Joel Piroe

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Joel Piroe

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:12 pm Minutes per goal - Bamford 146 mins

Minutes per goal - Piroe 221 mins

So Paddy wins that one important factor.
Not letting this go are you :lol:

14/15 Bamford Championship player of the year season.

2825 Minutes 17 goals 5 assists

Goal every 166 minutes
Goal contribution every 128 minutes.

Bamford 17/18 season 1st back in Championship with Boro.

2082 minutes 11 goals 1 assist.

Goal every 189 minutes
Goal contribution every 173 minutes.

Bamford 18/19 1st season with us.

1361 minutes 9 goals 2 assists

Goal every 151 minutes
Contribution every 123 minutes.

Bamford 19/20 season

3459 minutes 16 goals 4 assists
Goal every 216 minutes
Contribution every 172.

Those teams finished 4th, 5th, 3rd, 1st (average position of 3.25)

Overall record.
9227 minutes.
Goal every 183
Goal contribution every 149 minutes.

Joel Piroe 21/22

3491 minutes 22 goals 6 assists
Goal every 158 minutes
Contribution every 124.

Joel Piroe 22/23
3801 minutes 19 goals 2 assists
Goal every 200 minutes
Contribution every 181.

Those teams finished 15th and 10th (average of 12.5)

Overall record
7292 minutes
Goal every 177 minutes
Contribution every 148 minutes.

Piroe was playing for a team far weaker as well and as Phil points out in his article, Paddy has never exceeded his xG and barely matched it (generally scores less than he should).

Piroe exceeded his by 9 in season 1 and matched in 2.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:30 pm I have absolutely no problem in the slightest with Piroe, but for me PB is currently our best for the lone role, especially with Rutter just behind.
Perhaps so.

But I hope we show patience with Piroe.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:15 pm Bamford was struggling with injuries & form then, now we are seeing the Paddy that served us well in our first season back in the Premier League.
Ah so fine to slag him off when he is injured and/or out of form. But now he is doing well it's a good job the manager didn't listen to you and get rid. Sort of like ditching a girlfired cos she wouldn't give you a blowie, she then gives your best mate a blowie and you call her a sl*g.

(I think Jaydog might like that one)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:50 pm Ah so fine to slag him off when he is injured and/or out of form. But now he is doing well it's a good job the manager didn't listen to you and get rid. Sort of like ditching a girlfired cos she wouldn't give you a blowie, she then gives your best mate a blowie and you call her a sl*g.

(I think Jaydog might like that one)
IMG_8732.jpeg
IMG_8732.jpeg (115.73 KiB) Viewed 613 times
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For me Piroe has suffered because we hae been trying to work out the Rutter cunundrum most of the season. We tried Rutter in the 9, using Piroe's general experience to play in the deeper role. We were trying to get the best out of Rutter, Farke obviously saw something in Rutter which most of us hadn't really seen. As such Piroe hasn't really been played in a role to bring the best out of him but has played a role to help the team out. Bamford has come back in and basically is a no.9. Can't really play him in a deeper role. So Bamford has come back and played in his familiar role as it also worked out well with the decision to try Rutter in the deeper role.

I do think Bamford fits the system we are playing now better than Piroe but do expect over time the misses to increase, sadly that has always been a flaw in Bamford's game. If Piroe is on the bench though hopefully he can have a positive impact from it and can use his ability to find space and his quick feet well against tired defences.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:55 pmIMG_8732.jpeg
You tugging yourself off over a photo of Gary Lineker?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:06 pm You tugging yourself off over a photo of Gary Lineker?
No. I’m his love child. Hence the ears.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:34 pm I think as I said it is important to remember it took Bamford by his own admission 12 months playing under Bielsa and 2 pre seasons (the 2nd one very intense) to be able to do what Bielsa wanted.

Does Piroe have the fitness levels for Farke? Possibly not, same as Bamford didn't for Bielsa at first.

But as I pointed out before, Pukki was no great presser, he gave the impression of one as he was nippy and ran a lot but it was mainly pointless.

Paddy is similar, it's very rare he actually wins the ball back.

As for the pressing side, I would change the dynamics.

So if it was Leicester for example, Rutter concentrated on Winks and Piroe was asked to press the two cbs.

So Hermansen passes to Faes who passes to Vestergaard and Piroe runs between them and generally Winks drops to give them a 3rd pass.

I would say to JP, "Faes is your man", if he gets the ball you press him. I would then say to Georgie you stand between Winks and Vestergaard and as soon as the pass goes to Vestergaard you leave Winks and go. At this point Winks is free but he is easier to press from Faes than it is for Piroe to run between the two cbs so you say to Piroe as soon as the pass goes to Vestergaard you go to Winks. So now you are asking Piroe to press two players but stood closer together.

So basically I'd try to make Piroe's job easier by using Georgie and his superior pace and energy.

Asking JP to press 1 cb and the midfielder who drops to provide a passing option should be easier for him than asking him to shuttle run between two cbs.

I'd also say to Georgie as soon as Winks gets the ball you race back and help Piroe, ideally this forces Winks to go back to one of the cbs and we start again. If it goes to Faes then JP leaves Winks and off he goes, Rutter takes up his half way position between Vestergaard and Winks and so on.

I'd try and ask more of the players able to do it if that makes sense.

As for how you want him to play I think it requires effort from both the tactics and Piroe.

Piroe needs to learn to play as more of a 9 again.

His instinct to drop is partly born from being asked to play deeper by various managers I'd imagine like Farke and Russell Martin and partly a desire to get involved in play.

Nothing wrong with dropping and linking and holding up, Bamford does it its part of the job.

But what JP needs reminding Is he needs to mix it up more, remind him that he is our focal point, and so we need him available for that forward pass.

I'd actually encourage Joel to speak to his idol and ex coach, Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

He had a similar issue early in his career and by his own admission saw himself as a 10.

He had to learn and adapt but he still had that 10 skills (he's unfairly remembered as a goal hanger but he got 70+ assists in his career) he was a lot more rounded than people give him credit for but like Piroe maybe not the best presser or whatever.

So I'd encourage Joel to do that and ask him how he adapted his game for the different roles.

Get Piroe to watch clips of Pukki or Bamford and things like that.

And simple instructions like you stay within 10 yards of the opposition defence, you can drift all along that line but be within 10 yard of the back line. If that means in training you get a coaching staff to stand with the defence and literally tie a rope to Piroe 10 yards long so he knows where he needs to be and can't move more then so be it.

If as can happen one of the cbs goes off on a run at present Piroe has to run back with them. I'd stop that. 10 yards from the back line, if one of the cbs goes further its no longer your problem, you let him go. If a midfielder is within the 10 yards he is your man, if he isn't don't worry about it.

And as a club we can help by getting the ball forward quicker maybe so JP doesn't feel as inclined to drop.

But largely I think coaching can fix the issue, most of what JP does is instinct from playing deeper, it just needs training out of him a bit and his responsibility changing somewhat off the ball.

It all takes time, Piroe hasn't had that yet.

But if you look at his youth videos he's much more 9 like so it isn't that he can't do it.
Aside from looking a few pounds lighter, Cjay, you're right that in his youth video Piroe looks more like the #9 I think people want him to be on a more regular basis. When they don't see that, but see Paddy doing more traditional nine-like things, then it makes the differences stand out even more.

You also make a very valid point regarding the fact that even up to Bamford's recent resurgence, Piroe was still being asked to play the #10 position, or even the more hybrid #9/#10, when he and Rutter would occasionally shift spots. It's definitely a shift mentally and physically, but your tactical and training suggestions seem to be good ones (since I know DF regularly monitors our forum for insights and suggestions, I feel comfortable that he'll get the message). The idea of even more specific triggers for the press, especially based on who we're playing, who's playing what position (for us and them), etc. makes sense. I tend to agree that the situation calls for more training and more time.

Appreciate your thorough and detailed response - there are many here that have tactical knowledge that is far beyond mine lol so I always enjoy reading everyone's take on these things.
In Farke we trust...
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:43 pm Perhaps so.

But I hope we show patience with Piroe.
He's got to show patience with Piroe, he's ours.

Piroe has shown he can bang them in in the Championship, he sometimes comes across to me as sluggish and i wonder if he'll cut it in the Prem, yes there's no doubt he can finish, but you have to be able to do a helluva lot more than just 'finish' in the Prem.

But i've got doubts over virtually all of our team who'll be able to cut it in the Prem, and we only need a few to fail and the whole team fails.

Rodon for example might be a superstar, but if the rest aren't, he will soon start to look like a chump himself when the defence is getting battered week in week out.

Ampadu has been rejected by Chelsea, ok that's not the end for him, it doesn't mean he can't make it work under another manager at a different club, but it's a concern and doubt, the same goes for ALL the rest, Rutter can dance now, but dya think he's gonna be able to dance in the Prem and lose possession all the time ? Jimmy has defenders standing off him in the Championship giving him all the time in the world, he won't get that in the Prem that's for sure, i could go on about Gruev, Pascal, DJ, Kamara etc etc etc and the likes of Firpo haven't a chance at all coz we'll most likely every other week be under the cosh.

He has built a team and bought players to get a job done here, players that could have some potential and literally on a budget, we just don't know yet.

And if he manages to get the finish Bert got first time, i'll be equally amazed as i was with Bert.

I was feckin dreading getting hammered by Liverpool in Berts first game and all the tossers going screaming for him to be sacked, i honestly thought they would batter us.

Klopp said "WOW" - That in itself should've told ALL what Bert was about with those bob standard average Championship shite he got us promoted with........

Oooops sorry, i'm off on one again.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

And look at this this morning, now this is a manager that can fck around around with £100m players and not make it work..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68408092

Bert worked wonders on KP, why can the so called best manager in the world do nothing with KP huh ?

What luxury did Bert have ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The luxury of the clown finding em.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:37 am He's got to show patience with Piroe, he's ours.

