Southampton 3-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Southampton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:44 pm Interested by two points from Farke. Not verbatim.
1. After the Watford win he wasn’t going to drop anyone. They deserved to play again.
2. He didn’t change it at ht today as they deserved a chance to redeem themselves.
Contradictory views.
Also it’s not about dropping people and more about picking the best team for the job.
A proactive manager would certainly have changed things at HT.
Agree Jay, sending that XI out for the second-half was a joke!

I suppose the damage was done!

Unfortunately, all managers have their favourites!
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:40 pm Agree there is a small sample size so the eye test is more of what I’m leaning on. But the Millwall game was a perfect case as James came on in the 69th minute and gave us a spark that led to two goals. One of which he assisted.

I’ve just come back from my daughter’s “soccer” game, and listened to the One Leeds and The View commentaries on the match during the ride back. Connor of One Leeds, particularly, was making the same point I was making regarding James being more effective as a super sub against tired legs and that he is too “wasteful”. He also sees Anthony as a better, “less wasteful” player that should be starting. I mean, he was an EPL starter a couple of weeks ago…
Anthony has yet to start a game and has come on against tired legs. But he should be in the team simply to see if he can be a more consistent option at delivering the set piece. We seem to be cursed on that issue.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:10 pm No backers
Everton has been attempting to find financial backers to build its new stadium for years – eventually hiring the US investment bank JP Morgan and Japan’s largest bank, MUFG, to help raise the £500m required in January 2020.

Despite those two financial institutions searching for funds, financial backing has still to be secured almost three years on – and Everton has chosen an unorthodox route to start construction..

The Guardian understands that if the stadium is not finished, Everton is obliged to pay to return Bramley-Moore Dock to the condition in which it found it. Experts suggested that such a bill could run to tens – if not hundreds – of millions of pounds. Everton said it was highly improbable it would have to pay those costs and declined to disclose its current estimate of this liability. 😁
😆
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Re: Southampton 3-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Just got a chance to watch the game. Many of us suspected that this would be a tough one on the road. It turned out to be just that. But we didn't help ourselves with the selection. Our defense looked completely unbalanced with Struijk/Cooper. Pascal had a pretty decent game but the pairing just doesn't work. For me it's gotta be Rodon/Struijk. With Cresswell/Cooper as the back ups. Our distribution out of the back was all messed up today.

I really didn't have a quarrel with the rest of the team selection. Based on early results Summerville and James are the wide players. I didn't like the performance from Piroe today. Georginio fed him twice and he was not able to score. He didn't put his stamp on the game in any way.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cjay wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:32 pm Personally I think the lack of a press was the problem from the very start.

It should have been what we did from minute 1 as anyone whose analysed Southampton recently would see they are vulnerable and low on confidence.

2 of the 3 goals started at the goalie and they passed through us because our press was poor.

For whatever reason Farke same as Ipswich instructed the players to lay off the press.

We got away with it vs Ipswich but today we didn't.

Farke needs to look at himself for today.
And I'm sure he will - he's that sort of manager.
But we are going to have games like this - we need to focus on having fewer of them.
It's like what makes a good golfer become a great golfer - being able to put 4 good rounds together in a row.

Today was poor - no doubt. But in addition to the manager, every single player has to look in the mirror.
I feel it's time to accept Cooper and Ayling cannot be starters anymore.
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:13 pm Geronimo will be putting on his silk sock having got a reply.
I am taking on a secretary next week, my phone can't deal with my poster bag on a daily basis 😆
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:22 pm That is nonsense in the extreme.
We shall see, all this talk of promotion being a bonus this season and going up next year is the nonsense, the board know that this year is the chance, next season there will need to be deep cuts and if promotion isn’t looking likely under Farke they won’t hesitate to change.
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:14 pm We shall see, all this talk of promotion being a bonus this season and going up next year is the nonsense, the board know that this year is the chance, next season there will need to be deep cuts and if promotion isn’t looking likely under Farke they won’t hesitate to change.
Here don't say that fella, you will get slaughtered on here you will be called negative a doomonger and every name under the sun 😁
We are gonna storm this league after Christmas after been twenty points behind Leicester with our third manager in charge, all our best players sold or injured and rise back to the very top under our magnificent new owners 😆
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

WhiteRose wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:14 pm We shall see, all this talk of promotion being a bonus this season and going up next year is the nonsense, the board know that this year is the chance, next season there will need to be deep cuts and if promotion isn’t looking likely under Farke they won’t hesitate to change.
There is absolutely no logic in what you're saying here. No team in the chaos we were in after last season reasonably expects to go up the next year.

And to say that Farke will be gone by Christmas if we're not in touch with the top 2 is equally ludicrous, given how he's turned things around. This is not moron Marsh we are talking about.

However, I realize I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

geronimo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:24 pm Here don't say that fella, you will get slaughtered on here you will be called negative a doomonger and every name under the sun 😁
We are gonna storm this league after Christmas after been twenty points behind Leicester with our third manager in charge, all our best players sold or injured and rise back to the very top under our magnificent new owners 😆
Its OK if you disagree with me Ger - I cant force you to be right.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:35 pm Just got a chance to watch the game. Many of us suspected that this would be a tough one on the road. It turned out to be just that. But we didn't help ourselves with the selection. Our defense looked completely unbalanced with Struijk/Cooper. Pascal had a pretty decent game but the pairing just doesn't work. For me it's gotta be Rodon/Struijk. With Cresswell/Cooper as the back ups. Our distribution out of the back was all messed up today.

