Horse Racing News.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Horse Racing News - 2024 Cheltenham Festival

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:53 pm When they spoke to Scu before the race you’d have thought Corach was his child not a horse 😁
I saw that interview, he's in love with the horse :love:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:02 pm I don’t think it’s cruel either JD, I just think it could be made safer.

Jockeys forced to pull up their horses before the last few fences when out the back would be a good start., instead of trying to ‘complete the course’ on very tired horses.

Reducing weights the horses carry, this would make them less prone to falling when tired.

Elliott smiling whilst straddling a dead horse was a shocking image for racing, and more fatalities this week hadn’t helped.

P.S I hate McDonalds 🤮🤮🤮
Some good ideas Kev and I think racing is still taking steps to reduce fatalities especially in jumps racing.
I’m not a fan of the whip especially when it’s employed on tired horses who are clearly giving their all.
But racing is a multi layered industry with an amazing grass roots level especially in Ireland. I’m talking point to points here. I’ve been to loads of those and never ever seen an injury.
I’d think very carefully about banning it though. That is a very dangerous road to go down.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:50 pm The trainer also rode a winner in that race previously.

It’s interesting as to people’s perception of what is cruel. The jumps brigade absolutely love their horses, they are generally very well treated. If anyone saw the Fergal O’Brien stable tour well those horses have an individual shower afterwards 😂
If you eat meat you may want to really question what is cruel and where your Big Mac is coming from.
I don’t think racing is cruel but it does have an image problem in the modern woke world.
Nothing to do with woke Jay, I just feel that the horses have been tasked with some shocking jumps at the Grand National. I will always remember seeing (was it Jenny Pitman :duno: ) being interviewed on the BBC before the GN. It was showing a video of Smiths Lad in his stable and yard and she was so fond of him. He started the race but didn't make it. That look on her face when she knew he had fallen and there was no more Smith's Lad was awful to see. I cried my eyes out and it still saddens me to this day the amount of horses who have lost their lives through 'sport'. Hopefully like BB has stated that the organisers have done something about it.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:02 pm I don’t think it’s cruel either JD, I just think it could be made safer.

Jockeys forced to pull up their horses before the last few fences when out the back would be a good start., instead of trying to ‘complete the course’ on very tired horses.

Reducing weights the horses carry, this would make them less prone to falling when tired.

Elliott smiling whilst straddling a dead horse was a shocking image for racing, and more fatalities this week hadn’t helped.

P.S I hate McDonalds 🤮🤮🤮
Why can't the racing authorities implement such good ideas you raise, Kev?

If you wish to reduce your life expectancy, eat at McDonalds.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:11 pm Some good ideas Kev and I think racing is still taking steps to reduce fatalities especially in jumps racing.
I’m not a fan of the whip especially when it’s employed on tired horses who are clearly giving their all.
But racing is a multi layered industry with an amazing grass roots level especially in Ireland. I’m talking point to points here. I’ve been to loads of those and never ever seen an injury.
I’d think very carefully about banning it though. That is a very dangerous road to go down.
I would never say ban it JD, I wouldn’t want them to, I enjoyed Cheltenham, I enjoy going to Flat meetings, I enjoy the whole day out. I’m no hypocrite.

All I’m saying is, with very easy steps, make it safer. You’ll never stop injuries and fatalities, animals running will always suffer injuries, but it’s fairly simple stuff in my eyes to make it safer.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

P.S I hate McDonalds 🤮🤮🤮
I'm not talking about the whole world of horse racing, or the whole of the Grand National. But let's be honest there has been carnage at some fences at the Grand national in the past. Beeches brook for example.

Your idea of very tired horses being pulled up when they've nothing to run for and reduced weights are good 'uns
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:18 pm Nothing to do with woke Jay, I just feel that the horses have been tasked with some shocking jumps at the Grand National. I will always remember seeing (was it Jenny Pitman :duno: ) being interviewed on the BBC before the GN. It was showing a video of Smiths Lad in his stable and yard and she was so fond of him. He started the race but didn't make it. That look on her face when she knew he had fallen and there was no more Smith's Lad was awful to see. I cried my eyes out and it still saddens me to this day the amount of horses who have lost their lives through 'sport'. Hopefully like BB has stated that the organisers have done something about it.
The National is tame compared to back in the day tbh Swannie but I take your point. They have genuinely tried to make it safer.
I’ve followed racing for 50 years and I genuinely hate seeing horses (or jockeys) injured but I still think it’s a great sport.
I still find it hilarious that people who eat meat or fish think racing is cruel. If your a pig or a cow or a fish I very much doubt you’d see it that way.
I’d say to anyone with that opinion go visit a national hunt stable and see for yourself. I have. They are generally treated better than the staff 😂
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This race ought to have pride & place on here at the very least.

