Gigs (not that one!)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Gigs (not that one!)

Post by Sara »

On behalf of White Riot.

Who have you seen lately?
Last edited by Sara on Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gigs

Post by Sara »

Vieux Farka Touré - Manchester Canvas, 20th May

Son of Ali. African guitar playing, rocked up - one of the best guitarists I can remember seeing. Lovely chap, too, staying around chatting to people for ages afterwards.

Support band were really good, but I can't remember their name, and haven't managed to find it out since. Female Afghan singer with a jazzy psychedelic band.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Last time I saw Gigs he was beating a woman up.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Tinariwen - Birmingham O2 Institute, 19th July

African dessert blues, love their sound and rhythms, and always go to see them when they're about.

Crappy venue though, with a really boomy, saturated sound that spoilt it somewhat.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:45 am Last time I saw Gigs he was beating a woman up.
Yeah, not that one.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Femi Kuti - Manchester Band On The Wall, 29th July

13 piece band, incredible music and performance.

Overall gig experience, being Manchester on a Saturday night, was crap though. Pilled up Mancs mouthing off constantly, chucking beer everywhere. FK repeatedly told them to f**k off, and that it has been much better playing in Leeds. Thought it was going to kick off.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Devil's Henchmen - Yewstock Festival

They play every year, and are always the standout, just proper, heads down metal. First saw them when they were fourteen.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Cult in Halifax a couple of weeks ago.
Halifax piece hall gets loads of old bands on now, madness, tom jones, kaiser chiefs etc, cracking venue.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:45 am Last time I saw Gigs he was beating a woman up.
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Nile Rodgers Chic at Bridlington last week

The gorgeous band The Delines at Pocklington, last summer. I'd travel the breath of the country to see them again, unfortunately they have toured Europe this year & are just about to perform a set of gigs in Australia. Please come back to the UK, you beautiful people.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a band live or who it was. It must be the best part of 30 years.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:51 am Femi Kuti - Manchester Band On The Wall, 29th July

13 piece band, incredible music and performance.

Overall gig experience, being Manchester on a Saturday night, was crap though. Pilled up Mancs mouthing off constantly, chucking beer everywhere. FK repeatedly told them to f**k off, and that it has been much better playing in Leeds. Thought it was going to kick off.
Sounds like Leeds fans at away matches :(
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:55 am The Cult in Halifax a couple of weeks ago.
Halifax piece hall gets loads of old bands on now, madness, tom jones, kaiser chiefs etc, cracking venue.
Heard somebody else mention that venue favourably. On the look out for smaller venues with decent music... getting tired of the big, lairy places.

Saw King Hannah at Nottingham Rough Trade last year, in front of about eighty people. Gig perfection!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:10 am Sounds like Leeds fans at away matches :(
Worse, because of the accent!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sara wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:48 am Tinariwen - Birmingham O2 Institute, 19th July

African dessert blues, love their sound and rhythms, and always go to see them when they're about.

Crappy venue though, with a really boomy, saturated sound that spoilt it somewhat.
Good band, Sara. I own a couple of their albums, I suspect they would be colourful on stage.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:08 am Nile Rodgers Chic at Bridlington last week

The gorgeous band The Delines at Pocklington, last summer. I'd travel the breath of the country to see them again, unfortunately they have toured Europe this year & are just about to perform a set of gigs in Australia. Please come back to the UK, you beautiful people.
Richmond Fontaine are some of my fondest gig memories. Tiny intimate venues, leaning on the stage. Seen them at the Whitworth Institute, Darley Dale, Bedford Corn Exchange, and Esquires.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Sara wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:12 am Heard somebody else mention that venue favourably. On the look out for smaller venues with decent music... getting tired of the big, lairy places.

Saw King Hannah at Nottingham Rough Trade last year, in front of about eighty people. Gig perfection!
The Piece Hall is open air, a bit like an Italian plaza.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Sara wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:12 am Heard somebody else mention that venue favourably. On the look out for smaller venues with decent music... getting tired of the big, lairy places.

The venue of the Piece hall is the big draw at the moment, oldest existing cloth hall in the world (certainly britain) look it up sara.
The acoustics are excellent.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:13 am Good band, Sara. I own a couple of their albums, I suspect they would be colourful on stage.
They turn up in full desert regalia.

Had a pre-gig curry with them once.

Hypnotic rhythms that you can dance to, but which are impossible to count out.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:18 am The venue of the Piece hall is the big draw at the moment, oldest existing cloth hall in the world (certainly britain) look it up sara.
The acoustics are excellent.
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. Also like Hebden Trades Club and Cambridge Corn Exchange.