I really didn't have a quarrel with the rest of the team selection. Based on early results Summerville and James are the wide players. I didn't like the performance from Piroe today. Georginio fed him twice and he was not able to score. He didn't put his stamp on the game in any way.
Yip, spot on Paul, I said last week it was Watford that hadn't done their homework on us, Soton obviously had.

It wasn't the case we were 'brilliant' against Watford, Watford were just terrible and didn't exploit us.

This is the first time i've been troubled by DF's decision making and need to see how he responds v QPR, Soton fcked us by going 4-3-3 and there were quite a number of things that he could've addressed in this game but didn't.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to see what he does on Wednesday night, but if other teams have any sense now, they'll watch how Soton fcked us over, and i'm not going to say we were better second half coz Soton just sat back.

There was a lot in this game to bring everyone back down to earth after Watford, i went straight to cash my bet out only to see it had dropped from £96 to £76, then looked at our next 2 fixtures at home v QPR and Bristol City, so i've let it ride, but my finger is 100% on the trigger after the Soton game, in fact i'll most likely be cashing out even if we win both.

I need to see DF's response to about 5/6 things i wasn't happy with, like i said, this is the first time he has worried me, i won't slate him because it's one game and he was totally caught on the hop, but his response on Weds does matter.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
hector

Post by hector »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:35 am Yip, spot on Paul, I said last week it was Watford that hadn't done their homework on us, Soton obviously had.

It wasn't the case we were 'brilliant' against Watford, Watford were just terrible and didn't exploit us.

This is the first time i've been troubled by DF's decision making and need to see how he responds v QPR, Soton fcked us by going 4-3-3 and there were quite a number of things that he could've addressed in this game but didn't.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to see what he does on Wednesday night, but if other teams have any sense now, they'll watch how Soton fcked us over, and i'm not going to say we were better second half coz Soton just sat back.

There was a lot in this game to bring everyone back down to earth after Watford, i went straight to cash my bet out only to see it had dropped from £96 to £76, then looked at our next 2 fixtures at home v QPR and Bristol City, so i've let it ride, but my finger is 100% on the trigger after the Soton game, in fact i'll most likely be cashing out even if we win both.

I need to see DF's response to about 5/6 things i wasn't happy with, like i said, this is the first time he has worried me, i won't slate him because it's one game and he was totally caught on the hop, but his response on Weds does matter.
I find myself agreeing with this...... :shock: :shock: :) :)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I think i'm right in saying DF has commented on players 'taking their chance' if they end up in the team via whatever route.

Now i do agree with that to a certain extent, because you can't tell your players one thing then do another, but when you've a clear reason like the CH situation, then that's where the manager has to exert control.

I'm thinking the 3-0 v Watford gave him the grace to select the same team, but Watford were terrible and he should know that, and our CH's were very lucky to come out of that game looking to have performed ok, they did not perform good at all as i said at the time.

I'm also not saying that 'just' playing Rodon and Pascal yesterday would've fixed everything, because i'm not sure it would.

Like i've said, i need to see his response v QPR, a number of changes need to be done, but he surprised the fck out of me yesterday from start to finish.

Ok, benefit of the doubt to him coz he went with the same team after beating Watford 3-0 at home in what looked like a walk in the park, but i don't think that game was 'all that'........so let's see what he does next, coz he had that one in hand as an excuse for yesterdays performance.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

malcolmw wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:39 am There is absolutely no logic in what you're saying here. No team in the chaos we were in after last season reasonably expects to go up the next year.

And to say that Farke will be gone by Christmas if we're not in touch with the top 2 is equally ludicrous, given how he's turned things around. This is not moron Marsh we are talking about.

However, I realize I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
The board will absolutely be expecting us to be promoted this season it would be ludicrous to think otherwise - despite the departures we kept some decent players by turning down big offers and brought in more at significant expense for a championship club, you don’t do that if your happy to finish with the also rans - it’s fair enough to accept mediocrity but some of us believe in this squad and see it as capable of winning the league. Hopefully Farke will see out the season and manage us in the prem next year.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

geronimo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:24 pm
This is an example of fecetious hyperbole, making exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken seriously or literally... being flippant in an attempt to be humorous.

But as they say, from your mouth to God's ears😁
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:48 am This is an example of fecetious hyperbole, making exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken seriously or literally... being flippant in an attempt to be humorous.

I would guess he has some traumas & stresses that he’s dealing with and it comes out in toxic & negative behaviour. My dad was like that. Everything was negative. He absolutely hated enjoying himself.
He also loved winding people up. A classic narcissist
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

As far as I’m concerned we were just beaten by a better team on the day, simple as that. We huffed and puffed a bit in the second half but it was too late by then and Southampton were still in control of the game. Had we scored a second with 10 or so minutes to go, it could have been interesting, but we didn’t and the game just petered out with them being comfortable in defence.

I believe we are better than a lot of teams in this league and, hopefully, will be challenging for a play off spot this season and, after the last two years, that’s ok with me.
BlancdeBlanc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BlancdeBlanc »

In pre-season, Farke made Wober his captain so he should hopefully be able to look at the Cooper/Ayling captaincy situation objectively if they aren’t delivering what he needs at this point, rather than past glories. Both should be bench players in my opinion, or played against less pacy teams as they are too slow now. They could still be cheerleaders in the dressing room but we should be looking forward.
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:48 am This is an example of fecetious hyperbole, making exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken seriously or literally... being flippant in an attempt to be humorous.

I suppose when I turn the tables it ain't funny still they always say what comes around goes around 😆
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:34 am I would guess he has some traumas & stresses that he’s dealing with and it comes out in toxic & negative behaviour. My dad was like that. Everything was negative. He absolutely hated enjoying himself.
He also loved winding people up. A classic narcissist
Another surprising statement. 😆