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 pm I would never say ban it JD, I wouldn’t want them to, I enjoyed Cheltenham, I enjoy going to Flat meetings, I enjoy the whole day out. I’m no hypocrite.

All I’m saying is, with very easy steps, make it safer. You’ll never stop injuries and fatalities, animals running will always suffer injuries, but it’s fairly simple stuff in my eyes to make it safer.
Not aimed at you at all Kev, I just mean the happy clappy brigade that want it banned wanted leisure fishing banned too. This is a dangerous road to go down but if we do it all gets banned for me.
No dog owning, no cod & chips, no meat, nothing. Zero. Otherwise we are all hypocrites.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:28 pm This race ought to have pride & place on here at the very least.

Awesome performance, Leon.
I genuinely thought the ground would find him out but that was pure class.
Hard to see him not winning 3 with Willie Mullins in charge.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:40 pm Awesome performance, Leon.
I genuinely thought the ground would find him out but that was pure class.
Hard to see him not winning 3 with Willie Mullins in charge.
On easier ground conditions, Galopin would win a third Gold Cup easily.

Although the going was officially soft, it looked like a bog on parts of the course.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Galloping was the dead cert. It's on the line came second, so with no £2 free bet offered I was tempted into an on the nostril double.
Good job I didn't.

Excellent tips overall but at short odds favs one needs to wager a wad to prosper, which means losing a wad when a shoe falls off through dodgy nails. 🤣

£13 profit on my first Cheltenham festival and looking forward to the next one.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Re: Saturday Racing, 16th March: Uttoxeter (1st race at 1.15pm)

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:59 pm They were talking about it on the opening show.
It was Mullins 9 Ireland 9 Britain 9
Take Mullins out and it’s fairly close.
They need to change the make up of a lot of races or get rid. Back to 3 days is my feeling.
Only four English trainers won races.

3 Dan Skelton
1 Paul Nicholls (difficult to back with any confidence.)
1 Kim Bailey
1 Fiona Needham. (Yorkshire lady who seems to only have one horse in her stable.)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:59 pm They need to change the make up of a lot of races or get rid. Back to 3 days is my feeling.
What would the advantages be by going back to a three-day meeting, Jay?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:13 pm What would the advantages be by going back to a three-day meeting, Jay?
Not interested in a lot of the new races, Leon.
Mares races. Novice handicaps with a million runners.
I think they’ve diluted the quality. It was 20 races of the highest quality. Now it’s 28 races with some of dubious quality.
And it’s beyond me how a Festival race ends up with less than 8 runners.
Thursday was far and away the best day for me. Way more competitive. It’s not rocket science
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:10 pm Only four English trainers won races.

3 Dan Skelton
1 Paul Nicholls (difficult to back with any confidence.)
1 Kim Bailey
1 Fiona Needham. (Yorkshire lady who seems to only have one horse in her stable.)
How many different Irish trainers? Loads wasn’t it?
Read a really good piece about Irish point to point. An interview with top amateur Derek O’Connor.
They said 40% of last year’s Festival winners came from the Irish point to point “system”.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:21 pm How many different Irish trainers? Loads wasn’t it?
Read a really good piece about Irish point to point. An interview with top amateur Derek O’Connor.
They said 40% of last year’s Festival winners came from the Irish point to point “system”.
Oh! I forgot the Devon trainer Jeremy Scott's winner, Golden Ace & Ben Pauling's 'Arry hoorse
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:21 pm How many different Irish trainers? Loads wasn’t it?
Six I think.

Mullins, Bromhead, Elliott, Cromwell, O'Brien & Emett Mullins.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:37 pm Six I think.

Mullins, Bromhead, Elliott, Cromwell, O'Brien & Emett Mullins.
So really the big difference is Willie Mullins.
Same in flat racing with Aiden O’Brien.