Flat track bullies - Southampton

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Flat track bullies - Southampton

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:16 am Like you say they have had the lucky excapes and that boils down to the quality of their players which makes them more clinical at both ends of the pitch. I know you have made a lot about Farke having a good squad but in comparison to the the stability that the LEciester squad have what Farke has achieved so far is far more impressive to me than what Poundland Pep has done at Leicester. I made the comment that Leicester shouldn't have gone down and it was poor management that took them down as they had a good squad. Whereas we had poor managers but also a poor squad - a better manager probably keeps us up but we still had a much poorer squad than Leicester's.
I think Farke and Maresca will face similar challenges if promoted.

But I agree pound for pound I think Farke has done a better job than Poundland Pep.

He had a more difficult summer, he has done better in the bigger games.

And he isn't relying on a massive xG overperforming attack.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ipswich and Southampton doing as I predicted - albeit Saint's losing to a bottom half side. Ipswich had a very tough run of games and are now back to picking up wins v the poorer sides - they appear to be flat track bullies too.

Updated estimate

Leicester 104.43pts
Leeds 98.06pts
Ipswich 97.17pts
Southampton 88.80pts
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

After the latest results

Updated estimate based on home and away results so far against top half and bottom half teams.

Leicester 102pts
Ipswich 98pts
Leeds 97pts
Southampton 89pts

Southampton despite getting the win are leakier than a cheap nappy. Ipswich are bouncing back well with some on paper easier matches. Leicester having a major wobble and us producing a flat performance but hopefully we get that out of our system quickly and get back to a winning run.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

After tonight's result

Updated estimate based on home and away results so far against top half and bottom half teams.

Leicester 103.16pts
Ipswich 98.32pts
Leeds 98.24pts
Southampton 88.22pts
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

After the Ipswich result

Leicester 103.16pts
Leeds 98.24pts
Ipswich 96.36pts
Southampton 88.22pts
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Predicted end of season, stats wise, after today's results:

Leicester 100.74 points
Ipswich 98.98
Leeds 98.89
Southampton 88.05

Very interesting that when this thread was started a lot of fans, from Leicester and Southampton as well, had basically discarded Ipswich. I made the point at the time that Ipswich had played lots of top half teams in their wobble whilst Southampton had somehow only played a handful of matches against top half sides in their 20+ unbeaten run. Seems fairly much that things have played out as predicted with Ipswich recovering against easier opposition and Southampton struggling against the bigger boys in the playground.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 pm Predicted end of season, stats wise, after today's results:

Leicester 100.74 points
Ipswich 98.98
Leeds 98.89
Southampton 88.05

Very interesting that when this thread was started a lot of fans, from Leicester and Southampton as well, had basically discarded Ipswich. I made the point at the time that Ipswich had played lots of top half teams in their wobble whilst Southampton had somehow only played a handful of matches against top half sides in their 20+ unbeaten run. Seems fairly much that things have played out as predicted with Ipswich recovering against easier opposition and Southampton struggling against the bigger boys in the playground.
Yes. People thought they’d fade. These people have zero understanding of fading.
I’m an expert fade spotter.
Ipswich won’t fade. As predicted.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 pm Predicted end of season, stats wise, after today's results:

Leicester 100.74 points
Ipswich 98.98
Leeds 98.89
Southampton 88.05

Does that mean we get 98 points but miss out on goals scored?
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:08 pm Does that mean we get 98 points but miss out on goals scored?
They say that a big positive goal difference at the end of the season is worth an extra point, and at the moment we are well ahead of Ipswich
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Leicester 100.74 points
Ipswich 98.98
Leeds 98.89
Southampton 88.05

Damn, I was hoping we’d hit 99 points. Now I see we’ve fallen short. Bugger.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:52 am Damn, I was hoping we’d hit 99 points. Now I see we’ve fallen short. Bugger.
Estimate is based on us maintaining the same form we have shown all season taken into account home and away perfromances and results against top half and bottom half. We have continually pushed our estimated target upwards, as have Ipswich whilst Southampton and Leicester have nosedived.

We have now overtaken the total points that we got when we were promoted, as champions, under Wilko. That season we finished on 85 points.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interestingly Southampton have only won 2 matches away from home against teams in the top 13. 2 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses for the flat track bullies. Doesn't suggest they will launch a fightback v Leicester (though they will no doubt beat us given our knack of losing to teams out of form, teams on losng runs etc).
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I wonder if any of the Saints fans who disagreed with me will have changed their minds?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:42 pm I wonder if any of the Saints fans who disagreed with me will have changed their minds?
Can see why they concede so many.

They've over taken that DF Norwich team now as well for goals conceded.

Amount of teams who get promoted conceding 55+ goals is very low for a reason.

Absolute pathetic tonight.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

They were complete garbage. It's just not entertaining. Infact Leicester actually were as they didn't play poundland Pep stuff tonight, far more progressive.