Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Ipswich Town Match Thread

Post by Kennyb41 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:37 pm Did anyone think there was an issue between Piroe and Summerville over the penalty?

Farke had said previously that Piroe was our penalty taker. He was standing right behind Summerville as he put the ball on the spot. Looked to me like there was a discussion over who would take it.
It pissed me right off that did, and it's feckin totally out of order.

And more to the point, why the fck did Jimmy run straight to Gnonto, i'm smelling a feckin rat with that Gnonto myself.

That flies in the feckin face of the manager that does.

Piroe looked like he was 100% down to take that penalty and it fckin stinks if Jimmy decided to take it upon himself, it was a crackin penalty, but that's not the point.

I hope to fck that Gnonto and Jimmy hadn't preplanned that, i know they've run to each other before, but there seemed to be something different in that run to get to each other this time.

Either way, if Piroe was on penalty duty, that stinks, no player has the right to demand the ball like that.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:17 pm Similar with Bielsa I think it is a case of knowing that the tactics will be successful most of the time. As also mentioned by DDB220 at some point it needs better players when facing better players. Bielsa's strongest Leeds XI, playing his way, would comfortably survive in the prem although at times would struggle against the better sides and that will be the same for Ipswich - they can play their way and generally have success against most championship sides but when the opposition players are more capable then the tactics can come unstuck. You also have the element of surprise with the tactics, for us with Bielsa in the prem season 1 and similarly for Ipswich this season. As time wears on weaknesses get spotted and can then be exploited.
Probably similar to Wilder at Blades, he had a team of by and large fairly average players that played a certain unique way and plenty of success.

Eventually though as you say unless you park the bus better players will take advantage of you.

Today I'm surprised McKenna didn't take the same route Coventry and others have vs us, plenty of poorer teams than Ipswich have completely flummoxed us by marking our front 4 out of the game and playing on the counter.

Mckenna was loyal to his system and paid the price.

On the other hand Farke did the more counter system we've seen before and had mixed results with but today it worked perfectly.

McKenna played into our hands and Farke did well tactically today.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:03 pm Spence is getting better with every game
Djed had a fine game today, his best in a Leeds shirt :tup:
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:58 pm Djed had a fine game today, his best in a Leeds shirt :tup:
Superb. He looked disappointed to be subbed
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:42 pm I think it is useful to have a bit of perspective as a bad result isn't always a result of a bad performance and similarly a good result isn't always because of a good performance. That for me is when stats can be very useful - for example if you deserve to win a game based on the stats then you are in theory doing something right and you need to work out whether the results would improve if you keep playing that way.

The Ipswich fans should be grateful for how brilliant their players have been over the last year or so. One bad performance doesn't diminish what they have achieved and if they were mid table and lost to us they would have likely not been as vitriolic to their players - it is unfair to criticise for a poor performance after massive over-achievement. This I believe was just their 3rd defeat of the season and them losing to us earlier this season hardly de-railed them. They could well bounce back and win promotion at a canter.
I genuinely believe all things being equal they have been the best team in the league this season.

They have no right to be top 2 on paper never mind officially the 2nd I think it is best performing team in Championship history at this stage.

And it isn't like they are massively over performing stats wise, yes an overperfomance but they should still be well in the playoffs based on analysis which is still a very impressive team performance.

Today an inexperienced manager lost to a more experienced one who has the benefit of a front 4 with 1 player in it who cost only 5mil less than the entire Ipswich Town club cost in 2021.

It's different levels of finance and for them to be where they are despite the result is very impressive and I still think McKenna is a fantastic young coach.

However footie fans are reactive and emotional and its a reaction you will see on forums all over the country.

People on here or the Ipswich forum are no more negative or whatever than anywhere else.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm If anything the second half has been even more dominant than the first. They've been utterly demoralized. No fire in them at all.
I said tongue in cheek to my mates around me, "Ipswich are one of the worst teams we played this season, not quite as bad as Huddersfield" :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:13 pm I'd love Joseph to get on the score sheet
Never got close.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:15 pm Rutter was awesome today.
Back to his best, didn't overplay it by attempting to do too much!
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:45 pm One of the least nerve-wracking games of the season, a breeze for us fans to be honest.

Scored all four goals at the right-time, totally killed the game off with the fourth goal from Piroe.

Restricted Ipswich to two shots.

9 out of 9 points against Leicester & Ipswich

Terrific performance :clap:
Really enjoyed it.

Don’t know about you, but I thought the atmosphere was the best we’ve had for some time. Obviously, the performance and score helped, but that was something else.

Oh, and good to see you again pal 😁
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

FFs Leeds i want to stop thinking of Ipswich i said, anyhoos, i've just stepped next door, it's quite good reading tother fans forum innit.

