Golf Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Golf Thread - The Masters

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:10 pm Yeah my dad & brother went and said it’s unbelievable how hilly it is. A tough walk without the golf.
Lee Trevino hated it. Said it was a tricked up course.
Don’t agree with him mind you as it’s a great test with a history of great champions.
Still don’t believe a LIV player will ever win it. Comes after 8 months of totally non competitive golf for them. Players like Rahm need to realise that if they ever want to be considered a great of the game they need to get back on the proper tour.
Totally agree re. LIV Jay. And they have the nerve to expect to get world ranking points for playing basically exhibition golf.

Rahm's attitude was typical of that approach - he grumbled and moaned on Saturday saying they shouldn't have even been out there in that wind. Then you watched Tiger, broken body and all, steady himself against blowing sand on the 18th green and sink a 5 footer for par.

Its ironic that the very people who caused the fracturing in world golf are now calling for unity. I've always disliked Greg Norman. He was a great player but he always thought he was bigger than the sport - which the greats never have - they're grateful for what the game gave them. He has had it in for the PGA Tour ever since they turned down his approach with his buddy Rupert Murdoch for a world tour back in the '90's.
Now he's strutting around like he's some kind of genius - nothing to do with talent - it's just Saudi sport-washing money. Its very distasteful. I really dislike seeing these players in the majors with their tacky little logos and childish team names. :rant:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 pm Totally agree re. LIV Jay. And they have the nerve to expect to get world ranking points for playing basically exhibition golf.

Rahm's attitude was typical of that approach - he grumbled and moaned on Saturday saying they shouldn't have even been out there in that wind. Then you watched Tiger, broken body and all, steady himself against blowing sand on the 18th green and sink a 5 footer for par.

Its ironic that the very people who caused the fracturing in world golf are now calling for unity. I've always disliked Greg Norman. He was a great player but he always thought he was bigger than the sport - which the greats never have - they're grateful for what the game gave them. He has had it in for the PGA Tour ever since they turned down his approach with his buddy Rupert Murdoch for a world tour back in the '90's.
Now he's strutting around like he's some kind of genius - nothing to do with talent - it's just Saudi sport-washing money. Its very distasteful. I really dislike seeing these players in the majors with their tacky little logos and childish team names. :rant:
Don’t like Rahm. Never have. And what would Seve say about his behaviour.
Nobody could argue Tiger doesn’t give it everything. He has always had a great attitude not just the obvious talent.
Not a fan of Norman either. Probably still the most brutal thing I’ve ever seen in golf, probably in sport tbh when he was dissected by Faldo.
Faldo literally ate him alive. Gradually picked the Norman carcass till there was nothing left 😂
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:40 pm Don’t like Rahm. Never have. And what would Seve say about his behaviour.
Nobody could argue Tiger doesn’t give it everything. He has always had a great attitude not just the obvious talent.
Not a fan of Norman either. Probably still the most brutal thing I’ve ever seen in golf, probably in sport tbh when he was dissected by Faldo.
Faldo literally ate him alive. Gradually picked the Norman carcass till there was nothing left 😂
Remember it well, Faldo just did what he did best fairways, greens and Norman just folded. Faldo had his number😂😂😂
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 pm Remember it well, Faldo just did what he did best fairways, greens and Norman just folded. Faldo had his number😂😂😂
Larry Mize chip in.
Jesus that course hated Norman 😁
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:53 pm Larry Mize chip in.
Jesus that course hated Norman 😁
Yes, I remember that - and it wasn't the only time Norman choked - just the most high-profile one. I think, deep down that's likely his hate for the PGA Tour.

Faldo, like guys like Trevino, Palmer, Player, Nicklaus, etc. also has a big personality, but they have all remained subservient to the game itself. I really miss Faldo commentating - he's brilliant - not just his knowledge of the game and the swing, but his humour too.

