Allardyce: "I'm Not Antiquated, I'm as Good as Guardiola"

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

News Article Allardyce: "I'm Not Antiquated, I'm as Good as Guardiola"

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Sam Allardyce, the new Leeds United manager, has opened up about his surprise appointment in a press conference ahead of their crucial match against Manchester City. The seasoned manager admitted that he wouldn't be here if he hadn't missed the game. The sudden nature of his appointment and the responsibility of trying to save a club of Leeds' stature from the drop is certainly not lost on him.

"It was a shock at this time of the season," he said. "There's been a lot of manager changes, which is the most in the history of the Premier League. I thought it was all over for me this season. But when the call came, I had only a couple of minutes to say yes. The situation required us to rush the entire process so that I could be here for at least a reasonable lead into Man City."

Despite the daunting challenge ahead, Allardyce remains optimistic and committed. "To try and save this club and keep it in the Premier League is a big responsibility and a big challenge," he said. "But it's one I'm prepared to take because of who Leeds are."

Allardyce recognizes the magnitude of his task, especially given the number of games left this season. He stressed the importance of getting points on the board and, above all, shoring up the defence. "If they are to stay in the Premier League, they need to stop conceding the amount of goals they've been conceding," he said. "The first benefit is to stop the goals going in, and the second benefit is you might get more opportunities to score more goals."

Despite the pressure of his new role, Allardyce remains focused on building a strong team dynamic and installing confidence in his players. He has already had a meeting with the squad and is impressed by their positive attitude. "First impressions are that they are desperate to do better and that of course needs a bit of support and guidance, and breeding a bit of confidence," he said.

As he prepares for his first match in charge, Allardyce acknowledges that it won't be easy, but he is ready to take on the challenge. "The team is no good without the fans," he said. "What I have to do is install the confidence in the players to entertain the fans to cheer them on. We have to give them something to cheer."

In a bold statement Allardyce didn't hold back in expressing his confidence in his own abilities. The 68-year-old, often criticized for his old-school tactics, asserted that he was far from antiquated and that nobody in the football world was ahead of him in terms depth of knowledge. He even went as far as to say he was up there with this weekends opponent Pep Guardiola. Allardyce's words may be seen by some as arrogant, but they certainly add an interesting dynamic to the upcoming match against one of the best teams in football.

Allardyce's appointment may not have been one Leeds fans would have welcomed with open arms at the start of the season but his confidence is certainly infectious. The next month will certainly be interesting!
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Allardyce: "I'm Not Antiquated, I'm as Good as Guardiola"

Post by Clitheroe White »

Interesting month to say the least.

My levels of optimism have risen from zero after Bournemouth, to a feint glimmer...and for that alone we should get behind him and go out fighting.

My anger sits with the board who led us to this totally avoidable position all starting about two years ago when they were clearly plotting to replace Bielsa (with Marsch).