Leeds Utd 2-1 Bristol City - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd 2-1 Bristol City - Post Match Debate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 7th October 3:00pm | Elland Road

Bristol City are the visitors to Elland Road on Saturday, as Leeds look to consolidate their play off position going into the International break. The Robins are perched five places below the Whites, but only a solitary point separates the two teams. Nigel Pearson's men have had some good results on the road already this season, having won at Millwall, Swansea and more recently Rotherham, but face a disciplined Leeds side who have conceded just once at home in the last 360 minutes.

Leeds will be without Djed Spence, Junior Firpo, Stuart Dallas, and Wilfred Gnonto and also will not risk Jaidon Anthony after turning his ankle in the first half of Wednesday nights one - nil victory against Queens Park Rangers. Dan James steps in.

Joe Rodon keeps his place in central defence, this time alongside Ethan Ampadu with Pascal Struijk and Sam Byram in the two wing-back slots. Daniel Farke has decided to start 17 year old Archie Gray for two consecutive matches in three days along side Glen Kamara. Patrick Bamford isn't far away from full fitness. He was given a 30 minute run out midweek, and will be hoping for more game time at the weekend. He holds a good record against the Robins, scoring twice in his last three matches against them.

Leeds have completed the double of Bristol City twice in recent times (2018/19 and 2019/20). Most recently Luke Ayling (February 2020) netted the only goal of the game, against the club Leeds had bought him from for £200,000 back in 2016. Bristol City have only beaten Leeds once in their last sixteen games, though Manager Nigel Pearson is somewhat of a jinx as far as Leeds are concerned. He is unbeaten in nine of his eleven matches that he has been involved in.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Bristol City Match Thread

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Couple of changes from the QPR game

Byram and Anthony. Word was that Anthony would miss this game. And that's fine. Dan James to start. When asked about Byram for the QPR game, Farke said that the turn around for the Bristol City game would be more of an issue as only 2 rest days. But no word on what happened to Shackleton. Not sure we have another left back to cover. Would be surprised to see Strujik or Hjelde play there.

Bamford probably set for more of the same. 30+ minutes

I'd play Archie Gray again. Use Kamara in those tougher away days and dog fights.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:30 am Couple of changes from the QPR game

Byram and Anthony. Word was that Anthony would miss this game. And that's fine. Dan James to start. When asked about Byram for the QPR game, Farke said that the turn around for the Bristol City game would be more of an issue as only 2 rest days. But no word on what happened to Shackleton. Not sure we have another left back to cover. Would be surprised to see Strujik or Hjelde play there.

Bamford probably set for more of the same. 30+ minutes

I'd play Archie Gray again. Use Kamara in those tougher away days and dog fights.
Shackleton injured his shoulder in training mate.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Looks like we may be close to getting back Spence and Gnonto after the international break, which will make teams selection even more fun for Farke

7 good forwards vying for 3/4 spots
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It's finding the right balance that's the problem, i'm sure DF already knows and Piroe would be the first to admit, that he isn't comfortable in his current role, and Rutter is currently playing what we'd consider the 9 role, and who i feel is the most flexible out of the 3 we have, so...

To me, although i don't feel Piroe's been given a crack at it yet (there must be a reason for that) PB is our best in this 9 lone role when fit, but who are the 3 behind ?

I'm struggling with our balance atm and so is DF, and it's with the 4 players in front of the 4-2, i'm looking forward to see how he works it out, because up to now, what with injuries etc, he's not really had this problem and we've perhaps just thrown 4 up there under instructions, so what's our best 3-1 forward line, or is it really a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4 ?

I think i can safely say that : Ayling/Spence - Rodon - Pascal/LC - Byram.... and the defence is ok from that, with Shack thrown in as cover.

Gray - Ampadu....Has been working fine, and we've yet to see what Kamara or Gruev add to that.

It's these next 3 that's bugging me, and also the lone role, and how and where to get his best game out of Piroe.

I'd love to know his instructions to the 4 he puts out, but obviously i'm not privy to that....Jeez i'm wandering all over the place here..

Fck it, it's twatting my head trying to work it out and type it out, and i'm off for some brekky... :idea:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Do we have an issue with Piroe like we did with Rodrigo, not knowing his best position ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:46 am Do we have an issue with Piroe like we did with Rodrigo, not knowing his best position ?
Given his stats over the last couple of seasons and the fact that he looks like a natural goalscorer, irrespective of whether we term him a 9 or a 10, it's a conundrum that DF needs to work out sharpish. I'm not advocating building a team around him, but that front 4 should be set up to get the best from Joel. Putting Rutter in the 10 role looks the obvious solution to me, but then I'm not calling the shots. Nor would I want to!!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I would like to see Piroe tried upfront with Rutter behind him, although to be fair their positions seem to have been interchangeable up to now anyway. Piroe was fairly anonymous against QPR but I think his strength is simply being in the right place at the right time in the 18/6 yard box as the situation dictates, and scoring with tap ins. Rutter is more creative and can offer the supply that Piroe would thrive on.

What about Gruev? He seems to be the forgotten man! I know very little about him and don’t know whether he was brought in purely as cover on the bench or whether he was seen as a regular starter at some point. So far, it would appear to be the former but I would like to see what he may be capable of sometime soon.

Come on Leeds!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:46 am Do we have an issue with Piroe like we did with Rodrigo, not knowing his best position ?
I think we know his best position, it's just Farke want's to use him like Swansea did ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:15 am I would like to see Piroe tried upfront with Rutter behind him, although to be fair their positions seem to have been interchangeable up to now anyway. Piroe was fairly anonymous against QPR but I think his strength is simply being in the right place at the right time in the 18/6 yard box as the situation dictates, and scoring with tap ins. Rutter is more creative and can offer the supply that Piroe would thrive on.