If I look at most of the guys who have gone to LIV, they are all either those who are past their best and wouldn't win again on the tour - e.g. Casey, Schwartzel, Oosthuizen, Stenson, etc. I don't blame them for taking the money and running.
But its the guys like Mickelson, Rahm, Reed (what a w**ker), Smith, etc. that I have an issue with. Mickelson is a giant dick - - no wonder his nickname on tour is FIGJAM (F*** I'm Good, Just Ask Me).

Rahm in particular just gets me - he was the one who came out initially and said - "I have made more money than I will ever be able to spend for me and my family - I won't go to LIV." But clearly his values had a price - just a bit higher than he was initially offered apparently!
I don't miss watching any of them.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 pm Yes, I remember that - and it wasn't the only time Norman choked - just the most high-profile one. I think, deep down that's likely his hate for the PGA Tour.

Faldo, like guys like Trevino, Palmer, Player, Nicklaus, etc. also has a big personality, but they have all remained subservient to the game itself. I really miss Faldo commentating - he's brilliant - not just his knowledge of the game and the swing, but his humour too.

If I look at most of the guys who have gone to LIV, they are all either those who are past their best and wouldn't win again on the tour - e.g. Casey, Schwartzel, Oosthuizen, Stenson, etc. I don't blame them for taking the money and running.
But its the guys like Mickelson, Rahm, Reed (what a w**ker), Smith, etc. that I have an issue with. Mickelson is a giant dick - - no wonder his nickname on tour is FIGJAM (F*** I'm Good, Just Ask Me).

Rahm in particular just gets me - he was the one who came out initially and said - "I have made more money than I will ever be able to spend for me and my family - I won't go to LIV." But clearly his values had a price - just a bit higher than he was initially offered apparently!
I don't miss watching any of them.
IMG_8987.jpeg
WHAT THE F… WOULD SEVE SAY.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

malcolmw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:06 pm Jordan is a great player but never showed the king of consistent dominance were seeing from Scottie right now.
He's not just on a hot streak like other players - Spieth, Smith, even Rahm. He is just head and shoulders (not just literally) above everyone else every week.
Check your facts mate and look at Spieth’s record for 2015/16 four majors, at least one 2nd place and very close on other occasions, also won some top PGA events. Look at his game stats also - He was the dominant force by a long stretch during that period.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm Check your facts mate and look at Spieth’s record for 2015/16 four majors, at least one 2nd place and very close on other occasions, also won some top PGA events. Look at his game stats also - He was the dominant force by a long stretch during that period.
Yes, I know all that. But he was really only dominant for those two season. I wouldn't say he was dominant "by a long stretch". Rory and even Jason Day were equally as strong about then, no? No mistake he played amazing golf throughout that period.

But no-one ever talked about Jordan as been potentially as dominant as Tiger in his day. They (his fellow PGA pro's) are saying that about Scottie.
He is already number 6 in terms of total weeks at number 1 in the world - 83 weeks - behind only Tiger, Norman, Dustin, Rory and Faldo. Spieth spent 26 weeks at #1.
I suppose there is an argument that had Rahm not gone to LIV last year, he may have stayed at #1 a bit longer - but I sort of doubt it - he - like Jordan - can have some attitude issues when he isn't playing well. Scottie is the first guy in a while - likely since Tiger - who seems to have the mental fortitude his peers around him lack. We'll see I guess.

I would also certainly put money on him surpassing Jordan's 3 majors.

I like Jordan - same as Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas - just seem like good blokes. I do hope he gets his mojo back and gets on a run again.

But unless being a dad changes his focus, its hard to see anyone toppling Scottie for the next week. Maybe Aberg??
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm IMG_8987.jpeg

WHAT THE F… WOULD SEVE SAY.
Yeah - total about face from 6 months earlier. Straight out of the Greg Norman, Donald Trump school of golf.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 am Yes, I know all that. But he was really only dominant for those two season. I wouldn't say he was dominant "by a long stretch". Rory and even Jason Day were equally as strong about then, no? No mistake he played amazing golf throughout that period.

