West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - My minute by minute summary of the game!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk Out, Byram, Cooper & Gruev In

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:49 am Seven forwards on the pitch.

No structure, no cohesion, no invention, no alternative plan.

Just pure chaos!
I didn't see any chaos.

Must've missed that bit.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:45 am Why are they not attending, have they got other commitments ? I don't believe they'll not otherwise.
One has commitments.

The other two put in much of their time, expense & effort travelling up & down the country watching dross, perhaps they need a breather!

I don't blame them.

Easy to sit in your armchair & be critical. I was offered tickets for our last few aways, had I attended last night, I wouldn't have arrived home until gone 2.30pm after a fifteen hours day.

Can't do it any more at my age, I'm far too busy!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:54 am One has commitments.

The other two put in much of their time, expense & effort travelling up & down the country watching dross, perhaps they need a breather!

I don't blame them.

Easy to sit in your armchair & be critical. I was offered tickets for our last few aways, had I attended last night, I wouldn't have arrived home until gone 2.30pm after a fifteen hours day.

Can't do it any more at my age, I'm far too busy!

I'm afraid you and these travelling fans are gonna have to be patient Sid.

I'll bet my bottom $ those without commitments will be there, sounds like just another kneejerk as per from Leeds fans.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:19 am Isn’t that a bad stat for us though Sean, i.e we could drop out of the play offs but won’t make the top two ?

Apologies if I’m misreading what you’re saying.
You could read it that way, as Shirley used to say "A little bit of history repeating"
But I prefer to think that it shows that fluctuations can happen, and we should not be surprised.
All I can hope for is to be on the right side of those fluctuations.
I still believe that a mighty spanner might be thrown in the works because of the African Cup,
And thankfully our team will be left intact unlike some of the other playoff contenders.
You have to ask are Ipswich beginning to experience a blip?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:54 am I didn't see any chaos.

Must've missed that bit.
How many shots did we have on target?

How many times where we took one touch too many, allowing defenders to block a shot?

Feeble efforts from Piroe, Gnonto & Anthony.

Awful free-kick from Piroe, hitting the wall once again.

Our crosses, the baggies were like chalk & cheese compared to ours.

Players getting in the way of each other as there was no space to operate.

Byram's offside goal was the only clean strike.

Bamford & Joseph not good enough.

Spence, Anthony, Piroe & Gnonto a waste of space.

In the end it was all kick & hope.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Anyway, back to the game.

There were some drained performances out there, Gruev didn't show me much, he doesn't have any real quality and is defensive, highlights why he hasn't turned to him earlier.
I could see why Darlow came for the ball he missed but he should've realised it was outswinging from the corner and that was the reason he got it wrong, otherwise his stand in wasn't bad, not much to judge him on really.

Spence was ok on the right and showed me that that could now give him an option with Gray

Jimmy was very much at fault for their goal.

We don't have any real depth in quality as 5 changes highlighted, Gnonto doesn't really bring anything to the team.

The only 2 changes i feel he can make to his favoured 11 are Spence for Gray and a debatable Gnonto for someone in the front 4, but i don't feel either makes a huge difference.

We know how good our best 11 can be on their day, and that's about where we're at if we don't add some more better players.

I have absolutely no doubt he's pondered a Piroe/Rutter slight alteration but i think that involves changing other things too, which i don't think he's got the luxury of.

We've hit a wall in more ways than one especially away from home, i'm looking forward to what January brings.

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Don’t see anything anywhere re Pascal. Injury status. When. How. When he returns.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

In the cold light of day, we got what we deserved.

The WBA goal was coming for 10 minutes before they scored, and we had huffed and puffed for 50 minutes by then. We hadn't tried to cross the ball - the reason we don't get daft deflected goals like Ipswich do is because we don't hurl it into the box enough to create proper chaos. Jimmy, Georginio & Gnonto wanted to play through another stubborn defence and score from 2 yards. Wasn't happening.

When James come on, who made a difference and wanted to try to cross the ball, they immediately introduced Bartley and nullified the threat.

And we're not aggressive enough. If there's a player on the deck it's likely to be Jimmy or Georginio, not one of theirs, and it's no good appealing to bent refs for protection. I'd like to see us dishing it out a bit rather than playing hard done by all the time.

