Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle
4th Round FA Cup - 27th January@15:00 | Elland Road

Leeds face their second match in less than 72 hours, with the arrival of Plymouth Argyle in the fourth round of the FA Cup, at the weekend.

The two sides last met in November (at ER) when Dan James and Joel Piroe were on target to ensure a narrow win for Daniel Farke's side; yet the Pilgrims have proved to be no pushovers! With two wins and two draws so far this year, the Pilgrims are starting to build momentum, and have moved clear of the relegation dog fight.

Leeds have won all five games in 2024, and have only conceded once. They'll be keen to keep this record intact for as long as they can, but will be concentrating their efforts on the league.

Injuries to Archie Gray and Dan James are not as serious as first feared. Both took knocks during the midweek win over Norwich, and may be out for several weeks. In particular, the Leeds medical team had feared that Gray had torn his ACL, but tests since have shown bruising and swelling only.

After finding himself on the bench over the last three or four games, Joel Piroe may get recalled to the starting XI, allowing Patrick Bamford a break. Having scored in four of his last five games, Daniel Farke will want to keep the 30yo fresh for the visit of Bristol City a week on Friday!

Wilfred Gnonto has returned from his hip injury, and may be preferred over Jaidon Anthony to replace Dan James on the right wing. With Karl Darlow suffering from a dislocated thumb, Kristoffer Klaesson could start his third game of the season, should Farke decide to rest Meslier.

Liam Cooper is pressing for game time, which would give Ethan Ampadu some well deserved time off. The ever present midfielder has been filling in at centre back for Pascal Struijk, who has a groin strain. Sam Byram and Jamie Shackleton will fight it out for the vacant right-back slot, with Junior Firpo likely to keep his place on the left.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by Cjay »

Need plenty of changes league is the priority.

Rest Summerville and Rutter and start Gelhardt and Poveda.

Tempted to rest Bamford as well and start Piroe

Anthony for James.

Bring Cresswell back ffs and give Rodon a rest.

Cooper for Ampadu.

Shackleton for Gruev

Byram for Gray
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:34 pm Need plenty of changes league is the priority.

Anthony for James.

Cooper for Ampadu.

Shackleton for Gruev

Byram for Gray
I'd be happy for Cresswell to partner Cooper at CB for this game but as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months, he has zero chance of being picked.
I think Piroe will replace Bamford and Gnonto (if fit) and Anthony will be on the wings.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:47 pm I'd be happy for Cresswell to partner Cooper at CB for this game but as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months, he has zero chance of being picked.
I think Piroe will replace Bamford and Gnonto (if fit) and Anthony will be on the wings.
I'm sure he doesn't but how much longer can Rodon and Ampadu play every minute week in week out.
Signed

King Cjay

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:34 pm Need plenty of changes league is the priority.

Anthony for James.

Cooper for Ampadu.

Shackleton for Gruev

Byram for Gray
I agree. I'd make 11 changes. But I don't think we have that many 1st team players.

The schedule has been tough since the holidays and I'd like to see as many as possible get a rest.

I'd bring back Cresswell too. Hopefully his body language has been better since being called out. At the least it could be a good audition for a move before the window closes.

Klaessen. Shackleton, Byram, Cooper, Cresswell, Gelhardt, Poveda, Anthony, Gnonto, Piroe all to be involved
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

Think we can win this but wouldn't be the end of the world to me if we don't. Would much rather get on with our promotion push than go further in a Cup we wouldn't end up winning anyway.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think we can do both

Klaesson
Byram
Firpo
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
Poveda
Kamara
Piroe
Georginio
Anthony
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Who doesn't appear on the teamsheet might give an indication that they maybe sold or loaned elsewhere.
lufcconnor

Post by lufcconnor »

Sean_Nile wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:44 am Who doesn't appear on the teamsheet might give an indication that they maybe sold or loaned elsewhere.
Good shout, especially if the gaffer puts a properly rotated squad out. Any idea who you think is on the way out mate?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:56 pm I'm sure he doesn't but how much longer can Rodon and Ampadu play every minute week in week out.
That's the reason why we need another solid CB Farke trusts.

