Leeds Utd 2-2 West Ham Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v West Ham Utd Match Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:54 pm The traffic problems were horrendous last night, we arrived at ER half an hour later than we usually do.
It wasn’t much better coming home, train strikes don’t help of course forcing everyone on to the roads.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Re: Leeds Utd 2-2 West Ham Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by mentalcase »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 pm The YEP today is bemoaning the fact that this team are so much prone to self-harm.
This is of course correct, the first 40 seconds showed what we were in for , 30 seconds into the game, Koch sends a pass astray when a United player is less than 6 yards away, 10 seconds later, 40 seconds after kick-off, Rodrigo passes the ball the a wham player, there's simply no excusing either, particularly rodrigo as there was no United player in front of him, that set the tone for the remaining 93 minutes, outrageous.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:15 pm This is of course correct, the first 40 seconds showed what we were in for , 30 seconds into the game, Koch sends a pass astray when a United player is less than 6 yards away, 10 seconds later, 40 seconds after kick-off, Rodrigo passes the ball the a wham player, there's simply no excusing either, particularly rodrigo as there was no United player in front of him, that set the tone for the remaining 93 minutes, outrageous.
Tbf West Ham gave the ball away almost as much as we did which is why the game looked so frantic because neither side could hold on to the ball for long.
What I will say is that neither side settled for a point at 2-2 which they could have done. Not good for the ticker though.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:19 pm Tbf West Ham gave the ball away almost as much as we did which is why the game looked so frantic because neither side could hold on to the ball for long.
What I will say is that neither side settled for a point at 2-2 which they could have done. Not good for the ticker though.
I agree, but, I don't care about any other team, it infuriates me that our team are unable to put a pass of less than 6 yards to each other on a regular basis, how many times during just one half do we constantly either pass astray or send it into touch, it's unforgivable, this is professional football, it's all too frantic.
I live in hope we'll see a better team this season :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:05 pm The players are the blame, there are no excuses Cooper, Aaronson & Pascal can make for three of our last five goals conceded, simple errors our players never seem to eradicate from their game, there were oceans of space around them.

How Koch got away with his cluster of daft mistakes last night, god only knows. You can now see why he wasn't selected for the Germany World Cup squad

I'm close to suggesting Llorente comes in for Koch
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:54 pm The traffic problems were horrendous last night, we arrived at ER half an hour later than we usually do.

Took us ages to get down the hill to the car park when we came of the M621, cutting it fine to say the least. Assume there was a lot more car and bus traffic last ngiht due to the rail strikes.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I thought we were kak overall but still just about edged it enough to win the game. Coops did well with the header but showed his CB prowess in front of goal at the end. Hooowwwww Muuuchhh has WH spent tho, no wonder their fans are spitting feathers. They were terrible but i guess that's what 5 losses does to a team. We allowed them into the game when we should have been far more positive with the ball

I got frustrated how many times we passed backwards. I read it like its Adams job to win the ball back and the give it Roca to pick the forward pass...Sadly i'm starting to doubt he may be upto the task. We just have zero flair in the middle but atleast Harrison gave it a go. You can see the leftovers of Bielsa's Leeds playing it around from the back but more often than not it breaks down and leaves us in trouble. Arronson making the latest error. I think the poorer teams under Bielsa stepped off little allowing us more possession now everyone is stepping up and waiting for the mistake.

A point up at Newcastle felt like three.... yesterday it felt like 2 lost. Time will tell how important that turns out to be. We go again.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:57 pm I missed this. But word on both sides of the pond is that Klich to DC United is almost done. Which as a DC United supporter makes me happy. I think he will do a very good job for us dropping down to a lower standard league.
I agree Paul, keep us updated with him.

Klich isn't your usual journeyman, you can see he loves playing football and will continue to enjoy his game over there, it won't surprise me at all to see him do well, he's got a nice game about him and hides a nice skill set.

The dropp down in speed from the Prem games will suit him down to the ground and i expect him to hit the ground running, it will come as a nice shock to him and i think he'll revel in it for a couple of years.

Be nice if Jesse's actually pulled some strings and manufactured that move for him.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:59 pm He got a guard of honour as he left the pitch Paul. Well deserved.
Yeah was a nice touch, pity more fans didn't stay behind unless it was a spur of the moment thing with the players
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:10 pm The ' too narrow ' mantra is the stick that some use to beat Marsch with. Whether it's true or not is immaterial.

The fact is that if you are the first team in the top-flight to concede an average of at least two goals in a full year since Coventry in 1984 then it doesn't matter which manager you have - you will struggle.

And we've been looking for a creative attacking midfielder for about 5 years and have failed. Over to you Victor...
Jeez Chapel, be careful what you wish for like.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:18 pm 20th Bournemouth
19th Forest
18th Everton
17th Palace
16th Leeds

That will be an issue because whether people like it or not analysis tools will be a huge part of Jesse's job security.
We need 3 worse than us again and atm i'm hoping that's Soton, EFC (please God) and Bournemouth.

