West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Post by Ellandback1 »

29th December 8:15pm | The Hawthorns

Leeds head down to the Hawthorns on Friday evening knowing that only a win will be good enough to keep their hopes of automatic promotion alive. Ipswich are still sitting pretty in second place in the Championship, eight points clear of the Whites, who dropped to fourth behind Southampton, after their gut wrenching defeat at Deepdale. With two wins and three losses from their last six games, Leeds need to find some away form, and fast, if they are to mount a credible challenge for a top two finish.

Leeds drew with the Baggies in the reverse fixture back in August, courtesy of a Luke Ayling 72nd minute equaliser, but generally speaking have have been poor this season against West Midland opposition. They lost to lowly Birmingham and Stoke, and only managed a draw against Coventry a fortnight ago.

Leeds will be without Illan Meslier who starts a three match suspension after whacking Milutin Osmajić, ironically on Boxing day. Karl Darlow is likely to deputise. Jamie Shackleton (glute), Stuart Dallas (leg) and Luke Ayling (leg) remain sidelined. Though Sam Byram is fully available, with fans calling on his return at left back with Djed Spence moving over to right back following the torrid time Archie Gray had against Preston. West Brom have no fresh injury concerns.

It's three years to the day since Leeds battered West Brom back in 2020. On that day Leeds scored four goals in a rampant first-half display at The Hawthorns, but were gifted the opening goal when home midfielder Romaine Sawyers bizarrely passed into his own net from 25 yards. From that point Leeds utterly dominated. Ezgjan Alioski's crisp drive and Jack Harrison's thumping close-range finish left Albion trailing 3-0, while worryingly devoid of ideas and confidence. Rodrigo's deflected shot put Leeds 4-0 ahead before half-time - but there was no let up for the hosts after the break. Another swift attack ended in Brazilian winger Raphinha cutting inside from the right and curling beautifully into the top corner for the fifth.

New year VPN offer! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

This will be a big test.

Not just of our very dodgy away form but of Farke's ability to find a way to break down an organised team.

WBA have the 2nd best defence in the league.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Interestingly the beeb now have the Baggies lining up 4-2-3-1, whilst this earlier game in August 3-4-2-1, more recently Bartley and Mowatt have been featuring.

Our line up back in the day :
Meslier

Ayling
Rodon
Struijk
Byram

Gray
Ampadu

Shackleton
Gelhardt
James

Rutter
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

There comes an point when it becomes a must win game. And I reckon this is 1 of them loose and west bromnwill soon catch us for 4th..
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Defence
Dominant Darlow
Immence Spence
Rapturous Rodon
Pirate Pascal

Midfield
Smart Archie
Do you Ampadu
See farther Kamara

Attack
Give it a twirl Summerville
Give it a go Piroe
Act like a nutter Rutter (in a good way)
Put them to shame James
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Baggies forum has a stathead moaning about their inconsistencies, who'd thunk dat.

I've got an horrible feeling my recent chats about the Slenderman being good with his feet and due a c**k up, is gonna come true but with Darlow.

They're also worried about Townsend at LB, i'm 99% certain Gnonto starts tonight, got to be right one day, according to the stats.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:53 pm There comes an point when it becomes a must win game. And I reckon this is 1 of them loose and west bromnwill soon catch us for 4th..
Good practice fert play offs this.

We ain't going auto, so i now want Soton to win league and us Ipswich and these lot toughing it out at Wembley

;@)
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:02 pm Good practice fert play offs this.

We ain't going auto, so i now want Soton to win league and us Ipswich and these lot toughing it out at Wembley
woudnt bank on top 6 just yet total capitulation could set in yet, plus with transfer window set to open and imminent departure of impetus child gnonto we don't know who else will follow through the door.
Onemanstanding
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Onemanstanding »

Can see this as being a very tight game, 1 goal in it is my guess.
Hopefully it's Leeds that get it.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

We'll win the next 2 games in league then throw it all away at cardiff :roll:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:19 pm woudnt bank on top 6 just yet total capitulation could set in yet, plus with transfer window set to open and imminent departure of impetus child gnonto we don't know who else will follow through the door.
Keep that positivity flowing Scoobie. I will be watching the match comments to see how soon you say Darlow is shite 😂😂
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:48 pm Keep that positivity flowing Scoobie. I will be watching the match comments to see how soon you say Darlow is shite 😂😂
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:00 pm Baggies forum has a stathead moaning about their inconsistencies, who'd thunk dat.

I've got an horrible feeling my recent chats about the Slenderman being good with his feet and due a c**k up, is gonna come true but with Darlow.

They're also worried about Townsend at LB, i'm 99% certain Gnonto starts tonight, got to be right one day, according to the stats.
I am also worried about Darlow. I think he will kick it long far more. What we have up top will need to adjust and win more 50/50’s and second balls. I will repeat the advice regularly hollered by my sons under 13’s coach back when “ Don’t let it bounce” and “Body shape”

The more direct approach from Darlow would probably suit James more than Gnonto.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:48 pm Keep that positivity flowing Scoobie. I will be watching the match comments to see how soon you say Darlow is shite 😂😂
You keep your optimism going fruit cake
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 pm I am also worried about Darlow. I think he will kick it long far more. What we have up top will need to adjust and win more 50/50’s and second balls. I will repeat the advice regularly hollered by my sons under 13’s coach back when “ Don’t let it bounce” and “Body shape”

The more direct approach from Darlow would probably suit James more than Gnonto.
Unless Darlow is useless with his feet, and Farke doesn’t trust him to play out from the back, I can’t see a massive change in tactics.

Time will tell, but when I’ve watched Darlow warming up at ER, he seems more than adequate on the ball.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:21 pm This will be a big test.

Not just of our very dodgy away form but of Farke's ability to find a way to break down an organised team.

WBA have the 2nd best defence in the league.
Hopefully the dodgy form factor is something to do with lesser teams. We have beaten both the top 2 away.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:40 pm Interestingly the beeb now have the Baggies lining up 4-2-3-1, whilst this earlier game in August 3-4-2-1, more recently Bartley and Mowatt have been featuring.

Our line up back in the day :
Meslier

Ayling
Rodon
Struijk
Byram

Gray
Ampadu

Shackleton
Gelhardt
James

Rutter
I think Shacks is a decent full back and midfielder un the championship. So no disrespect. But when I saw him starting on the right wing, that was truly a case of our squad at its worst.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Got that nervous feeling today. But that's all part of being a Leeds fan.

We shouldn't worry. We seem to beat the best teams and lose to the worse.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Scoobychief wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:53 pm There comes an point when it becomes a must win game. And I reckon this is 1 of them loose and west bromnwill soon catch us for 4th..
Sigh
Must win in December ffs

woudnt bank on top 6 just yet total capitulation could set in
- gotta laugh
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Don’t panic Mr Mainwaring. We’re winning this, keep the faith. I’ll be around tomorrow if anyone wants to say “ you were right Cussie “
Keeping The Faith