Can't our board see if we lose Rodon or Ampadu, we are absolutely f**ked

Why are they playing Russian roulette?
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

lufcconnor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:48 am Good shout, especially if the gaffer puts a properly rotated squad out. Any idea who you think is on the way out mate?
Not near the first team but a defender for the U21's

Leeds United can confirm that Jeremiah Mullen has joined Inverness Caledonian Thistle on loan until the end of the 2023/24 season
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I'd be tempted to go

GK Messlier
RB Byram/Shackleton
LB Firpo
CB Cooper
CB Rodon
DM Ampadu
CM Gruev
LW Anthony
RW Gnonto/Poveda
FW Piroe
FW Bamford

Gives us a balance of freshening up but still a very strong line up. Kamara to play if Ampadu is needed in defence or if Farke wants to give Ampadu a rest. Gives Farke the opportunity to see how Bamford and Piroe could link up together in case Rutter gets injured.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:07 am That's the reason why we need another solid CB Farke trusts.

So who's this solid cb who we can bring in on loan that is as good as Rodon and Ampadu, better than Struyjk and Cooper, and is happy to warm the bench.

Out of the names we have been linked with Godfrey is the only one I would think ticks the boxes and that would be more down to Farke knowing him, than just on ability, as he would know Godfrey's character and whether he'd slot in personality and temperament wise even if just used in a supportng role.

I think a lot depends on the extent of Struyjk's injury. If he is likely to be out a while then I think we probably need another centreback. If Struyjk is nearly back then I don't think there is an issue with having Rodon, Struyjk, Cooper and Ampadu to contest the 2 positions and potentially Gruev too.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by pjm2019 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:07 am That's the reason why we need another solid CB Farke trusts.

when you see lists containing the richest owners for the perm and champ leagues 49's are in the top 6 so either the numbers are wrong and they do not have the cash or the board just does not get the english football leagues. And do not repey with any FFS as this LUFC are no where near any limits
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:16 am So who's this solid cb who we can bring in on loan that is as good as Rodon and Ampadu, better than Struyjk and Cooper, and is happy to warm the bench.

Out of the names we have been linked with Godfrey is the only one I would think ticks the boxes and that would be more down to Farke knowing him, than just on ability, as he would know Godfrey's character and whether he'd slot in personality and temperament wise even if just used in a supportng role.

I think a lot depends on the extent of Struyjk's injury. If he is likely to be out a while then I think we probably need another centreback. If Struyjk is nearly back then I don't think there is an issue with having Rodon, Struyjk, Cooper and Ampadu to contest the 2 positions and potentially Gruev too.
Godfrey has similar qualities to Rodon, so hopefully we play Ben alongside Joe. If Rodon breaks down, one of the others plays alongside Godfrey, then we may not miss Rodon as much.

I'm unsure you realise the implications of losing Rodon.

There is always a mistake in Cooper & Struijk, the thought of them playing as a CB combination frightens the living daylights out of me.

By signing a Godfrey who can play as a CB & a FB, Ampadu & Gray can be utilised in midfield, should we have an injury crisis in that position.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Also, with Ampadu playing alongside Rodon and the introduction of Bamford, Gruev & Firpo into the team, there has been a slight change in our style of play, we tend to be a bit more direct at times.

Rodon & Ampadu is our best CB combination imo, one goal conceded in our last four matches with that pairing.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 am Also, with Ampadu playing alongside Rodon and the introduction of Bamford, Gruev & Firpo into the team, there has been a slight change in our style of play, we tend to be a bit more direct at times.

Rodon & Ampadu is our best CB combination imo, one goal conceded in our last four matches with that pairing.
But 5 matches ago the Struyjk & Rodon combination was the best we had, Ampadu was irreplaceable in midfield, Gruev was not good enough, Firpo was shite and Bamford was finished.

Have a bit of faith in Farke, he knows what he has in this squad. None of us would have played Gray at right back, none of us would have signed Byram to play left back, most would have been happier to start Cresswell than bring in a loan centreback etc

Farke has assembled a squad, not just a first team. He has restored confidence in players who looked shot, he has brought players into the team at the right time, he has come up with solutions when problems have arose. 5 weeks ago Bamford, Gruev and Firpo were seen as 3 weak players on our bench yet now all 3 are probably first choice in their positions. Who is to say the others on the bench won't step up if they had to start matches - yes it might take them a couple of games but I would be confident that they would.

