Leeds Utd v Preston Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Preston North End Match Thread

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm We stayed there for a weekend, Jill & I couldn't get out of the horrible place soon enough. :lol:
What on earth possessed you to go to Preston for a holiday? I worked for a couple of days there near the FA building, horrible place.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:58 pm We stayed there for a weekend, Jill & I couldn't get out of the horrible place soon enough. :lol:
Can only echo what Weasel said, wtf for?

Did you lose a bet?

Dreadful place
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

What does Piroe say about the penalty
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:37 pm Farke taking off one of our best players again ...does it a lot.
Last week he left Firpo on too log and he came off injured. Not making the same mistake this week.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CUSSIE01 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:21 pm I think Piroe said post match that he had said he was taking the penalty & Paddy was only holding the ball to take the pressure off him. Good to see his confidence & Paddy was one of the 1st to congratulate him.
I'm glad you pointed that out as a few have mentioned Paddy's selfless act of handing the ball off to Piroe

It's common for someone else to hold the ball to relieve the pressure then hand it off to the penalty taker. It also keeps the keeper guessing, Paddy was never taking the penalty. The only question was whether Piroe or Summerville would take it. So it was smart of Bamford to hold the ball and keep the keeper guessing.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm Ipswich have already played West Brom away. They lost 2-0
You're right it's at Ipswich, hopefully the Baggies can repeat that result.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:48 pm What was that yellow for Firpo all about? He got the ball and it wasn't even like it was a follow through tackle that caught their guy. Their guy was not even in the picture and just sort of ambled accross and got caught. Ref didn't even give a free kick yet booked Firpo. Was just ludicrous.
I was screaming at that point. The ref was losing it. It was shortly after Rodon got a two hand push in the back and Preston were given a corner.

Firpo cleared the ball. The Preston player came in late and caught Firpo's boot. The only person that was late was the Preston player. It was as if the ref thought, Ooh he got hurt, I have to give a yellow. Really amateurish.

At least he got the big call right.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm I'm glad you pointed that out as a few have mentioned Paddy's selfless act of handing the ball off to Piroe

It's common for someone else to hold the ball to relieve the pressure then hand it off to the penalty taker. It also keeps the keeper guessing, Paddy was never taking the penalty. The only question was whether Piroe or Summerville would take it. So it was smart of Bamford to hold the ball and keep the keeper guessing.
Rodon told him to do it via Farke to be fair
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm I'm glad you pointed that out as a few have mentioned Paddy's selfless act of handing the ball off to Piroe

You could be right, apparently the preston keeper was slagging off Bamford doing some trash talking, spewing at the mouth reminding Pat of his passed failures, expending all of his verbal energy, when all of a sudden it Joel taking the penalty and the ball is in the back of the net.

Pat took all the abuse from the keeper and took all the pressure of Joel, a selfless act that won the game.

Hail Lord Bamford.
hector

Post by hector »

Is that because you were being chased by the locals?? :) :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:19 pm What on earth possessed you to go to Preston for a holiday? I worked for a couple of days there near the FA building, horrible place.
I was there for a Leeds game, Weasel.

We did find a wonderful Italian restaurant on the way home in the middle of nowhere.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:18 pm 64 is not wrong though it is a sh*thole.
A friend of ours once said, "I wouldn't take my rubbish there" :lol:
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:48 pm Stop sitting on the fence fella. Say what you think for goodness sake
🤣🤣🤣
Keeping The Faith
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:46 pm Makes me laugh when some folk put Firpo ahead of James who once again was brilliant.
It's absolutely feckin astounding innit Sid what their eyes actually see, i'm just convinced they shouldn't even be talkin about footy, talk about exaggeration.

Firpo's run to get to the shite ball from Jimmy was excellent, to put that cross in like he did for James was top drawer, he pulled it from nowhere and it was a great ball in.

The rest of his game was ok and should be the least to expect of any full back worth his salt, with some defensive lapses that he got away with.

The conditions made it tough going all round, but we were again by far the better team, that found a way to win on a difficult day against cunting opponents, yet again we could and should have had more goals, and yet again i can hardly remember them testing our keeper bar the fluky shite opener.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Orange Box wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:25 pm in rugby thats called a no-arm shoulder charge. And it's an instant red card. And thats Rugby!
I like that, lol...I'm just picturing what it would've looked like if the PNE guy had actually used his arms ala the Rugby tackle.

I think it would've taken the 'did he just barge into him' out of the equation :roflmao:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:08 pm Rodon told him to do it via Farke to be fair
I think the only question was Summerville or Piroe
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:39 pm I think the only question was Summerville or Piroe
I think Piroe is our #1 if he's on the pitch.. then you can perm Summerville/Bamford and Struijk depending on circumstances.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:52 pm Several clubs have been deploying those spoiling tactics this season, taking it in turns to foul our players, it sickens me, that they get away with it.
If only DF could use his bench so effectively 🤔😂
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:24 pm What does Piroe say about the penalty
It is a tactic mate - McAtee did exactly the same thing for the blunts against Spam then handed it to McBurnie , it has been going on since the last WC.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

weasel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:48 pm What was that yellow for Firpo all about? He got the ball and it wasn't even like it was a follow through tackle that caught their guy. Their guy was not even in the picture and just sort of ambled accross and got caught. Ref didn't even give a free kick yet booked Firpo. Was just ludicrous.
Weasel, my suspicion was that there was a foul called on the follow-through, which was extremely lame. Not sure if something was said afterwards as Firpo was, justly IMHO, contesting that a foul was even called. So dissent, perhaps? But I disagree that it was even a foul. This one was reminiscent of last week’s yellow against Gruev, another poor call against us where our player got all ball.

Has there been any indication of Paddy’s offense? I saw someone hit the ground during the scuffle, but I swore that was one of our players that hit the deck. Strange. I’ll have to check the replay.
Last edited by JoeDenver on Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United