Become a site contributor for the new season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Re: Become a site contributor for the new season

Post by hector »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:36 pm Hope that means more to others than it does to me :oops: :oops: :oops:
Basically........... it means, Adam is not off to the Maldives on our money......
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:25 pm For the forum to function we need a few things:

Domain names e.g. motforum.com and motforum.co.uk. We’ve got four domain names in total which all need renewing each year.

Hosting. The servers which host the site and our databases. We have enterprise level hosting to guarantee the uptime we need and to be able to cope with the peaks in demand when there is breaking news or the match day threads. The site uses quite a lot of database connections which means we’ve had to upgrade the hosting as we’ve got busier over the years.

Backup storage. The site is backed up four times a day by our host but we have additional cloud storage to retain backups of the site unless anything happens to our host.

Forum software. The software we use, phpbb, is free but the template we use is based on a paid for template which was paid for and we pay maintenance for.

IFTTT. This app allows us to to run applets which post our forum topics and news stories to Twitter and Facebook. We used to be able to get away with the free version until Elon bought Twitter. Now he charges for API access so we have to pay for the Pro version of IFTTT.

Random costs. Thinks like new smilie libraries, bits of code to add functionality or bring the site up to date may need licensing.

The ads have generally covered costs over the years but despite the site getting busier, ad revenues have gone down. That’s the market. You’ll see that from the YEP website where you get about 100 ads just to read one article. They seem to have sharply dipped to bee the last 12 months and where we used to aim for around £2 per day, it’s around 25-40% of that now. Introducing pop-up or interstitial ads would increase ad revenue again but they are fairly impacting on the browsing experience.
I'm none the wiser but thanks :tup:

No just jesting, thank fck there's no adverts popping up here there an everywhere, drives me absolutely fcking nuts that does, especially when you go to a newspaper like the YEP, so it's well worth it yet again for me to keep them fckers away.

Fingers crossed my adblocker seems to work fine here.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:36 pm Hope that means more to others than it does to me :oops: :oops: :oops:
:tup: Same here BB :roflmao: , but i do get the gist, i think :duno:

I can imagine now, and it'd be a shame to see the site go down now we're all in love.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:50 am :tup: Same here BB :roflmao: , but i do get the gist, i think :duno:

I can imagine now, and it'd be a shame to see the site go down now we're all in love.
I don’t even get the gist to be honest Kenny, but as long as someone does.

The ad free thing is great, buy my mind does occasionally wander to think of those Russian Ladies, Ladies Of A Certain Age and Ladies In My Area and hope that they are all ok :duno:
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:41 am I don’t even get the gist to be honest Kenny, but as long as someone does.

The ad free thing is great, buy my mind does occasionally wander to think of those Russian Ladies, Ladies Of A Certain Age and Ladies In My Area and hope that they are all ok :duno:
Whats i been a missin !! :shock:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:46 am Whats i been a missin !! :shock:
Some of my ads tended to be of the adult dating variety, more so of the ageing lady.

I know some of these things replicate your search history etc, but I can 100% confirm that I’m happily married, my wife has 3 very big brothers who I wouldn’t want to upset and I’ve never joined a dating agency in my life.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:07 pm Some of my ads tended to be of the adult dating variety, more so of the ageing lady.

I know some of these things replicate your search history etc, but I can 100% confirm that I’m happily married, my wife has 3 very big brothers who I wouldn’t want to upset and I’ve never joined a dating agency in my life.
Sara, Swannie what's you two been up to huh ?

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:07 pm Some of my ads tended to be of the adult dating variety, more so of the ageing lady.

It’s fair to say you make a lot of mistakes Kev.
Is it possible you joined a dating agency by mistake whilst trying to put £5 ew on a nag at Bet365. Or was it £10 win, I forget tbh.
😂
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:49 pm It’s fair to say you make a lot of mistakes Kev.
Is it possible you joined a dating agency by mistake whilst trying to put £5 ew on a nag at Bet365. Or was it £10 win, I forget tbh.
😂
‘a lot’ might be a bit harsh JD, but I’m not covering myself in glory lately that is for sure :)

As I say, my wife has 3 very big brothers, even merely joining a dating site would see me spending time alongside my dad in hospital. Thinking about that though, it would save an enormous amount of petrol and parking charges :duno:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:35 pm ‘a lot’ might be a bit harsh JD, but I’m not covering myself in glory lately that is for sure :)

As I say, my wife has 3 very big brothers, even merely joining a dating site would see me spending time alongside my dad in hospital. Thinking about that though, it would save an enormous amount of petrol and parking charges :duno:
I was just exaggerating for comic effect. Anyway I have absolutely no idea what your original mistake was. A technicality or something.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:41 pm I was just exaggerating for comic effect. Anyway I have absolutely no idea what your original mistake was. A technicality or something.
and it shall remain a mystery :)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Hey Adam i've got a good idea, an idea that will lead me to contribute a lot more money in the future if it can happen.

You know how you can 'mute' people you don't want to see their posts yes ?

Is there any way that i can stop people seeing mine, maybe some sort of way that i can only talk to a certain group of posters ?

So any fcker i have absolutely no interest in whatsover, i can just click on them as a 'foe' from the list of members and my post doesn't show up to them ?

;@)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Great idea from Benny, maybe just mute himself or create his own forum echo chamber.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:22 pm Great idea from Benny, maybe just mute himself or create his own forum echo chamber.
You'd be first on the list champ :tup:

No need.

;@)
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

1964white wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:07 pm Thank you one & all :tup:
64, I seem to be having the same problem Sara had- I keep getting taken back to PayPal, when I want to contribute using debit or credit.
As I'm in Canada, I'd prefer to use Visa or MC - is that possible - if so, how do I get around the PayPal option?
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:51 pm 64, I seem to be having the same problem Sara had- I keep getting taken back to PayPal, when I want to contribute using debit or credit.
As I'm in Canada, I'd prefer to use Visa or MC - is that possible - if so, how do I get around the PayPal option?

Hi Malcolm, I'll drop you a DM
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Ok there/ thier is much I can bring to this site
If you let pigeons breed for 3 generations they will all go blue like there/their relatives the rock doves
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

liggy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:17 am Ok there/ thier is much I can bring to this site
If you let pigeons breed for 3 generations they will all go blue like there/their relatives the rock doves
Just seen this.
Classic Liggy 😂😂