Newcastle Utd 0-0 Leeds Utd Post Match Debate.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Newcastle Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:43 am Andrew I beg to differ. History shows that 38 points will keep you up over 95% of the time. My own expectations are higher than that. I set a goal of 1.25 points per game for this season. That would be 47 points. Which would be good for about 12th historically.

Right now we are not meeting my expectations. It's been frustrating. And I even called for the Manager to be fired. However, based on the last few results I do expect us to go on a bit of a run. And I firmly believe we will end the season north of 40 points.
Yeah. I'd be happier with 42. 1 point per game just keeps us treading water all season
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:52 am Well, 42 points will keep you safe 100% of the time. And a lot of people still use the 40 point standard which is fair. But I went back about 15 seasons and I think in all but one 38 points was enough.
Happy New Year btw Paul. You're Eastern Time?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Newcastle Utd 0-0 Leeds Utd Post Match Debate.

Post by Kennyb41 »

39pts is usually regarded as the total pts that in most cases guarantees safety and is the first aim of clubs fearing relegation from matchweek one, which is sadly what we've become.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

My concern is we are so reliant on Meslier.

Some of our experienced players should be asking questions about their own game.

Why put so much pressure on one of our youngest first-team players?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Watched MOTD, and except for Longstaff, I don't think they had any great chances. Even the "great save" from Meslier was a result of his indecisiveness from the corner. Just a boring game tbh, but I'm not surprised at this time of the year with many matches crammed in.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:18 am Some teams will hit form and go on a run. You expect teams like Leicester and Everton to improve. And teams like Wolves are throwing money. We can't survive on 1.0 ppg. If we're going to survive, we need to be one of those teams that goes on a run too.
I doubt it tbh. If they were that good, they wouldn't be down the bottom at this stage.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Once again I was reduced to listening on the wireless (none of the streams were working for me) so can’t offer any player ratings etc. But a point is more than I expected so all’s well that ends well. To make that hard earned point really count though we do need to beat West Ham at home next up.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:24 am Happy New Year btw Paul. You're Eastern Time?
Happy New Year Andrew!! I'm in the Mountain Time Zone but I headed for bed early last night. Getting old sucks!! :roflmao:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I've just watched the whole match again on LUTV without all the emotion/stress when watching Leeds live.

The first-half plusses outnumbered the second-half plus moments, with the minuses far more prevalent in the second-half

We actually started well, in fact we were comfortable in the first 45 minutes.

Meslier & Adams were immense throughout the whole game.

We kept their best player this season, Almiron relatively quiet.

Joelinton & Wilson should have been red carded for a couple of raised arm incidents on Roca & Meslier.

Bruno Guimarães blatant dive to win a penalty at the death was ludicrous, as he & colleagues totally lost their discipline by the end of the game.

A deserved point for Leeds imo!
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Haven't read all the thread but a quick scan says you're; happy with the point, disappointed in the Ref, disappointed with your own team.

From a Newcastle perspective, I thought we created some good opportunities but literally nobody had on their shooting boots. Wood was a pest, but clearly isn't the standard we need if we want to get into Europe. I thought the ref didn't have a handle on the game at all. Probably our worst performance in a long time, and relieved it didn't culminate in a loss. Also think Howe got the starting line up wrong. ASM could have caused havoc down your right and I'm not sure the same will be true tonight against Arsenal. I understand not rushing Wilson back, but ASM should be raring to go.

Turns out it wasn't a disastrous result as a lot of the teams at the top of the table dropped points too. It's mental to think that we're 17 games into the season, and we've only lost 1 game. We've gone from one of the worst defences in the league, to the best. 9 clean sheets, and only 11 conceded. Our two best strikers have only played 53% and 16% of the time respectively and yet we've still scored 32 goals.

I'm not coming on here to gloat or owt. I'm just amazed by the job Howe has done. Yes we've spent some money, but I think it's fair to say that the impact Howe has had on the players who were here before the takeover is remarkable. Look at Joelinton, £40m flop striker turned into an absolute giant in midfield, Almiron, Willock, Longstaff, Krafth, Schar... They've all dreamaticaly improved and that's down to Howe. If the Manager of the Year was by calendar, rather than season, Howe would surely, surely, have to be the winner.

Anyway, Hope everyone who travelled to St James' had a good time. Spotted earlier in the thread that some scamp got into the home end, it's good to see that it was taken in good spirits by those around him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Fish wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:06 am I'm not coming on here to gloat or owt. I'm just amazed by the job Howe has done. Yes we've spent some money, but I think it's fair to say that the impact Howe has had on the players who were here before the takeover is remarkable. Look at Joelinton, £40m flop striker turned into an absolute giant in midfield, Almiron, Willock, Longstaff, Krafth, Schar... They've all dreamaticaly improved and that's down to Howe. If the Manager of the Year was by calendar, rather than season, Howe would surely, surely, have to be the winner.
That for me is the biggest reason for Newcastle's success rather than the money spent. Yes Bruno has been an amazing signing but the majority of the team is the same team that was in place prior to Howe arriving.

