Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Cooper returns to starting XI

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:22 pm He was caught out 3 times in the short time he was on the pitch. There's a reason we spent £10m on a RB, although Rasmus has yet to live up to that tag.
Rasmas did OK today & is our future. Ayling will be an able deputy when he is match-fit again.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:56 pm Good interception from Firpo, then a crazy pass to the Villa midfielders to put us under pressure again.

To be fair, the majority of our team was conceding possession cheaply all afternoon.
I wonder how much of that is down to the long lay off. Or if it's just that our players are technically not good enough. I heard someone comparing our quality to Citeh earlier. We'll never be that. But we need to be a lot better in possession than we were today.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:18 pm All those on here clamouring for Ayling to start ahead of Kristensen.

Well Luke was labouring & didn't look match-fit today, he's not the quickest, but he appeared a yard short of pace, consequently got outdone a few times.
Well I was only clamoring for Ayling to start if he was match fit. Coming on with a Phantom mask doesn't bode well. Luke at his best offers more going forward. Rasmus will probably have RB locked in by the time Bill is fully fit again.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:44 pm I wonder how much of that is down to the long lay off. Or if it's just that our players are technically not good enough. I heard someone comparing our quality to Citeh earlier. We'll never be that. But we need to be a lot better in possession than we were today.
You certainly can't play like Citeh on the cheap. Let's face it, the true current model is the Burnley model. Do it on the cheap and hope to finish 17th. I know fans won't like being more defensive, but if keeps us up under the current ownership, then it'll do.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:51 pm Feel he was off the mark a little on that and has other issues to focus on.

There was one incident in the first half that Attwell gave a warning for. But didn't see much to complain about other than that. At least not beyond what's normal.
Villa are notorious for general time-wasting, feigning injury, diving to con free-kicks at every opportunity. A horrible bunch of cheating twats.

Marsch called them out publicly in a way that could not be deemed punishable by the FA, but still raised the issue. If enough people highlight it, maybe referees will have to start to recognise it on the park. They certainly won’t if nobody mentions it.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:55 pm Villa are notorious for general time-wasting, feigning injury, diving to con free-kicks at every opportunity. A horrible bunch of cheating twats.

Marsch called them out publicly in a way that could not be deemed punishable by the FA, but still raised the issue. If enough people highlight it, maybe referees will have to start to recognise it on the park. They certainly won’t if nobody mentions it.
He could call him out in private - straight to the FA. They do review every referee performance and attempt to improve the overall consistency of officiating. Calling him out publicly just makes Leeds a marked team next time around.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 pm You certainly can't play like Citeh on the cheap. Let's face it, the true current model is the Burnley model. Do it on the cheap and hope to finish 17th. I know fans won't like being more defensive, but if keeps us up under the current ownership, then it'll do.
Brighton have shown you can play attractive attacking football on a budget.

If your recruiting is good it is possible.

I don't think a cheaper budget is an excuse for crap football (not that I am saying we play crap dull football).

Agree on the model though.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:04 pm Brighton have shown you can play attractive attacking football on a budget.

If your recruiting is good it is possible.

I don't think a cheaper budget is an excuse for crap football (not that I am saying we play crap dull football).

Agree on the model though.
Brighton have spent a lot of money and lose around £60m a season. They're another myth like Leicester. Even Kieran Maguire (Brighton fan) wouldn't call their model a good one.

I don't think we play Dycheball or anything. But last season showed we can't play this gung ho football every week if we want to stay up. There's no problem going defensive if we need to get pick up points. Problem is fans moan, but would they rather lose 6-0 every week?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:08 pm Brighton have spent a lot of money and lose around £60m a season. They're another myth like Leicester. Even Kieran Maguire (Brighton fan) wouldn't call their model a good one.

I don't think we play Dycheball or anything. But last season showed we can't play this gung ho football every week if we want to stay up. There's no problem going defensive if we need to get pick up points. Problem is fans moan, but would they rather lose 6-0 every week?
You're right, just realised I have tried to defend a club who I've called out as a sugardaddy club in the past.

My mistake :lol:

We are more a Southampton I'd say (certainly a more recent Southampton, think the old owner funded them).

I think you can certainly play decent attacking passing football with a possession based style on a budget.

Doesn't have to be hoof ball.

But I don't agree with Marsch's get it forward at every opportunity style either.

There is a time to keep the ball, that is something Marscg needs to learn.

Every style has its good and bad.

