Stoke City v Leeds Utd - Post match discussion

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Scott
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by Scott »

We can't really do a lot about Ipswich and Leicester, maybe they'll both get 100+ points, maybe they'll slow down - but the way the team played tonight, that's a concern, even if Bamford scored the penalty and we go on to win, we would still be saying played poorly got 3 points - we also got lucky against Norwich, we were outplayed against Southampton, we couldn't break down the worst side in this division.

We have the players to bounce back and forget this result, we know Farke sides typical improve as the season wears on - but there are concerns and hopefully the team will answer them and make those concerns look foolish. Its not doom and gloom, I know we have the ability to win 10 in a row or something like that, but until the do, I'm worried.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Gruev starts as Farke makes three changes

Post by whiteinfrance »

geronimo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 pm It's to do with the fact we don't ot having have a decent defence we have ayling firpo Shackleton cooper all not good enough rodon on loan and Spence on loan who ain't kicked a ball yet apart from Pascal we need a totally new defence it's a bodge up job from start to finish
Is that an actual proper sentence?
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:42 pm It’s early days JD, but I have Leicester and Ipswich up as top two, maybe we have a squeak but I can’t see it.

Play offs for us, and we don’t do them well.
Ipswich have just carried on from where they left off last season but Leicester have surely exceeded expectations. 12 wins isn’t it. They don’t know how to lose.
Always saw us as play off material. Early days though as you say.
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Barlow Boy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:42 pm It’s early days JD, but I have Leicester and Ipswich up as top two, maybe we have a squeak but I can’t see it.

Play offs for us, and we don’t do them well.
Play offs are far from a certainty plenty of teams capable of finishing above Leeds we are only in October
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 pm Is that an actual proper sentence?
It’s gone to VAR.
Decision pending.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:43 pm Struijk might be a good call for pens - he seems to have a cool head on him
Probably has best finishing percentage this season too
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:09 pm It’s gone to VAR.
Decision pending.
I think I can safely say he doesn't have an O'level/GCSE in english
Last edited by whiteinfrance on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

geronimo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:03 pm It's to do with the fact we don't haveh a decent defence we have ayling firpo Shackleton cooper all not good enough rodon on loan and Spence on loan who ain't kicked a ball yet apart from Pascal we need a totally new defence it's a bodge up job from start to finish
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I was offered a ticket for tonight's game. Glad I'm too busy to refuse & wasn't there.

At least I can go to bed at a reasonable time.

Early start tomorrow!

Nite all :sleep:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

geronimo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:13 pm
Decent effort. Still wrong though :roflmao:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:02 pm So how did he achieve 2 promotions?
Right place right time? Everything Stuart Webber touched worked? Players having seasons of there lives?

Made the point before he arrived both promotion seasons relied on a massive xG overperformance.

1 season it was far more goals scored than they should and the other was far less conceded than they should.

When that happens that isn't a manager making the diffence, that is a player, that is Krul, that is Pukki, that is Buendia.

That is a red flag as was his time at Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Us under Bielsa were the opposite, underachievers in xG, that is a manager overperformance.

That's the difference
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:16 pm Right place right time? Everything Stuart Webber touched worked? Players having seasons of there lives?

Made the point before he arrived both promotion seasons relied on a massive xG overperformance.

1 season it was far more goals scored than they should and the other was far less conceded than they should.

When that happens that isn't a manager making the diffence, that is a player, that is Krul, that is Pukki, that is Buendia.

That is a red flag as was his time at Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Us under Bielsa were the opposite, underachievers in xG, that is a manager overperformance.

That's the difference
And us bottling it too
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

geronimo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:13 pm
Wasn't the defence's fault today. Same old story, only two players capable of scoring - Piroe and Jimmy :roll:
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Leighton »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:01 pm He can have a rest after he's handed in his homework! :roflmao:
Wish he'd have been doing it tonight!
Leighton
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Leighton »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 pm I fear the gap is too wide now

Maybe Ipswich will have a collapse
I think our big squad will start to pay dividends second half of season as others falter
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:20 pm Wasn't the defence's fault today. Same old story, only two players capable of scoring - Piroe and Jimmy :roll:
Yeah but we can't defend we played Stoke tonight ain't won in seven games we play a decent side we would have got buried tonight
Clueless on set pieces and wide open down the wings
geronimo
First Team
First Team

Post by geronimo »

Jaydog wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:15 pm Decent effort. Still wrong though :roflmao:
The invisible Man typed that 😝
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ahh well, we live and learn.

If you attempt to pick another ba***rd ball up Bambi the moment we get another penalty, i will fckin shoot you before you get a chance to put your hands on it.

You feckin useless 12yd twat, the whole world and his feckin dog didn't want you anywhere near that penalty.

You couldn't score in a brothel with a £50 note tied to your dick.

You play like a feckin pansy and wonder why you get stick from the terraces, if you happen to score for LUFC again and dare to cup your ear to the crowd, i'll blow that fckin head and ear off.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

DDB220 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 pm Gnonto has just come back from injury. He is one of our best players.
You have to give Stoke credit - they just out fought us for the most part.
We will not win every game and we will lose a few more. Yet every time we lose the same old narrative’s are thrown around.

We did not take our chances and the outcome is generally like this.

I like the look of Heover.
I agree he is one of our best players. But he's not a starter for me at the moment. That's Summerville & James.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:19 pm And us bottling it too
Exactly.

If you scratched below the surface and did a bit of research then Farke had plenty of concerns raised even by Norwich fans.

For me none of those concerns have been eased in his time here.

People took to him because he spoke well and fans wanted someone to believe in after a difficult summer understandably.

But on the pitch it's been questionable at best reflected by the fact the talk is about how well Rutter has done or Ampadu or Rodon etc.

Very little talk about how well Farke has done tactically.

Compare that to Bielsa in the Championship
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom