Aston Villa 2-1 Leeds United - Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Jack Harrison starts in place of Summerville

Post by BGwhite »

Boo Radley wrote: I’d go with that back 4 starting. We have to pray that Wober is the player we hope he is or the options are really limited.
Wober came within a millisecond of our equaliser but mong just beat him to it otherwise he'd have been an instant hero. Should start against Cardiff so we'll know more about him after that.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Jack Harrison starts in place of Summerville

Post by Tyzy »

It's just like last season, hoping other teams around us lose.
1corvus1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by 1corvus1 »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:36 pm If we weren't creating chances, I'd be more worried. Eventually we have to get a break and get a result or two.
wouldn't matter we score 3 our defence let's in 4 odds on bet
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:30 pm Who though? Our fans act as if the players are worldbeaters
No we don't don't be absurd...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Desperate times......if we brought in the likes of Dyche I think he would certainly sort out our League 2 defence and given our talent up front (apart from a premier league striker) we could be great on the break.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:28 pm I don't think another manager can save us, we've got to tough it out with Jesse.

We're gonna have to hope Jesse's hectic style is gonna save us coz we can't hope to play someone off the park.
The thing is that for the most part we played Villa off the park. The trouble is our tactics continually leave us so vulnerable that we give the opposition, no matter how sh&t they are, at least 2 or 3 excellent chances per game. We're just handicapping ourselves every game by playing the same tactics.

A different manager would just need to bring in a bit of structure and we would be fine. We have the creativity and strikeforce to score goals without having to be as vulnerable as we are. Our defence is our weakest area yet we employ tactics to make it even weaker rather than trying to protect or strengthen it.
CanuckMightyWhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Surely, a loss against Brentford now seals Marsch’s fate, irrespective if we win the xG battle or not!
How can we keep repeating the same defensive mistakes? How can Struijk turn into Pennington all of a sudden?
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 pm The thing is that for the most part we played Villa off the park. The trouble is our tactics continually leave us so vulnerable that we give the opposition, no matter how sh&t they are, at least 2 or 3 excellent chances per game. We're just handicapping ourselves every game by playing the same tactics.

A different manager would just need to bring in a bit of structure and we would be fine. We have the creativity and strikeforce to score goals without having to be as vulnerable as we are. Our defence is our weakest area yet we employ tactics to make it even weaker rather than trying to protect or strengthen it.
Yup.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm at a bit of a loss tbh Weasel, i don't know where i'm at, i feel a win could be just around the corner, but a hammering could be as well.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

CanuckMightyWhite wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:01 pm Surely, a loss against Brentford now seals Marsch’s fate, irrespective if we win the xG battle or not!
How can we keep repeating the same defensive mistakes? How can Struijk turn into Pennington all of a sudden?
Oh fck do we play Brentford next ?/!!

I suppose that's where i'm at.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:33 pm Pascal has just had two consecutive nightmare games
After being moved away from a position he was gettign acclimatised too and then moved back into. Coincidence? :duno:
1corvus1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by 1corvus1 »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 pm The thing is that for the most part we played Villa off the park. The trouble is our tactics continually leave us so vulnerable that we give the opposition, no matter how sh&t they are, at least 2 or 3 excellent chances per game. We're just handicapping ourselves every game by playing the same tactics.

that was well said our defenders have always mistakes in them and need more protection from the midfield
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I agree. We have CS, Sini plus Rutter(?) to come in. We are a match for most going forward. Not sure about Roca or Aaronson at times but it’s at LB where we have our biggest problem because if Wober is a proper CB then we need Firpo to defy his critics and prove Faaip was right all along
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Could be worse, Juventus lost 5-1 to Napoli.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Finnatic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:25 pm And yet Cooper and Ayling will be in my mot top six and possibly other posters too
Yes, our two golden oldies Cooper & Ayling did well, whereas Koch & Struijk were weak at the back.

I'm not happy with back four, whichever combination is selected. Not one of them has pace or look comfortable on the ball, they stand off attackers allowing them to get their shots in.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:05 pm After being moved away from a position he was gettign acclimatised too and then moved back into. Coincidence? :duno:
All 4 of our central defenders are decent footballers, but made to look poor by the system. I'd rather Marsch stayed for the time being but he needs to rethink his tactics ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 pm Could be worse, Juventus lost 5-1 to Napoli.

And guess who scored and got an assist lol
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Before we start getting giddy about giving Jesse the boot, remember he was recruited last year with an eye on being in the championship anyway. So if we get there a year later than planned he’s still likely to be the man Radz wants. And if we go down radz isnt likely to sell up, cos he won’t get the price he wants.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm not far behind Jesse here in thinking it's perhaps our best performance.

But where does that leave us ?

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:30 pm I thought it was a decent performance tbh, Leon. Worthy of a point at least. Some good saves & defensive tackles I have to albeit begrudgingly give them credit for. They have blagged 3 points there and they know it.
We didn't deserve that result one bit, Villa were poor & know they got away with the three points.

Martinez made a wonder save.
Rodrigo shot cleared off the line with the ball bouncing off Mareno's knee for a corner.
Two shouts for penalties blatantly ignored by VAR, Mings picked-up Gnonto & threw him to the ground.
VAR soon came out of their cage to disallow our offside goal.

We had no luck whatsoever!