Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:58 am Out of sorts yesterday imo, but mission accomplished 3pts.👍
Indeed, we were MJ, nevertheless it was a comfortable victory.

The Square Ball commented you wouldn't to watch the game again. I shall watch it again later today. :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This young man gives a fair assesment of Blackburn' woes about 5mins 35secs into his video.

Didn't realise Rovers had so many players out injured, to be fair to the lad he didn't use players missing as an excuse.

He wasn't impressed with the team selection & many of their players, including the supposed star striker Sammy Szmodics.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't get all this stuff about us being out of sorts etc yesterday. People seem to want to moan all the time. Blackburn have been hitting teams on the counter attack with great success yet have had mixed results. I think Farke probably analysed what has brought them success and what hasn't and set us up to not play to Blackburn's strengths. Let them have possession at the back and let them makes mistakes. Not have us over commit and let them break against us. So guess what we had a plan B and it worked. We didn't have an off day we simply put in a professional display to lessen the risk of losing and also set traps for the opposition.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clitheroe White wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:31 pm First win in the fruit salad shirt!!

A solid win that could have easily Gone another way. 3 points away at a lively Blackburn in bloomin awful conditions is great!!
Or Rhubarb & custard comes to mind.

Apparently, we haven't won in away colours since Brentford two seasons ago. I'm gonna have to check that stat!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 am I don't get all this stuff about us being out of sorts etc yesterday. People seem to want to moan all the time. Blackburn have been hitting teams on the counter attack with great success yet have had mixed results. I think Farke probably analysed what has brought them success and what hasn't and set us up to not play to Blackburn's strengths. Let them have possession at the back and let them makes mistakes. Not have us over commit and let them break against us. So guess what we had a plan B and it worked. We didn't have an off day we simply put in a professional display to lessen the risk of losing and also set traps for the opposition.
We were comfortable without being outstanding for long periods.

I was totally relaxed for the whole of the game, generally I'm hiding behind the sofa come the final 20 minutes :lol:
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 am I don't get all this stuff about us being out of sorts etc yesterday. People seem to want to moan all the time. Blackburn have been hitting teams on the counter attack with great success yet have had mixed results. I think Farke probably analysed what has brought them success and what hasn't and set us up to not play to Blackburn's strengths. Let them have possession at the back and let them makes mistakes. Not have us over commit and let them break against us. So guess what we had a plan B and it worked. We didn't have an off day we simply put in a professional display to lessen the risk of losing and also set traps for the opposition.
Quite possible yes,

But i'm not sure we're quite good enough yet to 'control games', Blackburn had a good few chances that shouldn't have been hard to find the target, some headers were woeful. If your thoughts are correct then fair enough for trying it with all the fixtures coming up, i feel it takes us down to the oppo's level and gives them a chance.

In fact now i'm thinking of it, there was a definite difference in us when we went a goal up.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Fair comment but there was quite a few times where a promising passage of play broke down due to a poor pass or a pass to the wrong player who was then put under pressure and lost possession.
But for the most part we were fairly comfortable.
On to Sunderland.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We weren't at our best yesterday, but were comfortable, blackburn were as good a side we've laked this season along with saints and leicester, we looked a bit tired and jaded, but still had enough to win.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:26 am Or Rhubarb & custard comes to mind.

Apparently, we haven't won in away colours since Brentford two seasons ago. I'm gonna have to check that stat!!!
Seems crazy but for sure we play better in all white.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:37 pm
Around 5.20 in, watch Meslier how he deals with the corner under NO pressure whatsoever :roll:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:09 pm Around 5.20 in, watch Meslier how he deals with the corner under NO pressure whatsoever :roll:
Absolutely shocking. Makes me want to spit!
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:09 pm Around 5.20 in, watch Meslier how he deals with the corner under NO pressure whatsoever :roll:
I see what everyone means now. Ridiculous by Mes. Yes....why :dun:
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:23 pm No Ash, a sprog is a child 😁😁😁
Thanks for the assist and clarification, BB. Love to learn new vocabulary when I can :)
In Farke we trust...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:21 pm Fair comment but there was quite a few times where a promising passage of play broke down due to a poor pass or a pass to the wrong player who was then put under pressure and lost possession.
But for the most part we were fairly comfortable.
On to Sunderland.
I think that's the key comment and has been made by others. We kept them at arms length. Yes every team is gonna get a chance or two but they weren't great chances, not sure what the xg for the match was but it would probably suggest their chances weren't high probability ones. We definitely could play better in terms of passing not being great but that can happens regardless of anything, no one intentionally looks to play a bad pass.

