Ilia Gruev- We miss him

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ilia Gruev

Post by The Subhuman »

danhirons wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:34 am jeese one good performance and we're making video montages of him

let's wait until he's had at least a good half a season, any player can have one good game
There's a good player there but you're right... it's what the forum does. Crucifies on an off day or two, goes over the top with a couple of good games...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:34 am jeese one good performance and we're making video montages of him

let's wait until he's had at least a good half a season, any player can have one good game
Trust in Farke.

He must have seen a player in Gruev prior to bringing him to Leeds.

I doubt no one on here had heard of the Bulgarian international until arrived at ER.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

ANother good display from Gruey today. Particularly impressed with his passing as he looks to play it in front of our players so they can come onto the ball and not lose momentum. So many players pass it at their teammates feet which slows down the play as the recipient has to dig it out first. Noticeable how often Ampadu was giving him the ball when he stood between Ampadu and Rodon and was allowing Gruev to dictate play. I feel our team has a lot of confidence in Gruev's ability and think he will likely be a regular starter for the rest of the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:51 pm ANother good display from Gruey today. Particularly impressed with his passing as he looks to play it in front of our players so they can come onto the ball and not lose momentum. So many players pass it at their teammates feet which slows down the play as the recipient has to dig it out first. Noticeable how often Ampadu was giving him the ball when he stood between Ampadu and Rodon and was allowing Gruev to dictate play. I feel our team has a lot of confidence in Gruev's ability and think he will likely be a regular starter for the rest of the season.
His directness is heart-warming, when so many of our players are prepared to play the safe ball backwards & sideways, Gruev is always looking to move the ball forward.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:22 pm His directness is heart-warming, when so many of our players are prepared to play the safe ball backwards & sideways, Gruev is always looking to move the ball forward.
His part in the equaliser shouldn't be downplayed too. Got to the loose ball first, passed it on, then received it back and went past a player before playing a good forward pass.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Had a very good and effective game, I just want our midfielders to start scoring goals, I don't mean wingers either.
Kamara, Gruev need to chip in.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:51 pm ANother good display from Gruey today. Particularly impressed with his passing as he looks to play it in front of our players so they can come onto the ball and not lose momentum. So many players pass it at their teammates feet which slows down the play as the recipient has to dig it out first. Noticeable how often Ampadu was giving him the ball when he stood between Ampadu and Rodon and was allowing Gruev to dictate play. I feel our team has a lot of confidence in Gruev's ability and think he will likely be a regular starter for the rest of the season.
Not clicking with Kamara yet who's maybe had his most off key performances since Ampadu went to CB, not poor per se just not his influential self...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:22 pm His directness is heart-warming, when so many of our players are prepared to play the safe ball backwards & sideways, Gruev is always looking to move the ball forward.
As is Firpo tbf, the way to beat low block is to go over the top or round at speed..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:44 pm As is Firpo tbf, the way to beat low block is to go over the top or round at speed..
Aye, Firpo is playing more as a left sided midfielder, linking up well with Summerville.
marie67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by marie67 »

Another decent performance.
He seems very one footed which is not ideal for a central midfielder.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:31 pm His part in the equaliser shouldn't be downplayed too. Got to the loose ball first, passed it on, then received it back and went past a player before playing a good forward pass.
My first thought when wanting to see the replay of our goal was wanting to see how Gruev turned away from their player to set the pass up to whoever it was, i was thinking..." I'm sure Gruev just started that rolling"

Followed by wanting to see Jimmys shite pass again, how Firpo actually got to it before it went out, and then the cross itself was a pearler.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

marie67 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:22 pm Another decent performance.
He seems very one footed which is not ideal for a central midfielder.
Agree with the performance Marie, however I’ve just watched an edited player cam of his game vs Cardiff. That one peg of his isn’t half bad. He’s way better than those lumps we had last year.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
marie67
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by marie67 »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm Agree with the performance Marie, however I’ve just watched an edited player cam of his game vs Cardiff. That one peg of his isn’t half bad. He’s way better than those lumps we had last year.
I agree i like him. Reminds me a bit of Scott Parker the way he moves to get the ball on his better foot.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Liam Brady only ever used his right foot to stand on…., if Gruev is half as good he’ll do for me
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:26 pm Liam Brady only ever used his right foot to stand on…., if Gruev is half as good he’ll do for me
Would be brilliant if Gruev achieves close to Brady's level :tup:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

marie67 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:23 pm I agree i like him. Reminds me a bit of Scott Parker the way he moves to get the ball on his better foot.
Only not as well dressed 😀
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

When i switched the game on after about 15-20mins i thought preston were controlling the midfield, admittedly Kamara was caught in possession a couple of times which didn't help. He sits in well if the CB's decide to carry the ball forward. Still unsure personally whether him & Kamara will be creative enough for what we need in midfield. So far ok tho.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:57 pm When i switched the game on after about 15-20mins i thought preston were controlling the midfield, admittedly Kamara was caught in possession a couple of times which didn't help. He sits in well if the CB's decide to carry the ball forward. Still unsure personally whether him & Kamara will be creative enough for what we need in midfield. So far ok tho.
I think the way we play will mean that we will often be outnumbered in midfield. With the full backs bombing forward then it means 1 midfielder has to sit deeper meaning we only have 1 central midfield covering a very large area.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Putting in work...

Source: https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1749488 ... eds-united
In Farke we trust...
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:28 pm I think the way we play will mean that we will often be outnumbered in midfield. With the full backs bombing forward then it means 1 midfielder has to sit deeper meaning we only have 1 central midfield covering a very large area.
Sounds like an impossible job. I know Gorgi is dropping deep but he's more interested in the flicks and tricks then the defensive stuff often losing the ball in the process. With him tho i wouldn't have it any other way personally but i think Glen needs a medal.