Championship Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Championship Thread

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm Leicester haven't been top of the form table between 1 matchday till the current one since matchday 9.

They have spent much more time out of the top 2 form wise since then than in it.

They've limped to promotion which is even more annoying.
Just to stir the pot who is the best manager out of Poundland Pep & DF?
Your man PP has secured a PL return. Maybe DF will.
But who is best?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 pm Just to stir the pot who is the best manager out of Poundland Pep & DF?
Your man PP has secured a PL return. Maybe DF will.
But who is best?
Think both have massive question marks above them at the top level.

But Poundland Pep I suppose?

He's had 1 Championship season and finished 1st so.

Farke in his 1st season finished 14th.

Can't even complain about the budget because the Norwich wage bill for his 1st season was the highest ever reported by a Championship club (Norwich had parachute payments back then).

So Maresca presumably even though even Leicester fans aren't convinced.

But hard to say until we see his 1st Premier league season.

Kompany did better than both of them in this league with less money and look how he's struggling in the Prem (admittedly still not as much as DF did).
the-simpsons-throw.gif
the-simpsons-throw.gif (189.18 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 pm Think both have massive question marks above them at the top level.

But Poundland Pep I suppose?

He's had 1 Championship season and finished 1st so.

Farke in his 1st season finished 14th.

Can't even complain about the budget because the Norwich wage bill for his 1st season was the highest ever reported by a Championship club (Norwich had parachute payments back then).

So Maresca presumably even though even Leicester fans aren't convinced.

But hard to say until we see his 1st Premier league season.

Kompany did better than both of them in this league with less money and look how he's struggling in the Prem.
It’s interesting that Farke has totally owned McKenna and to a lesser extent Maresca. I say to a lesser extent as I still believe we were somewhat fortunate at ER but at his gaff I’d say that is possibly our best performance of the season tactically & performance wise.
And we beat Ipswich deservedly twice 8-3 on aggregate.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm It’s interesting that Farke has totally owned McKenna and to a lesser extent Maresca. I say to a lesser extent as I still believe we were somewhat fortunate at ER but at his gaff I’d say that is possibly our best performance of the season tactically & performance wise.
And we beat Ipswich deservedly twice 8-3 on aggregate.
I'd agree I think Leicester away was tactically DF's best performance of the season, he got it spot on. Was very impressed with him that night.

Pressed Leicester High early on and really rattled them, they never really recovered and we deservedly won.

2nd was more lucky but we take it, it does beg the question why we have been so passive and standoffish away from home recently and at various times this season though? When we showed we can really rattle the eventual league winners why not Continue that trend (even if you eventually want to sit back)?

Think McKenna simply fell into the trap MB did at times in the Premier League (and Farke himself 1st season Norwich got promoted).

Thinking he could go toe to toe with us when it was clear that we had man for man much much better players.

It's brave but it's naive I suppose? It could work but it more often than not won't?

I think when opponents are more evenly matched player wise it does become more of a manager battle?

Tactics and what not.

DF showed that vs Leicester especially tbf to him but then Martin got him vs Southampton so swings around.

Now your turn.

Whose a better manager at this moment? Farke or McKenna?
Signed

King Cjay

BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

An interesting piece on the dreams and realities of the Premier League v. The Championship.

https://www.football365.com/news/leeds- ... -nicholson

Maybe not getting promoted isn't all bad.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BobHirst wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:50 am An interesting piece on the dreams and realities of the Premier League v. The Championship.

A good read that Bob :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

BobHirst wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:50 am An interesting piece on the dreams and realities of the Premier League v. The Championship.

Very sad, however also very true 👍
Johnthewhite
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Johnthewhite »

Ti's what happens when money takes control of something ☹️
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

As I've mentioned previously.

It's a vicious circle!

The likes of Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham & Brighton have proved its not bad in the PL if you get it right.

If we are promoted, I'm hoping we have a more progressive & ambitious management than was the case previously.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

To be brutally honest Ipswich deserve automatic promotion, they've only lost 6 games all season compared to our 11 (so far).
It sticks in my throat to say that but it's a fact.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm I'd agree I think Leicester away was tactically DF's best performance of the season, he got it spot on. Was very impressed with him that night.

Pressed Leicester High early on and really rattled them, they never really recovered and we deservedly won.

2nd was more lucky but we take it, it does beg the question why we have been so passive and standoffish away from home recently and at various times this season though? When we showed we can really rattle the eventual league winners why not Continue that trend (even if you eventually want to sit back)?

Think McKenna simply fell into the trap MB did at times in the Premier League (and Farke himself 1st season Norwich got promoted).

Thinking he could go toe to toe with us when it was clear that we had man for man much much better players.

It's brave but it's naive I suppose? It could work but it more often than not won't?

I think when opponents are more evenly matched player wise it does become more of a manager battle?

Tactics and what not.

DF showed that vs Leicester especially tbf to him but then Martin got him vs Southampton so swings around.

Now your turn.

Whose a better manager at this moment? Farke or McKenna?
ATM Probably McKenna as his lows have tended not to be damaging defeats at least in recent games under maximum pressure.
And his subs generally seem to work although that’s from very limited viewings.
However that naivety that you mentioned will get him fried in the PL even allowing for incoming players.
Still he’s done an amazing job.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I agree with those who say Ipswich deserve to go up. Their biggest asset for me is that leg biter Sam Morsy . I wish we had somebody that nasty in our middle. Thing is though, he’s 32, and I don’t think he’ll go down well in the prem.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

18 goals & 2 assists in 34 appearances for Jamie Vardy this season.

That's what a top side should be getting from their No.9.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:20 am ATM Probably McKenna as his lows have tended not to be damaging defeats at least in recent games under maximum pressure.
And his subs generally seem to work although that’s from very limited viewings.
However that naivety that you mentioned will get him fried in the PL even allowing for incoming players.
Still he’s done an amazing job.
Would be very interesting to see how he'd cope in the Premier League.

Actually thinking about it would be very interesting to see how they all cope, Maresca, Martin, Farke and Mckenna.

All could struggle.

Could it be the ones best suited to the league are Actually the less pretty style ones like Corberan and Wagner :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 am I agree with those who say Ipswich deserve to go up. Their biggest asset for me is that leg biter Sam Morsy . I wish we had somebody that nasty in our middle. Thing is though, he’s 32, and I don’t think he’ll go down well in the prem.
Don’t say that to Clacton White. He hates the Tractors and Suffolk in general :roflmao:
Spear throwing knuckle draggers he called us Suffolk dwellers :shock:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:42 pm Don’t say that to Clacton White. He hates the Tractors and Suffolk in general :roflmao:
Spear throwing knuckle draggers he called us Suffolk dwellers :shock:
I do like that Clacton White, he has such a wonderful way with words. Jeez, I hope he never finds out I live in Scotland.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:42 pm I do like that Clacton White, he has such a wonderful way with words. Jeez, I hope he never finds out I live in Scotland.
Don’t mention where you live Pike.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 am 18 goals & 2 assists in 34 appearances for Jamie Vardy this season.

That's what a top side should be getting from their No.9.
Whats wrong with a CF making thoughtful runs and missing sitters ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:01 pm Would be very interesting to see how he'd cope in the Premier League.

Actually thinking about it would be very interesting to see how they all cope, Maresca, Martin, Farke and Mckenna.

All could struggle.

Could it be the ones best suited to the league are Actually the less pretty style ones like Corberan and Wagner :duno:
It’ll be 3 of those 4 I reckon but will it be us?
No idea tbh.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Absolutely fair play Ipswich (unless a miracle)

Fraction of the budget.

Better to watch, better coached, far far braver.

Now just for Ipswich vs Udders on Saturday
tickle-dog.gif
tickle-dog.gif (1.35 MiB) Viewed 596 times
Signed

King Cjay