - James up front with Rodrigo at ten

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - James up front with Rodrigo at ten

Post by Ellandback1 »

Wednesday 9th February 20:00pm | Villa Park

Leeds are looking to return to winning ways on Wednesday evening as they prepare to battle Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa. After a dire performance against Newcastle Utd just before the International break, the gap between Leeds and the bottom three has narrowed to just seven points. They will be hoping they can perform the same kind of heroics, as last season when an injury plagued team without Phillips, Llorente and Cooper recorded an unlikely 3-0 away win, courtesy of a Patrick Bamford hat-trick. Unfortunately, this time around, Leeds are likely to be without their goal scoring talisman as well.

Bamford has not started a competitive game since the 1-1 draw at St James Park in September, and Leeds will be keen to reintroduce him to action gradually. Dan Jmaes will start up front with Rodrigo at 10. There is good news on the injury front though, with quartet Jamie Shackleton, Adam Forshaw, Crysencio Summerville and Charlie Cresswell all fit again. Junior Firpo remains out though is close to a return. Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips have resumed training and could be avaialble for selection later this month. Raphinha has returned from International duty in fine form. He opened the scoring against Paraguay, and tormented them for 80 mins.

Villa have had a busy transfer window, adding Philippe Coutinho, Lucas Digne and Robin Olsen to their squad in the hope of a top half finish come May. Philippe Coutinho can become the first player to score in both of his first two Villa Premier League home appearances since Carlton Cole in August 2004. Bertrand Traore is unlikely to be involved for Aston Villa, having only concluded his Africa Cup of Nations campaign with Burkina Faso on Saturday. Leon Bailey is back in full training but won't be risked, while Trezeguet has joined Istanbul Basaksehir on loan.

This is Leeds' 4,000th league match. The last four teams to reach this milestone as a Premier League side have lost their 4000th game. Leeds, who triumphed 3-0 at Villa Park last season, can earn three consecutive away league wins against Villa for the first time whilst Villa have won only three of the past 15 league meetings between the two sides. Aston Villa are one of three teams to have scored in all of their Premier League home fixtures this season, alongside Liverpool and West Ham. The Whites have only conceded once in open play in three Premier League games in 2022.

Stream the game liva via a NordVPN with our dicounted rate...

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Struijk
Dallas
Koch
Raphinha
Forshaw
James
Klich
Harrison
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:43 am Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Struijk
Dallas
Koch
Raphinha
Forshaw
James
Klich
Harrison
Same team :tup:
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

e: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

cant understand starting James upfront he is to small and is not a natural goalscorer.
1964white

Re: e: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 pm cant understand starting James upfront he is to small and is not a natural goalscorer.
I'd go with Gelhardt, however Marcelo obviously sees it differently.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Footballers have more time off than Harry & Meghan. Going out of the FA early every year has its benefits...No excuses!

Phillippe Coutinho already scares the life out of me. Just the type of player we needed and he chooses Villa, i mean come on Raph tell him how special the fans are... even if we are skint.

I don't know who's fit or not i have not been paying much attention but it will come down to the same things as always. Can and will we be clinical in front of goal.

I like Villa decent club with a big support but not really done anything since 1996 have they..... :shhh: :)
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Do Villa play two up front or one? That will decide our defensive shape/personnel.

Koch, Llorente, Struijk, with Ayling and Dallas as wing-backs if up against two forwards.

I'd still play Koch and Forshaw together in midfield even if we start with a back four. My team would be:

Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Struijk
Dallas
Koch
Forshaw
Klich
Raphinha
James
Gelhardt or Rodrigo
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Please not James as a 9 but I think the manager will do just that.

Unfortunately not expecting anything from the game, more hope than expectation.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Villa have picked up a bit since Gerrard took over.

Some decent performances vs Manure and Brighton.

Lucky to beat Everton and Palace as I think a draw would have been far more fair.

Clearly have a stronger squad than us though and far more depth and are capable of causing us problems especially this season where we have been pretty woeful .

I think we need to start fast and press them hard, take them by surprise.

Get Raph in full flow early because he could easily be the difference and Villa have nobody close to his level.

Coutinho hasn't been for years.

Buendia has never got close.

Start fast and Raph is the key
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

More hope than expectation for me too Vinny but it was the same when we played West Ham in the league a couple of weeks ago and look what happened there. A similar result would be fantastic, a draw would be good. Come on Leeds!
Overman
Manager
Manager

Re: e: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Overman »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 pm cant understand starting James upfront he is to small and is not a natural goalscorer.
It's MB's strange attachment with wingers and plus strikers are so yesterday.
William
First Team
First Team

Post by William »

We were lauding James for the shift he put in against WH a few weeks back so expect more of the same.
If we are chasing a late goal we have Joffy to turn to
Marsch OUT

Football has undergone a process of bielsification; pressing and possessing, passing rather than dribbling, intercepting high up the field rather than making last-ditch tackles, are in vogue.

Marcelo Bielsa. The light that will never go out.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

William wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:13 pm We were lauding James for the shift he put in against WH a few weeks back so expect more of the same.
If we are chasing a late goal we have Joffy to turn to
Problem is only so long putting a shift in can excuse him.

He should have had a few vs Newcastle, it cost us 3 points.

He hasn't scored or created anywhere near enough this season and needs to do a hell of a lot more than run around to justify his price tag.

Hopefully he starts tonight because it's one of Bielsa's most annoying obsessions.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Still 4 hours to kick off and my stress headache has already started....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:44 pm Still 4 hours to kick off and my stress headache has already started....
A couple of paracetamols should ease the head until at least kick-off, Chilli.
hector

Post by hector »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:44 pm Still 4 hours to kick off and my stress headache has already started....
Take note of your username mate.... Chill.....

no point in stressing over something that you have no input into, or something that you cannot change...

Have a couple of scoops and relax a bit.....
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'll be on the wine early.... :shock: sooth my nerves
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:12 pm I'll be on the wine early.... :shock: sooth my nerves
As if you needed an excuse :roll: :roll:

:)
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:12 pm I'll be on the wine early.... :shock: sooth my nerves
By early do you mean .......... last month??

:) :) :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:14 pm As if you needed an excuse :roll: :roll:

:)
I was waiting for ya :lol: