Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Accrington Stanley v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Record signing Georginio Rutter to make debut

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:46 pm Many of the rich clubs only need a couple of class moments. Nowt wrong with that.
Man City relied on a couple of class moments last night
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Accrington Stanley v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Record signing Georginio Rutter to make debut

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm No, no, no Swannie.
We hardly ever win at Portman Road. Believe me, I've been there for most of the defeats.
As I have Chilli, a horrible place to go. The last one when we got back in the game at 2-2, the tractor boys had a man sent off with about 20 minutes left on the clock & we still lost the game in the very last minute. We chucked that game away down to our own naiveness, Ipswich were poor & we handed them three points on a plate, as is often the case at Portman Road.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:42 pm Nothing wrong with Meslier
Had one corner he should have punched instead of flapping his hands at. But otherwise had a strong game. Definitely asked to do a lot more than he should have been today.
1964white

Re: Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:36 pm Yeah Bristol City was a guaranteed 6 points back in the cesspit
Memories of Pablo :love:

Now that was good day out in the West country.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Hoping for an easy tie like Livarpool at Anfield 👍
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Allrounder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:49 pm Seeing Llorente warming up doesn’t exactly give me more confidience
Kind of sad I was thinking. They just gave him a new contract. And they don't even trust him to play against Accrington Stanley - no more than 15 minutes and after we've already scored 3
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:03 pm Had one corner he should have punched instead of flapping his hands at. But otherwise had a strong game. Definitely asked to do a lot more than he should have been today.
Is it any wonder why we concede far too many goals in the Premier League.

As soon as Llorente came on at 0-3, I texted my mates on WhatsApp

'Now watch us concede a goal'

It took only five minutes :oops:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:04 pm Memories of Pablo :love:

Now that was good day out in the West country.
I can’t watch. That was real football :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:37 pm Didn't see the second half, but Accrington were just hoofing it first half, so never thought we were in danger of losing. GK motm says it all!
But we were giving possession away far too easily, for 20 minutes it was like watching two pub teams, surely we are better than that!

To be fair, we should have won by seven or eight.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm First half stats were bleak reading. Glad we turned it on in the 2nd half. Acc may have tired themselves out with all the energy fist half.
Bar a burst of class for the 2nd & 3rd goals we were crap. But hey FA Cup against lower league is always like that.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Allrounder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm Really don’t understand the talk about him leaving during every transfer window. Must be tough mentally for him as well, but good on him. ignoring all this rubbish talk.
Showing he can play more central too.

Interesting to see if and how he plays in JM's formation.

A 4-2-3-1, he seems to fit that central AMC role. In a 4-3-3, he seems to work as the left sided midfielder.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm Bar a burst of class for the 2nd & 3rd goals we were crap. But hey FA Cup against lower league is always like that.
No it's not, if a team shows their class & not be drawn into playing to the level of the underdogs.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Allrounder wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:56 pm Rodrigo replaces Sini
Interesting to see him come on with the game over. Maybe Marsch wants to see if he can play alongside Bamford in a front 3. That would definitely be useful at times in the second half of the season.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm But we were giving possession away far too easily, for 20 minutes it was like watching two pub teams, surely we are better than that!

To be fair, we should have won by seven or eight.
Could've been all over at HT, with Sini hitting the post and the block from Roca.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:08 pm Today's game another excellent example of how we miss Adams when he's not in the lineup. For most of the game I had no idea Roca and Greenwood were on the pitch.
I thought Roca did OK. But Greenwood couldn't really seem to get in the game. L1 opposition should have been chance for him to prove himself. Not knocking him too much. He has had good moments this season. But surprised he didn't have a better showing today.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm Interesting to see him come on with the game over. Maybe Marsch wants to see if he can play alongside Bamford in a front 3. That would definitely be useful at times in the second half of the season.
We look a far better team with Bamford up top, his link-up play, movement & holding up the ball is at a different level to anyone else in our squad.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:22 pm He's got a nasty streak
That late hit was awful. Couldn't give a red for it. But it was more than a yellow. Well done to the lad with his goal, though.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm No it's not, if a team shows their class & not be drawn into playing to the level of the underdogs.
Leicester only scraped past Walsall with a fortuitous goal. I've seen us lose to Crawley, Sutton, Cardiff, Hull, Newport, so I'll take a 3-1 win anyday. :)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:20 pm No it's not, if a team shows their class & not be drawn into playing to the level of the underdogs.
We looked their level for large parts of the contest.
Makes a change from losing to Crawley etc etc though.
Hopefully a home tie next.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm I thought Roca did OK. But Greenwood couldn't really seem to get in the game. L1 opposition should have been chance for him to prove himself. Not knocking him too much. He has had good moments this season. But surprised he didn't have a better showing today.
I'm not, seen enough to suggest he isn't ready yet!