By inviting Blackburn to attack us in a normal way (as opposed to on the counter) it meant they committed more men forward which plays in to our hands. If I recall correctly they committed a lot of men forward when we got our first goal. Archie won a tackle and we quickly moved the ball up the pitch. We sort of played them at their own game in the knowledge that with them being the home team they would have to attack us more than they would have liked to. If it had been at Elland Road then I could see the game being the opposite in terms of tactics as the onus would have been on us to attack. We have seen in our last two matches that we have started off very attack minded yet both matches been behind very quickly, if we'd done that yesterday then the game is set up perfectly for Blackburn.

I feel Farke is confident that this team can play in different ways. He has the confidence that we can go toe to toe with teams in this division and create more chances and hopefully score more goals - like we did spectacularly v Ipswich. He has then also shown that we can be more cautious and still win like we did v Leicester and yesterday against Blackburn. The key for me boils down to just 3 players being asked to play differently and those players are Kamara and the full backs. They either have license to go forward without the worry of having to get back or they are told to play more conservatively and keep shape.

I think that he has been able to implement this quite quickly as he has the benefit of a number of these players having had the influence of playing under Bielsa where we would do both the above tactics in much the same manner. We saw it, especially at championship level, that we would apply both these tactics in matches, we'd go toe to toe and steamroller the opposition stats wise but then usually only be at best a goal up. The opposition would then try to attack us more, late on in the match, as they founf themselves only a goal down and we would soak up the pressure and then hit teams on the break. Having players like Ayling, Cooper, Dallas etc around has likely helped in this despite their limited game time. It is probably like having a few coaches helping out who are all on the same wavelength. They can give tips to the other players without stepping on the manager's toes or giving them different instructions.

I see a lot of similarity between this side and the Bielsa promotion sides but do feel that this side is a lot stronger going forward than the Bielsa side was. The Bielsa side was probably better defensively but not by much.
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Sorry for missing posting yesterday--on the road to a niece's volleyball game and could barely watch the match, let alone post, for bad buffering in the VA mountains (wife driving).

FT Stats

xG*
Leeds: 1.0
Rovers: 0.68

Possession
Leeds: 46%
Rovers: 54%

Shots
Leeds: 8 total = 4 on target, 2 off target, & 2 blocked
Rovers: 12 total = 2 on target, 7 off target, & 3 blocked

*Expected goals (xG) measures the quality of a chance by calculating the likelihood that it will be scored from a particular position on the pitch during a particular phase of play.
In Farke we trust...
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:09 pm I see what everyone means now. Ridiculous by Mes. Yes....why :dun:
Absolutely no idea why swannie, had that ball dropped to an oncoming midfielder and he scored :rant: :rant:
It simply isn't good enough and the coaches need to smack it out of him before it does become costly, that punch blew our cover yesterday as I shouted at him to catch it, luckily we were fine.
But what was that all about for a so called seasoned professional !
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:26 am Or Rhubarb & custard comes to mind.

It’s even longer in the away kit, Brentford and Blackburn were the 3rd kits.
Barnsley a year before Brentford was the last win in our 2nd kit if I remember correctly.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Is that not a coaching issue?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

There's a QB issue some QB's get called seeing ghosts, maybe that's what Ilan has?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:20 pm Is that not a coaching issue?
No not at all, you should only punch it clear when in danger or can't catch it, that was pathetic, why would you concede the ball for no reason ?
No SH, that was just pure bad goalkeeping, collect the ball, take the sting off the attack, don't invite a second wave.