Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds United v Plymouth Argyle Match Thread

Post by whiteswan »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm There was something special about the FA Cup in the 70s, even early 80s. You're right it was the build up.
Like so many great sports events, it's now almost just another game.

Let's be dead honest, what were saying about the Cup applies to the PL too. Each season there are only 3 or 4 teams who can win it - purely related to which oligarchs and morally corrput countries have bought teams and given them limitless budgets.

Saudi money is destroying football, golf, motor racing and whatever else they turn their blood money to. I suppose us fans have got to make the game what we want it to be

If we land up in the final against one of the big 4, I wonder how many of those snubbing their noses up right now will be in line for tickets at Wembly?

I'm not against a "Cup run". I do agree it's an annoyance when you're competing for promotion, but I try to see the bigger picture here. I am just happy to see my team competing and playing decent football.

Hell of a goal from Anthony today!
Which rich four are you referring to Malcolm out of the rich six?
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:44 pm Which rich four are you referring to Malcolm out of the rich six?
:roflmao: you're right. Take your pick.

It's actually pretty sad isn't it.
Sports administrators seem either powerless or gutless (or both) to resist money overtaking all else in sport.
In the end it actually devalues the game.

What is happening in golf right now is so sad and shameful.

The so-called Saudi football league is nothing more than a joke.

Now they want to hold the finals of women's tennis in Saudi???

The world is going mad.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:23 pm But surely rushing out to buy a couple of players just to boost the bench, who may not fit the system isn't the solution either?

I'm sure Farke and the team would have brought in a player or players who they feel do fit the system if they were available. Some on here are making out they're not trying to recruit. Where are the facts supporting that?

Farke said it would likely be a quiet window - mainly because those we'd like to bring in are not currently available.

His training regime seems not (quite) as physically demanding as Marcelo's. That what "blew a lot of gaskets" in that squad.

Large squads can be as problematic as small squads, especially if they're disjointed.

Bringing in another Poveda or Shackleton is not going to add any value whatsoever for the remainder of this season.
They've had MONTHS to prepare for this window. Poveda, Shackleton, Joseph, Gelhardt and Anthony are not good enough, and Firpo, Byram and Bamford are injuries waiting to happen.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gnonto, Piroe & Shackleton receiving plenty of criticism above, with our full-backs going awol for the goal

Rodon, Coops, Ampadu, Anthony, Rutter & Gruev taking the plaudits

Complacency the common factor,
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:27 pm Gnonto, Piroe & Shackleton receiving plenty of criticism above, with our full-backs going awol for the goal

Complacency wasn't the problem for me today. As I mentioned earlier when it is so easy in the match, as it was in the first half, as a player you sort of slip into comfort mode. When the opposition suddenly make a match of it it can be very hard for you to get back to the level you should be at. That looked like the case today where we strolled through the first half and should have put the game to bed.

Sort of reminded me of many Bielsa matches where we'd dominate for 70 minutes on cruise control, have pummelled the oppositon 20 shots to 0 but only be 1-0 up. Suddenly the opposition give it a go, they reaise themselves for the last 20 minutes and we'd struggle because we'd been playing for the last 30 or 40 minutes in 2nd gear. Plymouth got their second wind because they were still int he game and at 1-0 there will likely always be a chance or two for the opposition as the match wears on.
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:09 pm They've had MONTHS to prepare for this window. Poveda, Shackleton, Joseph, Gelhardt and Anthony are not good enough, and Firpo, Byram and Bamford are injuries waiting to happen.
THIS. Poveda is too diminutive for this league, IMHO. Aside from a couple initial sparks when he came on, he just looked to get shoved off the ball continuously. And Shacks is a jack of all trades, master of none. Another true fullback gives us better cover there.

Joseph needs loaned out to a League 1 side as I don’t see him getting into a Championship side. All he does is foul players when he comes on. Joffy isn’t good enough to contribute and should probably go back on loan/be sold off.