Piroe has shown he can bang them in in the Championship, he sometimes comes across to me as sluggish and i wonder if he'll cut it in the Prem, yes there's no doubt he can finish, but you have to be able to do a helluva lot more than just 'finish' in the Prem.

But i've got doubts over virtually all of our team who'll be able to cut it in the Prem, and we only need a few to fail and the whole team fails.

Rodon for example might be a superstar, but if the rest aren't, he will soon start to look like a chump himself when the defence is getting battered week in week out.

Ampadu has been rejected by Chelsea, ok that's not the end for him, it doesn't mean he can't make it work under another manager at a different club, but it's a concern and doubt, the same goes for ALL the rest, Rutter can dance now, but dya think he's gonna be able to dance in the Prem and lose possession all the time ? Jimmy has defenders standing off him in the Championship giving him all the time in the world, he won't get that in the Prem that's for sure, i could go on about Gruev, Pascal, DJ, Kamara etc etc etc and the likes of Firpo haven't a chance at all coz we'll most likely every other week be under the cosh.

He has built a team and bought players to get a job done here, players that could have some potential and literally on a budget, we just don't know yet.

And if he manages to get the finish Bert got first time, i'll be equally amazed as i was with Bert.

I was feckin dreading getting hammered by Liverpool in Berts first game and all the tossers going screaming for him to be sacked, i honestly thought they would batter us.

Klopp said "WOW" - That in itself should've told ALL what Bert was about with those bob standard average Championship shite he got us promoted with........

Oooops sorry, i'm off on one again.
A couple of other fellas left Chelsea. Can't quite remember their names, there was a Kevin Brown I think and maybe a Mohammed Sellars. Hopefully someone can find out if they've done anything with their careers.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Some love for JP

Did very well when he came on, held the ball up, made some tackles, some intelligent passes, unlucky not getting an assist.

Better
Signed

King Cjay

DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:17 pm Some love for JP

Did very well when he came on, held the ball up, made some tackles, some intelligent passes, unlucky not getting an assist.

Better
I thought he played well also. We gained a measure on control again when we came on. Love Geo but sometimes the game just needs someone to play in a more measured and calculated way. Having said that some of Geo’s passes in the first half were top quality.
Ben Scooby lufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Competitions Re: Joel Piroe

Post by Ben Scooby lufc »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:29 pm I thought he played well also. We gained a measure on control again when we came on. Love Geo but sometimes the game just needs someone to play in a more measured and calculated way. Having said that some of Geo’s passes in the first half were top quality.
It's Georginio's assists which are always clever and spot on. His through balls are at times priceless :cup
I just wish he would add a little more to the score sheet. He could also soon become a fan favourite. :tup:
;-) Yeboah against Liverpool :!: :!: Crossbar and in. :love: :love:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

I just wish someone would take a bloody pop from outside the box, how many times do we need to try and walk the ball into the net. Piroe played well when he came on but he still looks short of confidence and scared to put the laces through the ball. Kamara gets into some great positions on the edge of the box but always takes an extra touch or pass and is not the only one. Archie showed against Leicester what can happen with deflections, goalkeeper parrying out, off the post etc. If Piroe nailed one 30 yards into the top corner the confidence he’d get could make a big difference to the rest of his season.
Keeping The Faith
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:28 am I just wish someone would take a bloody pop from outside the box, how many times do we need to try and walk the ball into the net. Piroe played well when he came on but he still looks short of confidence and scared to put the laces through the ball. Kamara gets into some great positions on the edge of the box but always takes an extra touch or pass and is not the only one. Archie showed against Leicester what can happen with deflections, goalkeeper parrying out, off the post etc. If Piroe nailed one 30 yards into the top corner the confidence he’d get could make a big difference to the rest of his season.
Thats exactly it, it showed against leicester, have a pop, an odd deflection is all it takes and it's in.
Why we have to bloody walk the thing in is above my pay grade.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:28 am I just wish someone would take a bloody pop from outside the box, how many times do we need to try and walk the ball into the net. Piroe played well when he came on but he still looks short of confidence and scared to put the laces through the ball. Kamara gets into some great positions on the edge of the box but always takes an extra touch or pass and is not the only one. Archie showed against Leicester what can happen with deflections, goalkeeper parrying out, off the post etc. If Piroe nailed one 30 yards into the top corner the confidence he’d get could make a big difference to the rest of his season.
The number of times I, and those around me, shout “just f**king shoot” must be in triple figures every week.

As MC says, a couple of deflections have done us no harm recently, just have a dig every now and then.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 am The number of times I, and those around me, shout “just f**king shoot” must be in triple figures every week.

As MC says, a couple of deflections have done us no harm recently, just have a dig every now and then.
Very noticeable from the kop last night, both Kamara & Piroe guilty of not shooting on sight.

Do they take any notice of us fans, sadly no!
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:34 pm Very noticeable from the kop last night, both Kamara & Piroe guilty of not shooting on sight.

Do they take any notice of us fans, sadly no!
I sort of half understand it with Kamara, but he did have one or two chances to shoot from memory, just have a go.

I won’t criticise any player having a dig, even if it hits you right up there in the gods 😁
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello