Karl Darlow

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Karl Darlow

Post by Cjay »

Graham and Phil reporting we are close to signing number 2.

Permanent deal for Newcastle and former Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

32 year old 2016/2017 Championship winning number 1 with Newcastle.

Spent 2 years as number 1 at Nottingham Forest when he broke through in his early 20s.

Was then number 1 at Newcastle when they won promotion.

Since then has been largely a backup goalkeeper except for sharing number 1 duties for Newcastle when they finished 12th in the Premier League a few years ago and earned a lot of praise from Newcastle fans.

An OK if unspectacular loan with Hull last season.

Decent enough reputation.

But the concern of course is he has been a backup for some time which imo is always a bit of a worry.

Last edited by Cjay on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Re: Karl Darlow- Transfer close

Post by mentalcase »

Still a good keeper KD, rated very highly but lost his place to 2 very good keepers after injury.
If we get good money for Mes to invest then why not, it's plain Mes wants to leave but, are there any takers ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Spotty
Youth Team
Youth Team

Karl Darlow

Post by Spotty »

Your getting a great keeper in Darlow people. You Tube " Darlow save v Rotherham ". Breath taking. Wish we'd kept him at Newcastle, outstanding keeper you've got.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Karl Darlow

Post by Barlow Boy »

Spotty wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:10 pm Your getting a great keeper in Darlow people. You Tube " Darlow save v Rotherham ". Breath taking. Wish we'd kept him at Newcastle, outstanding keeper you've got.
There’s already a thread for him mate, you might want to post in here (or perhaps one the Mods could merge your post).

viewtopic.php?t=45196
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not a done deal yet
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:33 pm Not a done deal yet
No, but he's left the US tour early with Newcastle.

He doesn't usually get it wrong.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 15.14.02.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 15.14.02.png (35.1 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

He's a better all round keeper than Les Mes, i haven't seen him with his feet, but i'll be happy if he can use them better than Mes which i doubt.

I have no idea of our financial situation, but if it's like Bert had to do and raise his own money, then something like 20m would be handy.

Bert lightened the load on Mes and told him to make himself available to receive the ball when he could if the defence were trying to bring it out, it's around that time that daft money was being spoke about for him.

Again it all depends on DF's tactics - I think he's going possession based from the back, i'm happy with Darlow as a keeper but have no idea about his football ability.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

It's a meh for me.

Know many of our fans like him fair enough.

But if its any more than a couple of million then it's poor

Really don't like goalies who've reached there 30s as mainly backups

Much prefer to go for an outstanding goalie from the Championship last season for example.

But it's movement I suppose.
Signed

King Cjay

The Fish
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by The Fish »

Good 'keeper, good bloke, good transfer for you I think.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:49 pm It's a meh for me.

Much prefer to go for an outstanding goalie from the Championship last season for example.

I don't think Darlow will be a back-up
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Nothing on the Leeds official website, but Wikipedia has him as playing for us so must be official. 🙄
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:05 pm I don't think Darlow will be a back-up
No I meant I don't like signing goalies who've been mainly backups there whole career.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Fish wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 pm Good 'keeper, good bloke, good transfer for you I think.
Always thought Darlow was decent.

Thank you, Fish. :tup:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:49 pm
It's a meh for me.

Everything seems meh to you at the moment Cjay. The situation we are in is meh thanks to irresponsible useless twots! But we have to start re-building somewhere. The club has been very badly let down by ownership, management and players. Most people I've read rate Darlow. We ain't in a position like Manure who have shelled out millions on a keeper......well not yet anyway. I think we are just gonna have to accept a slow build as some on here have said that they would rather build slower with the right players who want to play for us rather than sign 4/5 players who couldn't give a toss....look where that got us!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:26 pm No I meant I don't like signing goalies who've been mainly backups there whole career.
I reckon Darlow has been a bit unfortunate over the years. Goalies generally mature with age, KD is a reliable type who would probably organise our defenders in front of him.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:32 pm Everything seems meh to you at the moment Cjay. The situation we are in is meh thanks to irresponsible useless twots! But we have to start re-building somewhere. The club has been very badly let down by ownership, management and players. Most people I've read rate Darlow. We ain't in a position like Manure who have shelled out millions on a keeper......well not yet anyway. I think we are just gonna have to accept a slow build as some on here have said that they would rather build slower with the right players who want to play for us rather than sign 4/5 players who couldn't give a toss....look where that got us!
A lady talking sense as usual :fshr:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:32 pm Everything seems meh to you at the moment Cjay. The situation we are in is meh thanks to irresponsible useless twots! But we have to start re-building somewhere. The club has been very badly let down by ownership, management and players. Most people I've read rate Darlow. We ain't in a position like Manure who have shelled out millions on a keeper......well not yet anyway. I think we are just gonna have to accept a slow build as some on here have said that they would rather build slower with the right players who want to play for us rather than sign 4/5 players who couldn't give a toss....look where that got us!
I said nice things about Ampadu :)

Just not keen on Darlow is all.
Signed

King Cjay

pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

looks like £7-8 Million for Darlow, lets hope we can get £25-30 Million for Mes. Chelsea are said to be looking for a new keeper.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

pjm2019 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:27 pm looks like £7-8 Million for Darlow, lets hope we can get £25-30 Million for Mes. Chelsea are said to be looking for a new keeper.
That’s crazy money for Meslier for me, but then again football is absolutely bonkers when it comes to money.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:37 pm A lady talking sense as usual :fshr:
Thank You 64 :)