Anthony shows flashes, but only on the left and is surplus to requirements there given our having Gnonto. Perhaps a straight swap for Brooks for Anthony with Bournemouth?

Tactically, I felt Shacks was wasted out on the right and pushed too far up throughout the match. We were lucky we only got exposed for the goal once as there were other moments he left exposed. Given Farke’s preference for having his right backs holding slightly back relative to the left back role and the tendency for Shacks to push forward , Shacks should’ve been in the left back role. That would’ve permitted the consistency of his system.

Also felt Kamara should’ve been in for Ampadu as Gruev and Amps are too similar of players.

And Piroe is a conundrum. Lost the ball constantly and was anonymous away from the ball. I just don’t see how he fits the system. He’s neither a 9 nor a 10.

And you’re right about the how injury prone Firpo, Byram, and Bamford are…would make a case for another 2 positions of need…especially if we’re able to loan out Joffy and Joseph.

Just a crap result as a won or loss would’ve been more desirable.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:45 pm Complacency wasn't the problem for me today. As I mentioned earlier when it is so easy in the match, as it was in the first half, as a player you sort of slip into comfort mode. When the opposition suddenly make a match of it it can be very hard for you to get back to the level you should be at. That looked like the case today where we strolled through the first half and should have put the game to bed.

Sort of reminded me of many Bielsa matches where we'd dominate for 70 minutes on cruise control, have pummelled the oppositon 20 shots to 0 but only be 1-0 up. Suddenly the opposition give it a go, they reaise themselves for the last 20 minutes and we'd struggle because we'd been playing for the last 30 or 40 minutes in 2nd gear. Plymouth got their second wind because they were still int he game and at 1-0 there will likely always be a chance or two for the opposition as the match wears on.
Sounds like complacency to me
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Rutter overplayed today and cost us, I was starting to think I'd been seeing things

https://www.leedsunited.news/news/decis ... uch-today/

I saw a pundit rating of 2 for him in a recent game, where he had lost possession 28 times but came off smiling when subbed in extra time. I'd be interested in the number of dispossessions down to him over the last 5 games, where we've been doing so well.

Is Farke afraid to rein him in in case he shatters his newfound confidence of this season?

I love the guy, but as I said earlier, when he's not being brilliant he's a liability. Certainly not an 8.5 - 9.5 for me today.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:27 pm Gnonto, Piroe & Shackleton receiving plenty of criticism above, with our full-backs going awol for the goal

I certainly thought complacency was an issue. There were a couple of early passes from Rutter and Ampadu that went to their players. We settled into the game after about 10 minutes and for the rest of the first half. 2nd half we came out slow again - as if at 1-0 up the job was done. We invited them onto us and allowed them to have most of the possession for the period up to their goal. Their goal was not against the run of play and was certainly coming.

Some of it revolves around the slow build up. Shows no urgency. Doesn't make much sense to willy nilly around the back against lesser sides. We should be moving the ball quicker. Getting it into attacking areas quicker where we know we have the man for man superiority.

It narked me a couple of times late on when the substitutions were happening. At one point Anthony was taking a corner. It was about a 60 second break in the play. Then the ref whistled for play to continue. At that point Anthony put the ball down to take the corner. Where's the urgency? The ball should have been in place and ready to go. A few minutes later exactly the same thing happened from a Meslier goal kick. In fact I heard the crowd getting on at Meslier a couple of times. We're making it too easy for lesser opponents against us.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:32 pm Plus Bristol City & Swansea in two weeks.

2000 miles of travel.
Suspect we will enlist the chartered jet for Plymouth (twice). That makes it a 1 hour journey.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:29 pm 2nd string lacked match fitness for the 2nd half, 1st string were all ok throughout.

Was a good run out for all.
Certainly was a good run out.

As weasel said, we might need these 2nd team players in a few weeks and with some match fitness that is ping to help.

Frustrating game though. We seemed to taking it too easy in the 2nd half.

Their goal was very slack. Started a few moves earlier from a very odd back pass, two plays later they were in on goal.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:47 pm Sounds like complacency to me
Complacency would be underestimating the opposition and not preparing right. I don't think that was the case, we looked up for it and were 'at it' from the start. For me the only problem was second half. We started okay in the second half, still cruising but midway through the second half they gave it a go and to be fair probably surprised us.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

JoeDenver wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 pm THIS. Poveda is too diminutive for this league, IMHO. Aside from a couple initial sparks when he came on, he just looked to get shoved off the ball continuously. And Shacks is a jack of all trades, master of none. Another true fullback gives us better cover there.

Joseph needs loaned out to a League 1 side as I don’t see him getting into a Championship side. All he does is foul players when he comes on. Joffy isn’t good enough to contribute and should probably go back on loan/be sold off.

Anthony shows flashes, but only on the left and is surplus to requirements there given our having Gnonto. Perhaps a straight swap for Brooks for Anthony with Bournemouth?

Tactically, I felt Shacks was wasted out on the right and pushed too far up throughout the match. We were lucky we only got exposed for the goal once as there were other moments he left exposed. Given Farke’s preference for having his right backs holding slightly back relative to the left back role and the tendency for Shacks to push forward , Shacks should’ve been in the left back role. That would’ve permitted the consistency of his system.

Also felt Kamara should’ve been in for Ampadu as Gruev and Amps are too similar of players.

And Piroe is a conundrum. Lost the ball constantly and was anonymous away from the ball. I just don’t see how he fits the system. He’s neither a 9 nor a 10.

And you’re right about the how injury prone Firpo, Byram, and Bamford are…would make a case for another 2 positions of need…especially if we’re able to loan out Joffy and Joseph.

Just a crap result as a won or loss would’ve been more desirable.
A tricky one with some of those players mentioned. Gelhardt the biggest enigma given his impact as a sub in the prem. Shackleton is fine at this level, he is probably 4th choice full back and 5th choice central midfielder but I doubt we could realistically get anyone better to come in and be that.

I think the full back situation you mentioned, about the left back being allowed to go further forward than the right back is dependant on who the full backs are. When Ayling was playing he was always going further forward than Byram was on the left. So am guessing today he was told to be going further forward than Byram.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:09 pm They've had MONTHS to prepare for this window. Poveda, Shackleton, Joseph, Gelhardt and Anthony are not good enough, and Firpo, Byram and Bamford are injuries waiting to happen.
OK, then I'm sticking with the most likely fact that who is available is not a good fit for where we're going.

The reason we have the very players that are being criticized in this thread is because we made poor / knee-jerk recruiting decisions in the past.

The players who have come in since the pre-season have mostly become our hero's e.g. Amp, Rodon, etc.
But suddenly management don't know how to recruit because we haven't brought anyone in - so far - during this window.

Stop panicking FFS.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Clitheroe White wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:12 pm Certainly was a good run out.

As weasel said, we might need these 2nd team players in a few weeks and with some match fitness that is ping to help.

Frustrating game though. We seemed to taking it too easy in the 2nd half.

Their goal was very slack. Started a few moves earlier from a very odd back pass, two plays later they were in on goal.
Well said. Important to take the positives and negatives from today. Positive was that it wasn't two dropped league points, that fringe players got a run out and that if we could finish we'd have won at a canter and still being in the cup with another match where fringe players can get minutes in a competitive game. Negative is obviously having another game witht he potential for injuries and burnout. For me the positives outweigh the negatives and if we need to field a complete reserve side in the replay we can.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

DF putting 2 Keepers on the bench again :)

Screams at the board : " GET ME 2 FCKING PLAYERS YOU TWATS!"
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:48 pm :clap: :clap: :clap:
They have just played 3 games 6 days
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I don’t understand the comments that when a player comes in his impact must be instantaneous. Last week it was Anthony, I haven’t seen the game but he scored a cracking goal. Now Shacks nor Poveda are any good. So many knee jerk reactions to a players first game in a while and yet there is continuous criticism about the lack of rotation. I am truly at a loss as to what would satisfy some contributors.