A good manager improves the players he has, gets more out of them whether that is by giving them confidence in themselves or playing tactics that improves them and the team.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Fish wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:06 am Haven't read all the thread but a quick scan says you're; happy with the point, disappointed in the Ref, disappointed with your own team.

From a Newcastle perspective, I thought we created some good opportunities but literally nobody had on their shooting boots. Wood was a pest, but clearly isn't the standard we need if we want to get into Europe. I thought the ref didn't have a handle on the game at all. Probably our worst performance in a long time, and relieved it didn't culminate in a loss. Also think Howe got the starting line up wrong. ASM could have caused havoc down your right and I'm not sure the same will be true tonight against Arsenal. I understand not rushing Wilson back, but ASM should be raring to go.

Turns out it wasn't a disastrous result as a lot of the teams at the top of the table dropped points too. It's mental to think that we're 17 games into the season, and we've only lost 1 game. We've gone from one of the worst defences in the league, to the best. 9 clean sheets, and only 11 conceded. Our two best strikers have only played 53% and 16% of the time respectively and yet we've still scored 32 goals.

I'm not coming on here to gloat or owt. I'm just amazed by the job Howe has done. Yes we've spent some money, but I think it's fair to say that the impact Howe has had on the players who were here before the takeover is remarkable. Look at Joelinton, £40m flop striker turned into an absolute giant in midfield, Almiron, Willock, Longstaff, Krafth, Schar... They've all dreamaticaly improved and that's down to Howe. If the Manager of the Year was by calendar, rather than season, Howe would surely, surely, have to be the winner.

Anyway, Hope everyone who travelled to St James' had a good time. Spotted earlier in the thread that some scamp got into the home end, it's good to see that it was taken in good spirits by those around him.
You must be over the moon with the progress Newcastle have achieved, Fish.

To think you were worse off than Leeds, with relegation looking likely a year ago.

You have moved forward significantly, whilst we have stagnated.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:57 am You must be over the moon with the progress Newcastle have achieved, Fish.

To think you were worse off than Leeds, with relegation looking likely a year ago.

We have, and while Howe and the players deserve tonnes of credit, you cannot stick the uncomfortable truth away in a box somewhere. Sure Bruno, Botman, Pope could possibly have been signed under the old regime, but from the outside we weren't attractive, hell even from the inside it was pretty toxic. Thousands had had enough and were walking away from the thing that bore the name of the club we loved, but wasn't that thing anymore. New owners, new hope, new Newcastle.

I don't mean to come across condescending or owt and I get your frustration, but from the outside you still seem a good Premier League side. You're missing a couple of star quality players, because clubs with bags and bags of cash came along and poached them. When you replace Phillips and Raphinha properly, I'm sure you'll settle back into your rhythm. Knowing Leeds, you've probably got a couple of young lads on the cusp of the first team, ready to kick on.

You came to an in form Newcastle and Leeds-ed your way to a point. Carry that commitment into other games against less stingy defence and I've no doubt you'll win more than you lose. I honestly don't know enough about Marsch, but he seems to be a pretty genuine bloke.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:57 am You must be over the moon with the progress Newcastle have achieved, Fish.

We haven't stagnated, we've added 7 - 9 first teamers...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:06 pm We haven't stagnated, we've added 7 - 9 first teamers...
Bottom end of the market signings is all we can afford.

After selling Phillips & Raphinha & loaning out James (who was a first team player last season), plus the fact we'd lost Dallas & Bamford for much of this campaign & with certain players ageing & coming to the end of their Leeds career, we needed to bring in new recruitments.

Truth is, as things stand now, we haven't moved forward in the last two seasons!

New players require time to gel, hopefully we'll see some progression in the next year or so.
The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Think Brentford and Brighton have shown there are still bargains to be had. Mitoma and Caicedo were both less than £5m, Toney, MBuemo and Norgaard were around that as well.

Just shows there's quality out there at pre-insanity prices.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Fish wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:47 am Think Brentford and Brighton have shown there are still bargains to be had. Mitoma and Caicedo were both less than £5m, Toney, MBuemo and Norgaard were around that as well.

Just shows there's quality out there at pre-insanity prices.
Brighton & Brentford are notorious for snapping up bargains & integrating them into their regular first XI.

We've found three ourselves in Meslier, Struijk & Gnonto.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:08 pm Brighton & Brentford are notorious for snapping up bargains & integrating them into their regular first XI.

We've found three ourselves in Meslier, Struijk & Gnonto.
What about Summerville 64?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:27 pm What about Summerville 64?
Yes, Cry is another one, Chilli.
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bongo1874 »

Won't go down , the thing I question is what is the ambition at Leeds is it to avoid relegation every year , or do they want a piece of Europe etc which I believe they can achieve, is marsch an improvement on the previous manager sorry but I don't think so , he's not getting the same out them.