Marsch's desire to play these fast vertical passes at every opportunity whilst making the pitch as narrow as possible with players as technically limited as ours is for me problematic.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:59 pm He could call him out in private - straight to the FA. They do review every referee performance and attempt to improve the overall consistency of officiating. Calling him out publicly just makes Leeds a marked team next time around.
A waste of time, too easy to ignore. Doing it publicly focuses attention on the issue. And Leeds are a marked team anyway, let’s face it.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I was not able to watch the game live. Just finished watching the recording. Bottom line...I'm proud of the boys for keeping a clean sheet and earning a very important point. I thought we were bright in the first half and looked the better side. Disappointed that we will never see the tactical adjustments that JM made at halftime because of the 2nd yellow and subsequent red to Sinisterra. The first yellow card was VERY soft. But the second was an absolute moment of stupidity. I think he cost us two points today.

As for the rest. Meslier was mostly poor today in spite of the clean sheet. He had almost no command of his box. Cooper was an immediate upgrade over Lloriente. His communication looked good and the back line was more organized. Rodrigo looked mostly good. But his yellow card was completely unnecessary. And he didn't finish his two great chances. Bamford was able to impact the game off the bench. Damn near set up a smash and grab for us. The Referee was complete shite!!!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:45 pm The Referee was complete shite!!!!
Spoken like a true Yorkshireman
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:56 pm Spoken like a true Yorkshireman
:roflmao: Well, I have had Yorkshire pudding. Which wasn't really pudding at all was it.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:53 pm You certainly can't play like Citeh on the cheap. Let's face it, the true current model is the Burnley model. Do it on the cheap and hope to finish 17th. I know fans won't like being more defensive, but if keeps us up under the current ownership, then it'll do.
Bert showed us you can.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm Reluctantly agree, which says more about how neglected our left back area is than faith in Firpo.

Struijk is simply to slow.

Oh jeez no, he's fcking terrible at defending, a complete duffer, and i definitely know now why Bert said.... 'only if they're better than what we have already'

I'm absolutely convinced he got pissed off with what the clown was bringing him constantly, and now Jesses stuck with these and i don't think he stands a chance...f**k OFF TO CHELSEA YOU USELESS TWAT.

We were absolutely awful yesterday even prior to 10 men, if he preferred PS over a so called natural LB then that says it all, Firpo is utter garbage and a liability all-round.

Our result against Chelsea isn't looking as good as first thought, Chelsea were shite and weakened and we caught them at the right time, i don't think we'd have fared well against Forest or Scum, but we'll not know now.

Cooper is a fcking stupid ba***rd for shirt pulling and as Captain should know better...THERE'S VAR NOW YOU STUPID NUMPTY, WHY DO IT SO BLATANTLY YOU DUMB FCKER!!!......THINK YOU'RE PLAYING RUGBY YA THICK TWAT ???

Our best signings are proving to be Jesses, i wouldn't have moved Jack over when he's been playing on the left ok, i'd have tried Sinisterra on the right (didn't he appear more on the right for Columbia goals?)

Sorry to say this Paul, early days and i am open to changing my mind, but i'm starting to feel we're going backwards, or more so that others have our number, not completely yet, but i'm getting quite worried about what Jesse has in his locker ( i don't think it's much but he might yet surprise me) ...I think i'm reaching the point where i'm waiting to pounce on him, but i'm 100% hoping for another Chelsea performance to see if it was us that was good or them that were shite.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:44 pm I wonder how much of that is down to the long lay off. Or if it's just that our players are technically not good enough. I heard someone comparing our quality to Citeh earlier. We'll never be that. But we need to be a lot better in possession than we were today.
Whoever compares us having the quality of Citeh needs to give their head a good shake.

I compared our play to championship football, frantic, panicky with plenty of head tennis, hoof, erratic passing & precious little creativity. We don't even come close to Citeh's class & style.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

That was one of the worst football matches i have ever seen at Elland Road in my life.

A complete and utter waste of money and energy. We will be fighting relegation this season again.

Utter shite, from two rubbish teams. :tdown:
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Who da fook said we have the quality of Citeh ! ? ! ??%$£"! !

We are light years away !.....we have become a fck knows what.

Possession based football ain't in Jesses locker, well, actually i'm lying, it is, he just be useless at it.

I'll tell you why in the coming weeks but i know now why it is and he doesn't stand a chance with it.

Our Bert days sadly are now long long gone, we'll never ever ever even see glimpses of them with this new system in place, and i hope to fck he doesn't even attempt to play like Bert coz he don't stand a chance and it'll be a disaster waiting to happen.

And if you're looking for a current example, just re run yesterdays game and try and count the number of times we nonchalantly knocked the ball about anywhere on the pitch.....put it this way - long gone are the days you'll hear the Elland Rd faithful ...."ole" "ole" "ole"......atm i'm feeling EVERY single game is gonna be an untidy scrappy shitfest of scrappiness relegation type of scrappy shite.

Tis very sad.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Think it was tongue in cheek, the Citeh comparison.
Even Stevie Wonder can see we are better😀
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:33 am Bert showed us you can.
For one season. Last year was a horror show.