And we just waste set pieces.

S***.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Beren Cross
@BerenCross
·
Follow
Struijk has an adductor injury and Farke does not expect it to keep him out for too long. #lufc
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Jaydog wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:54 am Beren Cross
@BerenCross
·
Follow
Struijk has an adductor injury and Farke does not expect it to keep him out for too long. #lufc
Thanks Jaydog 👍🏼
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The adductor strain was announced early.

Pay more attention at the back.

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 am In the cold light of day, we got what we deserved.

The WBA goal was coming for 10 minutes before they scored, and we had huffed and puffed for 50 minutes by then. We hadn't tried to cross the ball - the reason we don't get daft deflected goals like Ipswich do is because we don't hurl it into the box enough to create proper chaos. Jimmy, Georginio & Gnonto wanted to play through another stubborn defence and score from 2 yards. Wasn't happening.

When James come on, who made a difference and wanted to try to cross the ball, they immediately introduced Bartley and nullified the threat.

And we're not aggressive enough. If there's a player on the deck it's likely to be Jimmy or Georginio, not one of theirs, and it's no good appealing to bent refs for protection. I'd like to see us dishing it out a bit rather than playing hard done by all the time.

S***.
All our flaws in one post, Dave :tup:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

How many times do we see an opposition goal coming & having no faith in us scoring at the other end.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 am In the cold light of day, we got what we deserved.

S***.
We play inverted wingers, so little chance of crosses into the box... It's a tactical issue.

You do realise if we dish it out we're likely to get red cards? Rodon got one for f**k all earlier in the season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:59 am The adductor strain was announced early.

Pay more attention at the back.
I was flicking bogeys at Malcolm and missed it.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

The Subhuman wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:09 pm We play inverted wingers, so little chance of crosses into the box... It's a tactical issue.

You do realise if we dish it out we're likely to get red cards? Rodon got one for f**k all earlier in the season
We play wing-backs with Spence & Byram, they should be getting to the by-line and peppering the 6 yard box. That's where Piroe comes alive, he's doing sweet FA at the minute.

I'd take a few cards if it meant we stopped lesser teams just kicking lumps out of us all game, but we're not aggressive enough to go toe to toe and make the refs step up. Wee Billy must be turning in his grave.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:22 pm I’m convinced we, as in the crowd at ER, play a huge part in that. The players don’t get a moments peace and they know when we are not happy.

It’s a cauldron, and our home record would seem to back up how much it makes a difference.
No doubt this season the players are up for it at home BB. This bunch of players seem to love that big occasion at Elland Rd its just a shame that at times it looks like they can't be arsed away from home. Other than Amps and Rodon we don't look to have much fight in the dog when the going gets tough.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:16 pm We play wing-backs with Spence & Byram, they should be getting to the by-line and peppering the 6 yard box. That's where Piroe comes alive, he's doing sweet FA at the minute.

I'd take a few cards if it meant we stopped lesser teams just kicking lumps out of us all game, but we're not aggressive enough to go toe to toe and make the refs step up. Wee Billy must be turning in his grave.
Again apart from last night, they're inverted full backs. Gray is an inverted full back. As far as I know last night was the firs time Gnonto and Spence played as RW and RWB together so that would need a few games to turn into a good partnership. Gnonto of course better on the left and I've always maintained Summerville is a RW by nature
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:03 am You could read it that way, as Shirley used to say "A little bit of history repeating"
But I prefer to think that it shows that fluctuations can happen, and we should not be surprised.
All I can hope for is to be on the right side of those fluctuations.
I still believe that a mighty spanner might be thrown in the works because of the African Cup,
And thankfully our team will be left intact unlike some of the other playoff contenders.
You have to ask are Ipswich beginning to experience a blip?
I see what you mean now 👍.

Personally, as things stand, I think it’s play offs for us, but as you say it can all change quickly.

Let’s hope so 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:49 am Seven forwards on the pitch.

No structure, no cohesion, no invention, no alternative plan.

Just pure chaos!
It shows he has no idea
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:13 pm I see what you mean now 👍.

Personally, as things stand, I think it’s play offs for us, but as you say it can all change quickly.

Let’s hope so 👍
Apparently Luton came from 13th place at this stage last year.

Unlucky for some eh.

;@)