Leeds Utd v Middlesbrough Match Thread - Farke Names Unchanged Line-up

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds Utd v Middlesbrough Match Thread - Farke Names Unchanged Line-up

Post by Boo Radley »

whiteinfrance wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:40 pm Our potential problem was always going to be injuries and/or having to overplay players

I think we suffered a bit today from the 8 games in a week.

Should be better next game after a week off.
This could become a problem with the intense schedule we've ahead. It raises the question as to why Farke doesn't at least introduce subs earlier in the games. I think Farke is right in starting our best side but you can see players flagging around the 70th minute, or even earlier, but no subs seem to considered this early.

If we didn't have the options on the bench, like last year, you'd say something but that's clearly not the case.

Spence in earlier for Gray is an obvious one to spare the young lad.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:48 pm Exactly.

Let's judge him on what he's doing, done, and is currently working with :tup:

The Prem is different gravy, and he's gonna need help and some time, this current team might just about, and i mean just, put up a bottom 6 fight.
I suspect we'd be above the likes of the current bottom six, but it's how you progress beyond that relegation zone year on year. Villa are perhaps the best example of what might've been had we got it right second season onwards.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I thought we got lucky today.

Both headed goals were deflected towards the scorers, and the pen and sending off were gifts.

However 7 out of 9 points isn't a poor return from a busy week.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:52 pm Myself and Mr 64 were watching the players warming up today, and Darlow was putting in some crosses, obviously for Meslier. He was then receiving the ball to put in another cross etc.

That lad can kick and control a ball, no problem. Yes, there’s no pressure, and it’s only a warm up, but I’d have no worries on his footwork if he was to play.
Things like that are good to know Sid, it's a welcome comment, i knew naff bart him kicking with his feet, any way hopefully we don't have to find out.

I wish every single team we play from now on would come out and play at us how Swansea and Boro have just tried, we could easily have had 6 against each, and conceded 2 or 3 tops.

My biggest gripe is he's fcking it up when the oppo's just say " go on Leeds have it, we'll just re group"
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:55 pm This could become a problem with the intense schedule we've ahead. It raises the question as to why Farke doesn't at least introduce subs earlier in the games. I think Farke is right in starting our best side but you can see players flagging around the 70th minute, or even earlier, but no subs seem to considered this early.

If we didn't have the options on the bench, like last year, you'd say something but that's clearly not the case.

The fella who stands behind me at games goes on about this all the time, and I mean all the time.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Boo Radley wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:55 pm This could become a problem with the intense schedule we've ahead. It raises the question as to why Farke doesn't at least introduce subs earlier in the games. I think Farke is right in starting our best side but you can see players flagging around the 70th minute, or even earlier, but no subs seem to considered this early.

It depends what sort of time you've got in mind Boo, these games like today and Swansea are quite easily turned with the wrong sub.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm I thought we got lucky today.

Both headed goals were deflected towards the scorers, and the pen and sending off were gifts.

I thought the same with Grays cross, it needs that kind deflection to fall on Jimmys head.

Them hitting the post was lucky anorl.

But looking at the play overall, we were well better than them for the most part and deserved the win.

Try watching a replay and perhaps watch it as a Boro fan.

Reet, i'm going lookin what their fans have to say anyhoos.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I think Boro’s post hitter was deflected. Might be wrong but if so then it’s not unlucky at all.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:19 pm I think Ipswich will fade second half of the season..
Possibly, but not so sure, the points total they have managed isn't just phenomenal for a newly promoted team it's pretty a league record.

And they are playing very decent stuff
Only thing that I think may catch up with them is the concede a lot.

They are actually a better version it seems points total wise than Farke's first promoted Norwich side.

They were like that.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm I thought we got lucky today.

The more you practice the luckier you get.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:01 pm The fella who stands behind me at games goes on about this all the time, and I mean all the time.
Well that's not me BB, I can assure you. Although there's plenty in my house could accuse me of it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is a tricky one to bring on the subs at the right time. I made a post earlier saying about the ideal scenario being that we have games under control by the 60-70 minute mark and can then makes subs to rest players. If the game isn't under control then it is very easy to make a mistake that can cost you the game - if you are behind it is easier because you bring on attacking players but if you are in front and you take someone off who is flagging a bit then you are gambling that the player coming on will get straight into the game and be able to play at the intensity of the players that have been on the pitch for the full game. Get the decision wrong and you can throw away the lead. If you are chasing the game and you make a sub and it doesn't pay off well you haven't lost anything.

Even today at 3-2 up you could say to bring on another midfielder or defender and take off an attacker. But if you do that you might lose your attacking threat and simply invite pressure on yourself.

So for me it is start with your strongest side and try to get the win in the bag and then make subs. I wouldn't have made the subs any earlier than Farke did today, I felt he got it spot on.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:18 pm Ref was sound Sid :tup: gave us our fair share of stuff
No protection from Darren (twatface) England as the Boro' bullies kicked Summerville & James, they even picked on our child, great to see Archie stand up to them.

Young Gray was pulled back on two occasions & awarded free-kicks, a few minutes later James (I think) committed a similar foul, Dopey Darren soon found his cards that time, dishing out a yellow card.

The bullies yellow card count soon went up in the second-half as Boro continued to foul anyone who was too quick for them. Shame really, as I think they are easily the best footballing side I've witnessed at ER this season, Boro caused us a lot of problems especially on the break!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

They're commenting :

The ref was shite.
Leeds played straight thru us
Leeds dictated play
Our defence (Boro's) was shite
Gray was outstanding
Jimmys a feckin handful
Leeds are a Prem team

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:13 pm I think Boro’s post hitter was deflected. Might be wrong but if so then it’s not unlucky at all.
It was deflected, lucky it wsn't deflected in was my first thought.

;@)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:17 pm Possibly, but not so sure, the points total they have managed isn't just phenomenal for a newly promoted team it's pretty a league record.

And they are playing very decent stuff

Only thing that I think may catch up with them is the concede a lot.

They are actually a better version it seems points total wise than Farke's first promoted Norwich side.

They were like that.
Comparing their points total to Farke's Norwich side in his first promotion season is a strange one as they started off really slowly (including losing 3-0 to us). If they end the season having bettered Farke's total from that season they will have done well.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:21 pm The more you practice the luckier you get.
We'd better get practising then.

It's gonna play a huge part.

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:30 pm And don’t eat toffees.
I was offered them by my good mate Allan on the coach, he shares a packet of Werther's around every game.

I refused today, I even allowed him to have my penguin out of my sandwich box :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:43 pm Hey ! Thas gonna enjoy that re run of yours i'll tell thi :tup:
I shall Kenny boy :tup:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:02 pm We'd better get practising then.

It's gonna play a huge part.
Gary Player quote.
One of the greats. Chatted to him whilst getting his autograph as a young teenager. What a nice bloke and a legend.
But a very true if tongue in cheek comment.