Leeds Utd v Queens Park Rangers Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Queens Park Rangers Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Wednesday 4th October 7:45pm |Elland Road

Leeds Manager Daniel Farke has some tough decisions to make ahead of the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Wednesday evening. The Leeds gaffer was widely criticised for not recalling Joe Rodon back to the starting line up at St Mary's, opting instead to keep faith with the same XI that had beaten Watford the week before, including that of Liam Cooper.

The Whites had been unbeaten in six games prior to their trip to St Mary's, and will be looking for an instance response, against a team with only two points from their previous four games. Their 3-1 home defeat to Coventry City last weekend saw them slip to 22nd in the Championship.

QPR are expected to be without Welsh International left-back Morgan Fox, who sustained a knee injury last weekend. Jake Clarke-Salter stands by to replace him. Jimmy Dunne is fit again after injury and could start for Gareth Ainsworth's men. Jack Colback is available for selection having served a three game ban after seeing red v Sunderland. Sinclair Armstrong could replace Lyndon Dykes up front.

Djed Spence, Wilfred Gnonto, Junior Firpo and Stuart Dallas are all ruled out for Leeds, but Patrick Bamford could be due some more minutes, after his cameo role at the weekend. Archie Gray is pushing for a return to the first XI, which could see Glen Kamara drop to the bench. Jaidon Anthony has impressed during his four substitute appearances, and could replace Dan James on the wing.
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Queens Park Rangers Match Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’d be staggered if Rodon doesn’t come back in, who he partners is open to question although for me he has got to be Struijk who was, pretty much, the only shining light from that debacle on Saturday.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:05 am I’d be staggered if Rodon doesn’t come back in, who he partners is open to question although for me he has got to be Struijk who was, pretty much, the only shining light from that debacle on Saturday.
Agree. And I think Archie has to start in place if Kamara.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Barlow Boy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:05 am I’d be staggered if Rodon doesn’t come back in, who he partners is open to question although for me he has got to be Struijk who was, pretty much, the only shining light from that debacle on Saturday.
Has to be that CB combination, both have been brilliant & the best pairing by a country mile.

If you see me with my fuming hat on prior to the game, you'll know Farke has had another wobbler!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:36 pm Has to be that CB combination, both have been brilliant & the best pairing by a country mile.

If you see me with my fuming hat on prior to the game, you'll know Farke has had another wobbler!
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

malcolmw wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:27 pm Agree. And I think Archie has to start in place if Kamara.
Same. Rodon for Cooper. Gray for Kamara. Would be tempted to give Anthony a start too.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

If Rodon doesn't come back in tonight - then it's a bigger dressing room problem we've got.

Because if DF thinks that PS and LC together is fine, then we're fcked, and so is he - in the head.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:51 am If Rodon doesn't come back in tonight - then it's a bigger dressing room problem we've got.

Because if DF thinks that PS and LC together is fine, then we're fcked, and so is he - in the head.
I really don’t see Rodon being left out again, as you say it would suggest an issue has developed.

Punishing a player for a sending off is one thing, punishing the team as a whole for an ongoing period is quite another.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cooper would probably cope against the hoops, as I don't think their attack is that quick.

Rodon & Ampadu are automatics, imo!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

90% sure Rodon starts, I think the decision to start Struijk or Cooper is 50/50 though

Kamara would be unlucky to be dropped, I don't think the result would have been different had Gray started and we'd be saying drop him instead now. As CJay said, Kamara ended up playing more left side for no good reason other than that was his instruction.

Anthony for James makes sense, we'd get Cry on his natural side and a good deliverer of a dead ball and a good finisher to boot on the left
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

For me at the moment the must starts are

Rodon
Struijk
Ampadu
Rutter
Piroe
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I've pm'd my bummer friend to hopefully come back for toneets game :tup:

No need.

If he's as gay as i think he is, he'll be back.

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

A chance to bounce back with a decent performance.
QPR seem stronger away from home so we will need to be watchful.

Will Farke ring the changes?

Some conundrums.

Byram cant play three in a week so does he rest tonight.
Kamara is not sharp yet due to him missing pre season, does he play ahead of Amapadu who imo will struggle to play both games ahead of the Nat break. ( of course he then goes on Wales duty which will not help our cause one bit)
Summerville has been bitty so does he step out to allow Anthony come in or is it James?

So Shacks to left back to allow Ayling to come in on the right?
Gray to partner Kamara? ( Fans wont like it) But Kamara needs minutes. Gray deserves not to miss out again. The Bulgarian bloke needs inserted into the action too.

Rutter and Piroe are a sure start as are Rodon, Struijk and Mes.

Bamford to play 30 minutes to build up his fitness.

Personally I would go 3 -2-2 3-1 but DF doesnt seem to change the shape
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Weasel's always done this. He disappears for a while but, all things being equal, he'll be back at some point. He's been banned before so it's not that
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We mullered QPR the last time we played them at ER.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 12.07.06.png

Leeds United returned to the summit of the Championship table with a hard-fought home victory over Queens Park Rangers.

Tyler Roberts put the hosts in front before half-time, slotting in from the edge of the box after being teed up by Jack Harrison.

Harrison then capitalised on a mix-up in the QPR back line to fire home and make the game safe in the final 10 minutes.

Marcelo Bielsa's men are top of the league on goal difference, although Preston North End and West Bromwich Albion could both go back above them with wins during the next 48 hours.

Despite controlling the match for long periods, Leeds were again left nurturing a slender one-goal advantage until Harrison eventually ended the contest with his first goal since the opening weekend of the season.

His strike also meant the Whites scored more than once in a home game for the first time in 2019-20, having now mustered just 19 in 15 league matches - the joint fewest in the top half of the table.

Mateusz Klich volleyed over and Patrick Bamford was denied by a last-ditch challenge from QPR debutant Lee Wallace even before Roberts netted on his first start of the season.

Bamford, who has not scored since 24 August, had a goal ruled out for offside after the break and missed a further chance from six yards out.

The result consigned Rangers to a second consecutive defeat and left Mark Warburton's side ninth.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 12.10.10.png
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:46 am A chance to bounce back with a decent performance.
QPR seem stronger away from home so we will need to be watchful.

Will Farke ring the changes?

Some conundrums.

Byram cant play three in a week so does he rest tonight.
Kamara is not sharp yet due to him missing pre season, does he play ahead of Amapadu who imo will struggle to play both games ahead of the Nat break. ( of course he then goes on Wales duty which will not help our cause one bit)
Summerville has been bitty so does he step out to allow Anthony come in or is it James?

So Shacks to left back to allow Ayling to come in on the right?
Gray to partner Kamara? ( Fans wont like it) But Kamara needs minutes. Gray deserves not to miss out again. The Bulgarian bloke needs inserted into the action too.

Rutter and Piroe are a sure start as are Rodon, Struijk and Mes.

Bamford to play 30 minutes to build up his fitness.

Personally I would go 3 -2-2 3-1 but DF doesnt seem to change the shape
With regard to Byram, Hjelde wasn't in the U21's squad the other night so maybe he is line for a start? More likely is Ayling is brought back in and Shackleton moves over to the left if they decide to rest Sam.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Away table.
No room for complacency.
QPR have been far better away than at home.
Mind you lost 4-0 at Watford :shock:

IMG_7829.jpeg
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

We need three or four wins
on the bounce minimum winning tonight ain't gonna make a lot of difference while the teams at the top keep winning
Consistency gets promotion not win draw lose simply drop too many points
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:35 am With regard to Byram, Hjelde wasn't in the U21's squad the other night so maybe he is line for a start? More likely is Ayling is brought back in and Shackleton moves over to the left if they decide to rest Sam.
I hope not, Chilli.

Hjelde has been poor in the games he's featured this season, a bit of a liability imo!
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Got a ticket in the South Stand tonight, last time I was in there was the infamous pre season friendly v Sampdoria.