Farke has also identified which players aren't good eonugh for him. Ayling, Hjelde, Spence, Cresswell, Gyabi etc. He knows what he wants and what they are capable of. Some fans may disagree and would have had Cresswell alongisde Rodon 5 matches ago or Hjelde at full back instead of Firpo. I think Farke is very underrated/underappreciated by many on here in terms of what he has done for us.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:16 am So who's this solid cb who we can bring in on loan that is as good as Rodon and Ampadu, better than Struyjk and Cooper, and is happy to warm the bench.

You need 4 natural cbs

Ampadu isn't a cb.

Even Farke admitted that the issue with Cresswell means we are considering a cb

This square pegs thing does my head in :lol:

Dms at cb, cms at rb, strikers in midfield.

You don't see Klopp putting Andy Robertson in midfield or Mo Salah at left back or Thiago at cb

It's not a good long term strategy, ok for a game or two, you wouldn't want to use it for 10+ games.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:32 pm But 5 matches ago the Struyjk & Rodon combination was the best we had, Ampadu was irreplaceable in midfield, Gruev was not good enough, Firpo was shite and Bamford was finished.

Have a bit of faith in Farke, he knows what he has in this squad. None of us would have played Gray at right back, none of us would have signed Byram to play left back, most would have been happier to start Cresswell than bring in a loan centreback etc

Farke has assembled a squad, not just a first team. He has restored confidence in players who looked shot, he has brought players into the team at the right time, he has come up with solutions when problems have arose. 5 weeks ago Bamford, Gruev and Firpo were seen as 3 weak players on our bench yet now all 3 are probably first choice in their positions. Who is to say the others on the bench won't step up if they had to start matches - yes it might take them a couple of games but I would be confident that they would.

Farke has also identified which players aren't good eonugh for him. Ayling, Hjelde, Spence, Cresswell, Gyabi etc. He knows what he wants and what they are capable of. Some fans may disagree and would have had Cresswell alongisde Rodon 5 matches ago or Hjelde at full back instead of Firpo. I think Farke is very underrated/underappreciated by many on here in terms of what he has done for us.
I have total faith in Farke, he's doing a brilliant job on limited resources, the simple fact is, he needs more back-up options, particularly defensively, if you can't see it, that's your opinion.

I personally feel Leeds will make a couple of signings next week, as injuries are kicking in & it's a long old season.

Oh, and I've never advocated for Cresswell or Hjelde to start, personally I don't think they are good enough, as is the case with several of our bench options. Farke doesn't either, as he rarely plays them. Some will get a game tomorrow.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:56 pm You need 4 natural cbs

Ampadu isn't a cb.

Even Farke admitted that the issue with Cresswell means we are considering a cb

This square pegs thing does my head in :lol:

Dms at cb, cms at rb, strikers in midfield.

You don't see Klopp putting Andy Robertson in midfield or Mo Salah at left back or Thiago at cb

It's not a good long term strategy, ok for a game or two, you wouldn't want to use it for 10+ games.
You do see Klopp putting Trent Alexander-Arnold in midfield though........

You see Salah on the wing instead of as a through the middle striker.

He put Milner in just about every position there was short of the 69.

Ampadu has probably played as many matches at centreback as he has in DM in his career. He has likely also played alongside Rodon as centrebacks at international level. Just because a player plays in one position doesn't mean that is the only position they can play. Often players have ended up playing a position at school and simply stuck with it. Some PE teacher sees a lad with pace and sticks him on the wing or at fullback. Or say you are a youngster coming through the academy. Your position is striker but there are two strikers better than you in your age group. Your option is to be a sub or maybe try out another position where the competition for the place isn't as high. So you end up playing rightback and do so well that it becomes your position and you stay as a rightback but you still know how to play as striker and maybe at some point you end up back as a striker. Alan Shearer went for trials at Newcastle Utd as a keeper.