I haven't a fcking scoobie what to make of us.

;@)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:18 pm I agree Paul, keep us updated with him.

Klich isn't your usual journeyman, you can see he loves playing football and will continue to enjoy his game over there, it won't surprise me at all to see him do well, he's got a nice game about him and hides a nice skill set.

The dropp down in speed from the Prem games will suit him down to the ground and i expect him to hit the ground running, it will come as a nice shock to him and i think he'll revel in it for a couple of years.

Be nice if Jesse's actually pulled some strings and manufactured that move for him.
This is exactly right Kenny. He still has a fire in his belly to play and compete. I think he will enjoy playing in MLS and living in the United States. I think the deal is 2 years plus a club option for a 3rd. Still waiting for official announcement.

MLS has a reputation, especially in England, of being a "retirement league". Nothing could be further from the truth. But players like Lampard, Gerrard, and Pirlo came over and perpetuated that stereotype. All three were absolute flops in MLS. They could not piss off fast enough.

Klich is EXACTLY the type of type of player that I like to see come over. A guy that still wants to compete, can help the side, and be a mentor to the young players he will be surrounded with.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:22 pm It's a narrative that many have bought into. But it's not backed up. And frankly we hear about all this width that we played with under Bielsa. Which is also a canard. Go back and watch all of our goals from our Championship season and our first in the Premier League. We were not scoring from balls delivered from wide spaces. We were scoring because we had six and seven guys crashing the box. Our chances were created from balls played from the edge of the box or through the narrow channels. Our execution was much better in those days. Is that coaching? Or is it that some players got old. And others, like Pablo, got old and left the club? T

The one concession I would make is that under Bielsa we committed more players into the attack. We also gave up a metric s**t ton of goals......
Paul, Bert used to pull his hair out at all the chances he got the team to create and not put the ball in the back of the net, sometimes we shudda had 5/6 goals if we had players that could finish, and prior to his injured trio, they wouldn't have conceded that many, i'm talking some games we could and should have won summert like 6-2, our execution was terrible for all the goalmouth chances from really good open play build up

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:39 pm This is exactly right Kenny. He still has a fire in his belly to play and compete. I think he will enjoy playing in MLS and living in the United States. I think the deal is 2 years plus a club option for a 3rd. Still waiting for official announcement.

MLS has a reputation, especially in England, of being a "retirement league". Nothing could be further from the truth. But players like Lampard, Gerrard, and Pirlo came over and perpetuated that stereotype. All three were absolute flops in MLS. They could not piss off fast enough.

Klich is EXACTLY the type of type of player that I like to see come over. A guy that still wants to compete, can help the side, and be a mentor to the young players he will be surrounded with.
:tup: Agreed.

Keep us posted.

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:39 pm This is exactly right Kenny. He still has a fire in his belly to play and compete. I think he will enjoy playing in MLS and living in the United States. I think the deal is 2 years plus a club option for a 3rd. Still waiting for official announcement.

Might have to make a trip when DC comes to LA
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:17 pm I'm not sure what point you are trying to make Ian. Are you disagreeing with my take? Or or you backing it up? My point was about width.
To start with JM, narrowed the ER pitch to minimum ...so he can't play with full width as Bielsa did even if he wanted to. Second Summerville drifted wide as did Gnonto but they play narrow as a default... hence the goal. Even Ayling didn't get up and down the wing like we're used to... We know why Struijk doesn't, it's not his forte
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 pm Yep, I think those are good observations Paul. Before the feed went down I was thinking to myself ' hang on, we are using the width of the pitch aren't we ? '

Personally speaking, I don't think we have ever replaced the quality which Pablo provided.

Btw, it would be nice if some on here gave Marsch some credit for turning Rodrigo into a reliable goal scorer - Bielsa couldn't get anything out of him.
Fck me Chapel just let it lie ffs, Rodney hit a decent goal (he's paid well enough tha knows and damn well should be doing) he was a non entity for the most part.

And wtf you compare Rodneys game under each of these two managers is beyond me.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Have i missed something with Gnonto, he put his goal away well and looked lively enough working hard, a game you'd say was decent and by no means poor, but what was so special that some are raving about ?

And i know he's 18.

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:57 pm Have i missed something with Gnonto, he put his goal away well and looked lively enough working hard, a game you'd say was decent and by no means poor, but what was so special that some are raving about ?

And i know he's 18.
Your missing the football intelligence...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

velo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:41 pm Kenny please add you vote to the 'Rate the Ref thread@ I can hardly wait to see it...........
I didn't have a problem at all with the ref, it got abit heated at one point, Jimmy could've had an early bath but he took into consideration the previous from the WH man..

If you want a rating i'd say 7.5/10

I wouldn't be bothered if he had us next.

;@)