What about Gruev? He seems to be the forgotten man! I know very little about him and don’t know whether he was brought in purely as cover on the bench or whether he was seen as a regular starter at some point. So far, it would appear to be the former but I would like to see what he may be capable of sometime soon.

Come on Leeds!
Someone has to miss out, atm he's our Kalvin Phillips. I'm not sure I even know his position or syle of play. I'm informed it's a DMF but is that a Kalvin DMF or a Ampadu DMF or is it a Adams DMF. All three of those could be called DMF's but none are alike.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

I'm not sure it's like that, but it's similar i suppose, but Piroe's more of a team player.

I wish i'd seen more of Piroe before he joined us, as i know fck all about him and have never seen him, i just knew the name and that's all.

Where did he play and in what formation ?

I feel he's a striker, but can't put himself about as much as PB in a lone role, Rutter does put himself about and i feel that's why DF's got him up there and not Piroe atm, but i think PB is better than Rutter in that role, Rutter could go to the right, but must then help out getting back, Anthony seems ok on the left at tracking back, and then Piroe in the 10 role whilst that would be battering most teams, isn't the right role for Piroe.

It's all because we haven't got an out and out 10, and fitting them all in and where is a conundrum to me.

Anyhows, it's his feckin problem, i'll just sit back and judge 8-)
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:15 am I would like to see Piroe tried upfront with Rutter behind him, although to be fair their positions seem to have been interchangeable up to now anyway. Piroe was fairly anonymous against QPR but I think his strength is simply being in the right place at the right time in the 18/6 yard box as the situation dictates, and scoring with tap ins. Rutter is more creative and can offer the supply that Piroe would thrive on.

Come on Leeds!
I've also been thinking of this, and that underlined bit.

That's what seems to be happening, that's why i wish i was privy to his instructions to both and the other two.

Because it's alright that, coz defenders not knowing who's popping up where drives them daft, especially if they get it off to a tee, Rutter drags players out of position and Piroe nips into the space.

Look at the build up to the QPR goal and the space for Jimmy to run into whilst receiving the ball from Rutter who's nowhere the middle and passing it from the left into space and the runner, mixing it up works, and we have got a selection of scorers, so summert's right somewhere lol.

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I reckon we will see something like this. Its not what I would do though.

Gray for Kamara may be a tweak but Bristol seem to stick to a 4-3-3 setup which of course gives them the extra MF like last week away at SH. Of course that allows us to stretch the play both long and wide.

So can Shacks and Ayling support the wide men and cause overloads?

On Piroe, he seems to struggle when tighly marked and in this instance I reckon switching him and Rutter would work better for us, especially if we plan to utilise the wings. Rutter has the physicallity and ball control to drop deeper and link up with the MF and allow Piroe the freedom to roam.

Ironically Bamford is a better fit in DFs set up but Piroe is the better finisher.
Attachments
Bristol.png
Bristol.png (174.96 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:34 am I reckon we will see something like this. Its not what I would do though.

Gray for Kamara may be a tweak but Bristol seem to stick to a 4-3-3 setup which of course gives them the extra MF like last week away at SH. Of course that allows us to stretch the play both long and wide.

On Piroe, he seems to struggle when tighly marked and in this instance I reckon switching him and Rutter would work better for us, especially if we plan to utilise the wings. Rutter has the physicallity and ball control to drop deeper and link up with the MF and allow Piroe the freedom to roam.

Ironically Bamford is a better fit in DFs set up but Piroe is the better finisher.
Shackleton is still out mate, so it will probably be Byram in that lineup.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Maybe its because we have (arguably) the best attacking line outside the PL, and DF is unsure just yet how to deal with them, ie, keeping everyone happy, Rutter is pacey and tricky and is a nightmare for the opposition, Piroe is best ghosting in to finish chances created, bamford can do neither and should be best as an impact sub other than injury or suspension, only mho like.
Then we have Summerville, James, Gnonto & Poveda all vying for wing spots then we have Joe Gelhardt desperate for a chance that won't come.
All over the field , attack , midfield, defence and goalkeeper, we have options and quality back-up,
it's nice to have so many options for a change, headache for the boss, but a nice headache at least.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

From the Beeb...

Farke gave a long and definitive answer on the conundrum about whether to play Joel Piroe as number nine over Georginio Rutter, Patrick, Bamford, Joe Gelhardt and Mateo Joseph: "I’m a big believer in playing players in their best position, but that means all of the players want to play in the same position. I’ve won this league twice and I know what’s required. When it comes to strikers, I know my business."

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

From the Beeb...

Farke gave a long and definitive answer on the conundrum about whether to play Joel Piroe as number nine over Georginio Rutter, Patrick, Bamford, Joe Gelhardt and Mateo Joseph: "I’m a big believer in playing players in their best position, but that means all of the players want to play in the same position. I’ve won this league twice and I know what’s required. When it comes to strikers, I know my business."

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Wow, so good he said it twice.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:34 am I reckon we will see something like this. Its not what I would do though.

Well he's got trouble coming again then, it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

With 2 weeks off coming, i can't see him tinkering at all apart from the players with 'knocks' but i think you'll find Anthony has 'shook' he's off coz he's keen to play, Bygum as well.

Same team i think.

;@)
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

mentalcase wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:11 pm Wow, so good he said it twice.
😆 probably got sticky fingers with the fifty posts a day he makes 😁