Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Post by WhiteRose »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:33 pm Under the circumstances, with a heavily biased ref, a point is ok. But even with 11 men, I couldn't see us scoring. Two poor sides who lack creativity. Our 5 subs being Ayling, Klich, Firpo, Bamford and Summerville says it all really. No game changers to bring off. It's a poor squad, but we're always playing for 17th at best with these owners.
Thought the bench looked stronger than it has in a very long time - got an Italian international on it and bamford and klich are decent options. It’s not a poor squad. Bad performance today but it happens especially after an extended break and we played half the game with 10 men so can’t expect much more from that one than a point.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Good to see Marsch highlighting Villa’s pathetic time-wasting in his interview.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm Thought the bench looked stronger than it has in a very long time - got an Italian international on it and bamford and klich are decent options. It’s not a poor squad. Bad performance today but it happens especially after an extended break and we played half the game with 10 men so can’t expect much more from that one than a point.
Klich is too slow for this level, you saw him jogging back regularly as they broke with pace. The problem is we have no direct replacement for Aaronson, we miss his energy and zip.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm Thought the bench looked stronger than it has in a very long time - got an Italian international on it and bamford and klich are decent options. It’s not a poor squad. Bad performance today but it happens especially after an extended break and we played half the game with 10 men so can’t expect much more from that one than a point.
Experience doesn't = a strong bench imo. We don't really have any game changers to knick a goal, even with 11. Think we need a creative midfielder and Joffy on there and I'd say it was strong.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

So Willy or Jimmy next week? Willy for me, Summerville hasn't looked up to this level yet.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

First of all i would like to thank Stevie G and his merry bunch of useless players. Its difficult to think of another side who wouldn't have made their advantage count seeing tho we were playing so badly. Villa were piss poor.....! Definatley two steps backwards to the end of last season for me that from us. Jesse always bangs on about the players needing time to get used to his methods but its difficult to see what they have been doing in the break? The fact we have seen out the game for a draw glosses over the cracks. God that was rubbish. Lets pretend it was jetlag and that we were the only team to release any players for pointless int friendlies.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:04 pm Experience doesn't = a strong bench imo. We don't really have any game changers to knick a goal, even with 11. Think we need a creative midfielder and Joffy on there and I'd say it was strong.
I agree with the midfielder we haven’t had a decent creative midfielder since Hernandez left. But overall we should have a good enough squad for a 10th to 14th finish - got a decent base to build on now which I couldn’t have said last season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Joffy wasn't injured Marsch said, Gnonto was picked over him. I'd have had both and dropped Greenwood.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:15 pm I agree with the midfielder we haven’t had a decent creative midfielder since Hernandez left. But overall we should have a good enough squad for a 10th to 14th finish - got a decent base to build on now which I couldn’t have said last season.
I don't think we do. The worry is that we've stopped playing since Chelski. That was 7 weeks ago now, we can't still be overcelebrating it?
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:17 pm I don't think we do. The worry is that we've stopped playing since Chelski. That was 7 weeks ago now, we can't still be overcelebrating it?
I hope you’re wrong but we shall see - had we played forest as we should of done we could be on 12 points now that would put us 6th
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:24 pm I hope you’re wrong but we shall see - had we played forest as we should of done we could be on 12 points now that would put us 6th
I don't think we would have beat Forest tbh. We struggled v Everton and Villa and Forest would've played the same way.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

TWO POSITIVES - TWO NEGATIVES

Positives

1) When we went down to 10 men, we changed our tactics and went 5 at the back and defended well, and kept Villa quiet.

2)We won more than our fair share of headers. We're far better in the air than last season

Negatives

1) We can't tackle.

2) The amount of free kicks we gave any, we deserved to get punished
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Anyone tuning into motd2 for the highlights. If the show is on for an hour skip the first 55mins.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 pm I imagine Paddy will be starting after that. It’s obvious he brings a lot more than goals. Nothing against Rodders
Good to have Paddy back. Shows a lot more than Rod. Be nice to have him starting again.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:33 pm Under the circumstances, with a heavily biased ref, a point is ok. But even with 11 men, I couldn't see us scoring. Two poor sides who lack creativity. Our 5 subs being Ayling, Klich, Firpo, Bamford and Summerville says it all really. No game changers to bring off. It's a poor squad, but we're always playing for 17th at best with these owners.
We had 11 men for 48 minutes and couldn't put a shot on target
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

DDB220 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:33 pm Ok a few headers not well placed - but he was solid as f**k otherwise, but no mention of that ??. Regardless of the Cooper bashers he is the most important player on the pitch. Good Leadership should never be underestimated and he excels at that. We were pretty decent defensively all things considered.

Harrison frustrated me again - he gives the ball away far too cheaply and too often.

Scrappy game to say the least. Tough game to ref. Coming away with a point was a good result having gone down to 10 men.
Full credit to Cooper. First league start since ... (when was it?) He was rusty but solid. The whole defence - Rasmus, Koch, Strujik, Roca - is better when he plays. His leadership skills should not be underestimated.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:40 pm We had 11 men for 48 minutes and couldn't put a shot on target
My point exactly.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:38 pm He did OK.

For Firpo that is massively improved :)
Based on current players, I think we'll be better with Fripo at left back. Jury still out on him. But would be nice to see round pegs in round holes.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:43 pm It was daft from Sini, but the ref set the tone in the first half letting Villa get away with murder while every time we touched them it was a foul.
I think that's it. Our yellows were justified. But when you see the other team getting away with stuff ... that's a different story. Can also lead to a lot of frustration. That said, we should be more professional than that and smarter in our own gamesmanship.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:43 pm We’re definitely a top 20 side. I’ve no doubt about that
So you're saying we'd beat anyone in the Championship?