Manchester Utd 2-2 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
mentalcase

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread - McKennie & Koch In, Roca & Cooper Out

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 pm Hate that term.

No team in the same league should be a free hit.

Such a defeatist doff your cap attitude
I have to be honest, I use that term, not in a defeatest way, merely a pragmatic view of where we are against the money boys, also gives me greater pleasure when we get points out of our "free-hit" games :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Manchester Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread - McKennie & Koch In, Roca & Cooper Out

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:16 pm I have to be honest, I use that term, not in a defeatest way, merely a pragmatic view of where we are against the money boys, also gives me greater pleasure when we get points out of our "free-hit" games :tup:
Fair enough

Just reminds me of being a lower league team

Plucky underdogs in a cup competition.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:36 pm Fair enough

Just reminds me of being a lower league team

Plucky underdogs in a cup competition.
Just what we are tbh, plucky underdogs in a PL cash laden competition :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:20 pm Just what we are tbh, plucky underdogs in a PL cash laden competition :tup:
Underdogs?

Underdogs?????

Leeds we are.

Name says it all.

As soon as the opposition hear we are playing them they write their game off as a free hit.

That's how good we are and always will be.

We had Don Revie and then we had Wilko and after that we had um.... erm well you know what I mean, and our sense of self importance carries us high above the rest of the scummers who have been winning Champions League, have day trips to Wembley on an annual basis and even have soft seats with leg room in their grounds.

Pfft..

We don't need PL cash, no sireee players pay us to sign on. No wage bill

Managers the world over write letters begging to be put on a waiting list to serve.

In fact this week we proved we are so good now we don't even need a manager.

Or so it seems.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:38 pm

Underdogs?

Underdogs?????

Leeds we are.

Name says it all.

As soon as the opposition hear we are playing them they write their game off as a free hit.

We had Don Revie and then we had Wilko and after that we had um.... erm well you know what I mean, and our sense of self importance carries us high above the rest of the scummers who have been winning Champions League, have day trips to Wembley on an annual basis and even have soft seats with leg room in their grounds.

Pfft..

Managers the world over write letters begging to be put on a waiting list to serve.

Or so it seems.
:duno: Can just imagine a euro spot with no manager, that would piss off the establishment Ian :tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:43 pm :duno: Can just imagine a euro spot with no manager, that would piss off the establishment Ian :tup:
Wouldn't it?

Reminds me of the episode of HIGNFY where they replaced John Prescott with a tub of lard.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:38 pm

Underdogs?

Underdogs?????

Leeds we are.

Name says it all.

Pfft..

Or so it seems.
You do realise that we reached the UEFA Cup semi in 1999, the Champions League semi in 2000 and were 3rd in the PL in 2000-1 ?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:47 pm You do realise that we reached the UEFA Cup semi in 1999, the Champions League semi in 2000 and were 3rd in the PL in 2000-1 ?
You missed the semi of the paint cup in 2010 as well.

Hard to miss in our trophy laden past :lol:
'
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:55 pm You missed the semi of the paint cup in 2010 as well.

Hard to miss in our trophy laden past :lol:
Well why follow the club if you are so sarcastic about its history ? For some of us it's our home city club.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Manchester Utd 2-2 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Post by weasel »

A Tourist wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:08 pm Oh I fully agree on the finish and the quality. My initial impression was much the same, but, on replay, Meslier is only unsighted for a little bit when it goes around Wober. He sees the initial contact and movement, and then sees it again once its past Wober (Aaronson doesnt actually block vision.

I agree that if you take an average of EPL keepers and replicate it that itll be a goal a not insignificant percent of the time. But with every one of them seeing contact/direction and having the reach, I think most get it. Heck, Meslier himself nearly got it, just needed a stronger arm.
Always tricky to judge. I think a fair few keepers wouldn't have even moved to it. A couple might have saved it. It does look on first viewing like he should save it but for me he is unlucky that he's got to it but it glances off his arm rather than hitting him full on the arm, a couple of inches was the difference between the ball hitting him fully on the middle of his arm and being saved.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Former Leeds captain and long time employee Lucy Ward was on the Guardian podcast earlier.

She described the game as...a "free hit" for Leeds.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:17 pm Well why follow the club if you are so sarcastic about its history ? For some of us it's our home city club.
Ironic question from person whose most active topic is Marcelo Bielsa :duno:

Not sarcasm more realism. Edit. Plus a bit of fun thrown in.

While Leeds do have a heritage it isnt as I think many live in its past and the sense of entitlement that underpins so much of our expectation is cringeworthy at times.

Any why do I follow them?

Because I chose to many many years ago and you cant turn your back on your first love.

But when I'm at Elland Road I dont sing Champions of Europe :lol: :lol: :lol:

And finally I add you to ignore.
Suggest you do the same :tup:
'
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 pm It should be the epitaph on Marsch's time at Leeds. Handed an Italian international for peanuts, said he wasn't "Premier League ready"! :lol:
Did he say that? Silly, silly.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

3 people added to ignore now...

Trouble is you still see some of their posts if others respond to them.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

lufcconnor wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 am Did he say that? Silly, silly.
Yep, said he was "not Premier League ready, but he would be a long-term project".

It is one of the more damning indictments of Marsch.
hector

Post by hector »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:12 pm 3 people added to ignore now...

Trouble is you still see some of their posts if others respond to them.
Don't worry mate..... you will always see my posts :) :)

You cannot ignore mods...... :P :angel:
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Mountain wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:48 pm Yep, said he was "not Premier League ready, but he would be a long-term project".

To be fair to Jesse virtually nobody thought Gnonto was Premier League ready. It's why we were able to get him for $3.5M. And having watched him in the U21's I can tell you he wasn't ready. But when he got his chance due to injuries to other players he seized it. He raised his level once in the first team. And Jesse was smart enough to see the talent and keep giving him opportunities.

There are a LOT of things we can dump on Jesse Marsch for. But offering that early assessment of Gnonto is not one of them. That's just piling on with the benefit of hindsight.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:19 pm To be fair to Jesse virtually nobody thought Gnonto was Premier League ready. It's why we were able to get him for $3.5M. And having watched him in the U21's I can tell you he wasn't ready. But when he got his chance due to injuries to other players he seized it. He raised his level once in the first team. And Jesse was smart enough to see the talent and keep giving him opportunities.
He had played 4 times for Italy, twice against Germany.

I don't know the full Italian international that is not ready for Southampton.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

hector wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:07 pm Don't worry mate..... you will always see my posts :) :)

You cannot ignore mods...... :P :angel:
The omnipotent presence of the mods... :shock:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Mountain wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:48 pm Yep, said he was "not Premier League ready, but he would be a long-term project".

Really? Was it some other coach, then, that inserted Gnonto into the starting lineup?

The indictment of Marsch is two wins from seventeen. Couldn't allow that to go on.