Leeds Utd 5-2 Cardiff City Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd 5-2 Cardiff City Match Debate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Wednesday 18th January 7:45pm | Elland Road
FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

Leeds entertain managerless Cardiff City on Wednesday evening, in the FA Cup third round replay at Elland Road. The two sides fought out a 2-2 draw at Cardiff just over a week ago, and are set to wage battle once more. There's little love lost between the two sides, yet Wednesdays encounter could be the feistiest yet.

Cardiff sacked their Manager Mark Hudson after their 1-1 draw against bottom club Wigan Athletic at the weekend, and are rumoured to be bringing 74yo Neil Warnock out of retirement for one last hurrah. The winners of the tie are set to face either Accrington Stanley or Boreham Wood. A potential Cup run would certainly lift the spirits of both sets of fans.

With the U21's losing their second consecutive game in a row on Monday evening, Jesse Marsch must decide whether to call upon the likes of Cody Drameh, Sonny Perkins, Darko Gyabi and Mateo Joseph. The quartet all started in the 2-1 loss against West Brom at York City's LNER Community Stadium. Leeds also had Kris Moore sent off.

Archie Gray, Stuart Dallas, Crysencio Summerville and Adam Forshaw all remain long term absentees, with new signing Georginio Rutter unavailable. Rasmus Kristensen, Max Wober, Joe Gelhardt, Sam Greenwood, Diego Llorente and Jack Harrison will start. This is could be Gelhardt's last game for Leeds before joining either Swansea, Blackburn Rovers or Sunderland on loan for the rest of the season. Luis Sinisterra Returns to the bench alongside Patrick Bamford.

Joel Bagan returns for Cardiff City after serving his one match suspension after getting sent off in the reverse fixture. Mahlon Romeo (hamstring) and Jamilu Collins (ACL) remain sidelined for the Bluebirds.

Leeds Starting XI: Meslier, Kristensen, Wober, Llorente, Firpo, Roca, Adams, Greenwood, Harrison, Gnonto, Rodrigo

Leeds Subs: Robles, Ayling, Aaronson, Bamford, Perkins, Gyabi, Struijk, Sinisterra, Gelhardt

Be more secure streaming games this season! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Cardiff City Match Thread

Post by Chilli D »

We absolutely must win this game, to boost morale if nothing else.
Any team JM puts out should be good enough to win this game but as I've said before, this is us so anything could happen.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Drameh and Gyabi both played the full game for the U21's last night so are unlikely to start against Cardiff. I get the feeling JM is going to field a strong side with very few changes from the Villa game.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:49 am Drameh and Gyabi both played the full game for the U21's last night so are unlikely to start against Cardiff. I get the feeling JM is going to field a strong side with very few changes from the Villa game.
i thought Drameh was subbed after 65 mins
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Blackburn ideal for Joffy whilst they're riding high chasing play offs.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

pjm2019 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:35 am i thought Drameh was subbed after 65 mins
No, Drameh wasn't subbed, he put in a sublime cross in the last ten minutes.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

pjm2019 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:35 am i thought Drameh was subbed after 65 mins
Not according to this.
Screenshot_20230117_100523_Samsung Internet.jpg
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Put our strongest team out from the beginning, pop 3 in and then throw the reserves on. It has to be 3 because of our defence.
If Cardiff win then they've probably accelerated JM's exit .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:06 am Not according to this.

Screenshot_20230117_100523_Samsung Internet.jpg
I know Drameh wasn't subbed, I watched the whole game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cooper doubt as he has picked-up an injury in training

Sinisterra back! :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:42 pm Cooper doubt as he has picked-up an injury in training

We just sent the second best left sided CB to Rotherham ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:42 pm Cooper doubt as he has picked-up an injury in training

I doubt even Marsch would make a decision like playing Sinisterra as a centre back.

Seriously though it surely means a full debut for Wober in presumably his strongest position. Hopefully Marsch won't switch Struyjk again and make it 4 switches, for Sturyjk, in 4 matches.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:54 pm We just sent the second best left sided CB to Rotherham ...
Another player who is consistently underrated it seems. Not by me
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Ayling
Firpo
Adams (Gyabi played a full 90 bizarrely on Monday)
Koch
Wober
Aaronson
Greenwood
Rodrigo
Gnonto
Sinisterra
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:33 pm Gyabi played a full 90 bizarrely on Monday
Just bizarre and what sort of a message does it send to Gyabi. He was good enough to be selected to start last week and now he is presumably not even considered good enough to be on the bench - or if he is selected for the bench then only for a token role for a couple of minutes at the end.

All this talk of him being good with young players just seems so hollow. Gelhardt hardly used despite being a crucial part of us staying up last season, Gyabi hardly used at all. Gnonto told he wasn't good enough, but thankfully given a chance because of injuries and showed Marsch what a good player he is - or more proved it to the fans who then make it impossible for the manager to drop him. Aaronsen's confidence seemingly shot to pieces but Marsch seemingly unable to motivate him. Drameh given the same treatment as Gyabi.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Perkins only given 66 minutes yesterday so he may play a part tomorrow.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:29 pm Just bizarre and what sort of a message does it send to Gyabi. He was good enough to be selected to start last week and now he is presumably not even considered good enough to be on the bench - or if he is selected for the bench then only for a token role for a couple of minutes at the end.

All this talk of him being good with young players just seems so hollow. Gelhardt hardly used despite being a crucial part of us staying up last season, Gyabi hardly used at all. Gnonto told he wasn't good enough, but thankfully given a chance because of injuries and showed Marsch what a good player he is - or more proved it to the fans who then make it impossible for the manager to drop him. Aaronsen's confidence seemingly shot to pieces but Marsch seemingly unable to motivate him. Drameh given the same treatment as Gyabi.
What about Rodrigo?
Has Marsch improved him? Because if he has I hope whoever is lined up can keep it going.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:25 pm What about Rodrigo?
Has Marsch improved him? Because if he has I hope whoever is lined up can keep it going.
Rodrigo may just be a young chicken to you and me but as a premier league footballer he isn't.

I will give JM credit for Rodrigo even though it is impossible to really know whether his improvement is down to Marsch as earlier in the season JM seemed to be flip-flopping between him and a not fully fit Bamford despite Rodrigo scoring at a decent rate (think it was 4 in the first 3 matches). So you could say with Bamford breaking down JM's hand was forced but equally he could have picked Gelhardt instead so JM must be given the credit for selecting Rodrigo as his first choice striker.

As a striker Rodrigo has been more effective than when we had Dan James playing there under MB.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:25 pm What about Rodrigo?
I don't think he has, he was always that player. He sort of proved that before Marsch arrived... With strikers it's all about confidence and that comes from hitting the back of the net for them. Rodri (is this a thing now?) will go through another drought at some point, every striker does. Then fans, who confuse form for talent, will dredge up the usual tropes
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:45 pm I don't think he has, he was always that player. He sort of proved that before Marsch arrived... With strikers it's all about confidence and that comes from hitting the back of the net for them. Rodri (is this a thing now?) will go through another drought at some point, every striker does. Then fans, who confuse form for talent, will dredge up the usual tropes
Yeah that’s what I think. It just coincides with Marsch so he gets some credit for it. But I’m beginning to realise it’s almost certainly not the case.
Rodri? Doesn’t he play for Citeh