But no-one ever talked about Jordan as been potentially as dominant as Tiger in his day. They (his fellow PGA pro's) are saying that about Scottie.
He is already number 6 in terms of total weeks at number 1 in the world - 83 weeks - behind only Tiger, Norman, Dustin, Rory and Faldo. Spieth spent 26 weeks at #1.
I suppose there is an argument that had Rahm not gone to LIV last year, he may have stayed at #1 a bit longer - but I sort of doubt it - he - like Jordan - can have some attitude issues when he isn't playing well. Scottie is the first guy in a while - likely since Tiger - who seems to have the mental fortitude his peers around him lack. We'll see I guess.

I would also certainly put money on him surpassing Jordan's 3 majors.

I like Jordan - same as Rickie Fowler and Justin Thomas - just seem like good blokes. I do hope he gets his mojo back and gets on a run again.

But unless being a dad changes his focus, its hard to see anyone toppling Scottie for the next week. Maybe Aberg??
I think Scheffler/Aberg could be the next big rivalry in golf similar to Woods/Mickleson but without any hostility. They're both too mild mannered for any of that nonsense.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Scheffler hasn’t won another major bar the Masters. Yet. Tiger comparison talk is way off atm.
I agree Aberg has the talent & attitude to challenge him. His 2nd place finish after the double at 11 was impressive. He could do a Spieth and win next year.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I am not overly concerned about ranking. A lot of the time like in other sports it is testimony to earning points, which can be inflated by the number of tournaments a player enters. It is a decent guide to form. McIroy has been in the top 5 pretty much for years and hasn’t won a major for near on 10 years ?
Most players value Majors more than ranking status and gear their game towards such events. Let us see how Scheffler does at the Open “The proper one over here 😉” before suggesting his dominance. I know links golf is a different kettle of fish, but it is a true test of ability for me.
No one has got near Tiger for me in the last 20 years. At the top of his game he was simply a completely different level to Scheffler for me.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Do any of you watch the women's golf? I do when Sky cover it.
It's their first major this weekend, the Chevron Championship, and Nelly Korda is bidding to win her fifth consecutive LPGA event, a feat that has only been achieved twice before in history.
She is the female equivalent of Scheffler, always there or thereabouts on the final day.
English player and world ranked no7 Charley Hull will be looking to win her first major.
Lottie Woad, the 20 year old amateur from England, who won the amateur championship at Augusta National the week before the Masters, will also be competing.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:07 pm I am not overly concerned about ranking. A lot of the time like in other sports it is testimony to earning points, which can be inflated by the number of tournaments a player enters. It is a decent guide to form. McIroy has been in the top 5 pretty much for years and hasn’t won a major for near on 10 years ?
Most players value Majors more than ranking status and gear their game towards such events. Let us see how Scheffler does at the Open “The proper one over here 😉” before suggesting his dominance. I know links golf is a different kettle of fish, but it is a true test of ability for me.
No one has got near Tiger for me in the last 20 years. At the top of his game he was simply a completely different level to Scheffler for me.
Far too premature and tbh laughable to compare him to Woods. His dominance was far greater over a very long period. I’m not sure Scheffler has a finish of note in our Open yet 🤔
As big Jack who is simply the greatest ever to pick up a golf club said
“If you’re going to be a player people will remember, you have to win the Open at St. Andrews”.
I’d just say win an Open tbh.
Oh and don’t forget Woods won all four majors in a row. Not in the same season but he is on a short list of 1 person to ever achieve it.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Also Tiger & Jack are the only 2 to win each of the four majors at least 3 times.
Scheffler as good as Woods my arse.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

The one thing I would say about Tiger is he was the first player to hit monster drives with an all round amazing game. Daly could on his day be a force.
Back then tee to green was shorter on many Major championship courses that have now have added yardage, particularly on the par 5’s. I remember many occasion when he would play a short to mid iron for his approach on a par 5 when others were playing a 2 iron. It did at the time - because his tee to green regulation play was so high, - provide a significant advantage over many competitors. These days long off the Tee is a big part of most players games. Faldo in this day and age with the way courses are set up for majors would struggle.
As a result you won’t see many players battling for top honours who are over 40 yrs these days.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm Far too premature and tbh laughable to compare him to Woods. His dominance was far greater over a very long period. I’m not sure Scheffler has a finish of note in our Open yet 🤔
As big Jack who is simply the greatest ever to pick up a golf club said
“If you’re going to be a player people will remember, you have to win the Open at St. Andrews”.
I’d just say win an Open tbh.
Oh and don’t forget Woods won all four majors in a row. Not in the same season but he is on a short list of 1 person to ever achieve it.
The comparison to Tiger is simply a matter of the players saying it hasn't been since the Tiger era that they've seen a player dominate the field pretty much every time he tees it up.

Nobody is saying his accomplishments are comparable to Tiger - only one or two players in history are at that level.

But right now, he is the stand out player in the world - by a long shot.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm Do any of you watch the women's golf? I do when Sky cover it.
It's their first major this weekend, the Chevron Championship, and Nelly Korda is bidding to win her fifth consecutive LPGA event, a feat that has only been achieved twice before in history.
She is the female equivalent of Scheffler, always there or thereabouts on the final day.
English player and world ranked no7 Charley Hull will be looking to win her first major.
Lottie Woad, the 20 year old amateur from England, who won the amateur championship at Augusta National the week before the Masters, will also be competing.
Agree Chilli - women's golf is great to watch, and Nellie's performance of late has been incredible. She has won from the front and has also won coming from behind.
Her win at the women's matchplay last weekend was a good example. Poor Leona Maguire never had a chance in the final - although she did keep fighting. She could be a factor this week.
I'm looking forward to the first major this weekend. I find it more relatable frankly - us weekend hackers cant really identify with how the guys are hitting wedges 160 yards and driver wedge into a 600 yard par 5!. Mind you golfers like Nellie are smoking their drivers over 270 at times - pretty amazing. My favourite player on the tour is Lydia Ko. Love her swing and her humble approach.

BTW - that golf course where they played the women's matchplay in Las Vegas will cost you $1,200 for a round. Just mentioning that in case anyone is planning a golf weekend :roflmao: We have rellies down there and they were saying its now even more expensive than the course virtually on The Strip at Wynn.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 pm The comparison to Tiger is simply a matter of the players saying it hasn't been since the Tiger era that they've seen a player dominate the field pretty much every time he tees it up.

Nobody is saying his accomplishments are comparable to Tiger - only one or two players in history are at that level.

But right now, he is the stand out player in the world - by a long shot.
I think they are hyping him way too much on the tv/Sky. Just let it happen.
But there’s no way he’ll emulate Woods. We’ll see.
He needs to win the other 3 first then the conversation can start.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm Agree Chilli - women's golf is great to watch, and Nellie's performance of late has been incredible. She has won from the front and has also won coming from behind.
Her win at the women's matchplay last weekend was a good example. Poor Leona Maguire never had a chance in the final - although she did keep fighting. She could be a factor this week.
I'm looking forward to the first major this weekend. I find it more relatable frankly - us weekend hackers cant really identify with how the guys are hitting wedges 160 yards and driver wedge into a 600 yard par 5!. Mind you golfers like Nellie are smoking their drivers over 270 at times - pretty amazing. My favourite player on the tour is Lydia Ko. Love her swing and her humble approach.

BTW - that golf course where they played the women's matchplay in Las Vegas will cost you $1,200 for a round. Just mentioning that in case anyone is planning a golf weekend :roflmao: We have rellies down there and they were saying its now even more expensive than the course virtually on The Strip at Wynn.
Think I mentioned before once but me and a mate were on the coast road from SF to Carmel (was that Clint’s place) and dropped in at Pebble. We had no clubs and the total hire & green fee was a lot but I deeply regret not playing.