Mateo Joseph Fernandez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Re: Let's not forget: we have Mateo Joseph Fernandez

Post by Lumiukko »

If they're good enough, they're old enough. Only the coaching teams and senior players be able to assess that, not us armchair managers on the forum. It didn't harm Everton with Rooney, or Liverpool with Owen (taking aside the latter probably had an injury filled career as a result, but he was s**t hot when he came into the first team).
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cracking prospect. But probably 2 years from first team. That's fine. We've got 4 strikers in the 1st team squad now. And, given his experience, I'd say Sonny Perkins is more likely to make the 1st team ahead of him.

Hopefully Joseph continues his development and we'll have a fine striker in a year or two.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Mateo Joseph Fernandez

Post by Cjay »

Training with the first team apparently.

18 year old Striker signed from Espanyol.

British parents but born in Spain.

5 goals in 3 games for the u21s this season in the 2nd division of u21 football.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Mateo Joseph Fernandez

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:27 pm Training with the first team apparently
Is that something new? Would be interesting if Marsch sees him as a possibility for the bench.

Personally, I wasn't expecting much from him this season. Outside of the 1st team squad, we've just signed Gnonto. Then I think Perkins is next at No. 9. Granted, Joseph plays 9 in the 21's and Perkins in an attacking midfield role. But with Perkins advanced experience, I think he'd be more likely to get the call up in a striker crisis.

I think we have a cracking prospect in Joseph. But my thought is that we won't see him getting a sniff of the bench until next season.
Last edited by andrewjohnsmith on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

What did I tell you? He is now training with the first team: https://motleedsnews.com/players/leeds- ... -gelhardt/
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

What was wrong with putting this info on the thread I started last week? https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 00#p996300
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Third thread on Joseph, there maybe another one lurking somewhere :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 am Third thread on Joseph, there maybe another one lurking somewhere :lol:
Time for the merge king to get into action??

:) :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:11 am Time for the merge king to get into action??

:) :)
Done :lol:

I'm sure I started a Joseph thread, but I'm struggling to locate it.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:24 am What was wrong with putting this info on the thread I started last week? https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 00#p996300
Didn't know it existed.

My apologies
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I'd loan him out to League One side in January and see how he gets on, or maybe La Liga 2. No point keeping him in u21s if he's too good for that level.
Last edited by SG90 on Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:55 am Didn't know it existed.

My apologies
Lol doesn't matter: there was one before mine and they have all been merged. Teach me to gob-off when I didn't look for another either :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Would imagine it was a straightforward decision with Rodrigo being injured they just pick the highest rated option on our list of strikers to come into training. Hopefully Gnonto will be training with the first team squad, would be farcical if he isn't.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Give him and Perkins a couple of 20mins cameo's between them you just never know they may hit the ground running like Smith did. We need goals and they seem to be scoring plenty at the minute. Leave Greenwood on the bench and throw one of these kids on instead....
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Hope the kid doesn't miss out on the individual development training the young uns get now that he is training with the adults.

It can actually hinder a players trajectory.

You need to be truly exceptional to break through at his age
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:53 pm Hope the kid doesn't miss out on the individual development training the young uns get now that he is training with the adults.

It can actually hinder a players trajectory.

You need to be truly exceptional to break through at his age
As with most sports, you need the breaks, sometimes literally
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Got a mention as next man up from Marsch today . . . .we know what that means :)

Welcome our new striker
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I've no issue with him being given an opportunity, can't be any worse than bamford, has pace has youth, will only get experience by laking, hope he takes his chance.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:09 pm I've no issue with him being given an opportunity, can't be any worse than bamford, has pace has youth, will only get experience by laking, hope he takes his chance.
Was being sarky.

I like the look of him and wouldn't be against a few sub appearances (much easier now with 5 subs).

But not at the expense of signing a senior striker.

That is a must
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:12 pm Was being sarky.

I like the look of him and wouldn't be against a few sub appearances (much easier now with 5 subs).

But not at the expense of signing a senior striker.

That is a must
Oh I know you weren't having a go, just adding my bit as well.
I like the look of the kid so far , very talented, like Perkins, can he take the next step up, let's hope so because I doubt very much we'll be buying another striker this window.
Scores for fun in the U21's, but so did JG & SG, massive leap forward, but he's hoping :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"