Reet, they seem to feel that 'Morsy and 'Lusago (summert like that) are key to them, they are both in their 30's, 1 is a booking away from a ban (Morsy)

Up to now i think 1 player is off to the Asia cup for them and their fans don't feel strong squad wise if injuries appear
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Madron wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:16 pm :clap: Well played Leif
'You're Leeds & you know you are' when he scored for us & as he walked around the perimeters of the pitch with his head down. :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:23 pm Guarantee that Preston will be setting up a ten man defensive block on Boxing Day after watching this.
Preston are known for their defensive blocks this season, James.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:16 pm He did ages ago in the Cup and then he delivered in the away leg at Bethlehem :lol:
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:17 pm Preston are known for their defensive blocks this season, James.
I was really surprised and delighted that Ipswich came out to play today Leon. No coincidence for me that we scored four goals.

If they'd followed the blueprint we'd have had a much tougher afternoon. They've gone toe to toe with us twice and got burned for eight goals.

I'm sure that plenty will have taken note of this.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:21 pm :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
Shame that our Joseph can't get in front of that donkey Bamfraud.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:45 pm One of the least nerve-wracking games of the season, a breeze for us fans to be honest.

Scored all four goals at the right-time, totally killed the game off with the fourth goal from Piroe.

Restricted Ipswich to two shots.

9 out of 9 points against Leicester & Ipswich

Terrific performance :clap:
In honesty, we kind of did the same at their place. We were 4-1 up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:31 pm :clap:

Very impressive result, performance, tactically and individually.

Very good from Farke and the players.

Ampadu, Rodon and Spence absolutely immense.

Rutter with a very unselfish and impressive performance.

Summerville brilliant

Piroe took his goal Very well and unlucky not too have had a 2nd.

James was key to exploiting the tactical weakness Farke spotted in Ipswich

And felt Gruev and Firpo were solid when they came on.

On Ipswich think McKenna got it wrong, I think a more experienced manager would have adapted and McKenna didn't.
Several of our fans weren't impressed. :lol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:50 pm It pissed me right off that did, and it's feckin totally out of order.

And more to the point, why the fck did Jimmy run straight to Gnonto, i'm smelling a feckin rat with that Gnonto myself.

That flies in the feckin face of the manager that does.

Piroe looked like he was 100% down to take that penalty and it fckin stinks if Jimmy decided to take it upon himself, it was a crackin penalty, but that's not the point.

I hope to fck that Gnonto and Jimmy hadn't preplanned that, i know they've run to each other before, but there seemed to be something different in that run to get to each other this time.

Either way, if Piroe was on penalty duty, that stinks, no player has the right to demand the ball like that.
I didn't see the rest of the build up to the penalty. Just the conversation while Summerville was putting the ball on the spot. But my read was that Piroe was the penalty taker and Jimmy picked it up and said "I'm taking this." In that case, like when Bamford fluffed his last penalty, we don't have an assertive captain on the field.

It was a cracking penalty though. And I'm now comfortable with either of the two taking them. Summerville also had a cracker in the penalty shoot out against Salford.

But, yes, the dedication to Gnonto is totally obvious. It's a little warped tbh. He's seeking out Gnonto first before any of his other team mates. It was also noticeable on the celebration that Piroe was slow to get over there. But he did wait until the rest had moved away to congratulate Jimmy. And it was the same for Piroe's goal. Jimmy stood back, waited for everyone to celebrate then went over and gave Piroe a big hug and small. It was fairly clear that they do like each other. They're both Dutch.

On the whole issue. Summerville seems like a decent dressing room guy. I do worry about Gnonto though. He does seem divisive.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:04 pm I said tongue in cheek to my mates around me, "Ipswich are one of the worst teams we played this season, not quite as bad as Huddersfield" :lol:
Well.....We did take six points from them and scored eight times.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:00 pm I genuinely believe all things being equal they have been the best team in the league this season.

They have no right to be top 2 on paper never mind officially the 2nd I think it is best performing team in Championship history at this stage.

And it isn't like they are massively over performing stats wise, yes an overperfomance but they should still be well in the playoffs based on analysis which is still a very impressive team performance.

Today an inexperienced manager lost to a more experienced one who has the benefit of a front 4 with 1 player in it who cost only 5mil less than the entire Ipswich Town club cost in 2021.

It's different levels of finance and for them to be where they are despite the result is very impressive and I still think McKenna is a fantastic young coach.

However footie fans are reactive and emotional and its a reaction you will see on forums all over the country.

People on here or the Ipswich forum are no more negative or whatever than anywhere else.
Hope he gets snapped up by the premier league very soon